News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Okula

Re: Russian Open in Moscow
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2014, 01:56:53 PM »
I really don't have any beef with anyone playing in this event.  My comment was restricted to how the venue for the event was chosen -- the same way it's chosen everywhere else.  Money.

However this quote from Michael made me want to bring up something I've read recently:

These guys have to make a living.

This logic has been the downfall of ethical behavior over the past 20-30 years.  Here's the explanation I read for it:

"At no time in the history of mankind has [this] situation been seen in such an acute form. ...  Ask any of his relatives (or friends) why they can tolerate it and don't just ostracize him or harass him to tears, avoid him at the next family funeral.  The answer is likely to be "everyone needs to make a living" -- as they are hedging the possibility of their falling into the same situation some day.

"We need to test the direction of the arrow:

Ethics (and beliefs)  --->  Profession

or

Profession --->  Ethics (and beliefs) "

Tom,

Are you saying it is unethical for professional golfers to play in a competition in Russia?

If that's the case, then it must also be unethical for any other foreigner to work in Russia, and furthermore, unethical for anyone to trade with Russia, which includes most countries in the world.

I would also like to know the context of the quote you post.
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Steve Okula

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2014, 02:01:07 PM »
It is not the equal of the 1936 Berlin Olympics, but in profoundly bad taste to consort with known war criminals (Putin).

Hell, half the world thinks George W. Bush is a war criminal.
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Ivan Lipko

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2014, 05:27:46 PM »
Guys, what some of you say isn't even funny. Hopefully, it's some sort of banter. But if not, it shows your complete ignorance. Just saying.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back