News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris_Hufnagel

How Golf Lost the Millennials
« on: July 24, 2014, 02:17:34 PM »
I thought this was a pretty interesting view on the current state of the golf industry and was a nice consolidation of many thoughts/threads we have seen on the pages of GCA lately.  

The Millennial Generation is a force in today's economy and I suppose having "lost" them is not a good harbinger of things to come...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mattpowell/2014/07/24/sneakernomics-how-golf-lost-the-millennials/

John Kavanaugh

Re: How Golf Lost the Millennials
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 02:52:19 PM »
My generation ruined junior golf for the kids born from 1980+.  I know that I would not be playing today if I had a helicopter mom following me around in the 70's.  I learned everything I know about enjoying life from my days of youth golfing with my buds and my mommy would have put a stop to all of it.  Sadly, many of these same Millennials end up with a helicopter wife.  Golf don't play that game.

DMoriarty

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 02:59:41 PM »

Life was apparently so much better when family members couldn't stand each other.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Jud_T

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 03:02:04 PM »
John,

I agree.  As soon as my 10 year old was spending 5 hour rounds grinding over 5-footers in medal play Junior tournaments I knew the fat lady was gargling in the wings.

Re-the inclusion point-  the most shocking thing to me recently was the vitriolic response to private clubs not listing their membership fees online.  I understand inclusion, but the intensity of some of the reactions was, shall we say, illuminating...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 05:04:11 PM by Jud_T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Adam Clayman

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 03:04:16 PM »
Was that actually the NGF that came out with these recent numbers?

Issues I found questionable in this authors synopsis ; "Doing the same thing over and over again for four hours"? ,,, sounds like a maintenance meld problem. Which brings us to the gca, and how the perceived ideal canvas, post WWII, led to the loss of participants by putting the golfer to sleep with repetitive dictated bowling ally looking dreck.

And, "the rules are too complicated"? They really do want it easy, don't they?

The only ones suffering here are those with an industry mindset, that thought charging $500 a club, and/or a round, was ever going to last.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

George Pazin

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 03:10:25 PM »
That article was written by a simpleton with little knowledge of how the real world works. Instead of "Sneakernomics", perhaps Mr. Powell should call it "Stupidnomics", or "Ignoranomics", which is what happens when "smart" people write what they think should happen, rather than what does happen.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Will Peterson

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 03:19:06 PM »
John - definitely agree with that, and it's only getting worse.  When I was playing junior golf (born 1980), there were a few parents, but not too many.  I've been around some junior events in the last five years, and it seemed that there were very few players without a parent present.

Although I agree about pace being too slow, I find it ironic that golf takes too long for Millennials, but from my experience, most of the slowest players I run into are Millennials.

I realize it is a small slice of the golfing universe, but I'm very apprehensive when paired with anyone under 25 at a tournament.  For the vast majority, pace is glacial.

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 03:22:19 PM »
Now if we could just embark on a strategy to lose a few others, we could be well onto something ;) ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

JESII

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 03:29:50 PM »
What is a Millennial?

Born in this century? Or growing up (like teens and twenties...) in the first decade or two of this century?

I was born in 1974, what am I?

Brent Hutto

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 03:32:32 PM »
Jim,

I believe the media means the generation born between roughly 1980 and 2000. So it would be one generation later than yourself (and two generations later than me and some of the other guys active in this thread).

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 03:33:05 PM »
Although I agree about pace being too slow, I find it ironic that golf takes too long for Millennials, but from my experience, most of the slowest players I run into are Millennials.

I've never bought into the theory that golf takes too long for Millennials and thus, is keeping them away. Yes, it takes too long, but that's more a problem for people in the prime of their careers who are juggling family and demanding job obligations. The writers of some of these stories make it sound as if Millennials can only spare 2.5 hours for golf because they've reserved the other 2.5 for texting and playing angry birds. That's BS.

Another thing to consider is that more and more of the younger generations are moving back to the big cities, where there is no such thing as a quick 4 hours door-to-door or a weeknight 9-holes. For me, in NYC, it can be a 9 hour process for one round. And that's something I can't do anything about, and something I definitely don't always have time for.
South Jersey to Brooklyn. @marrrkfedeli

JMEvensky

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 03:33:21 PM »

Now if we could just embark on a strategy to lose a few others, we could be well onto something ;) ;D

I like the way you think.

Jud_T

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 03:35:40 PM »
Jim,

You are a Gen Xer.  Unfortunately, due to the ugly bedmates of demographics and dollars, you get lost in the shuffle with all the focus on the Baby Boomers.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 04:16:23 PM by Jud_T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jason Topp

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 03:38:55 PM »
I do not see much in the article about drawbacks of the game that have not existed forever.  I suspect the listed decline in Millenials has a more mundane explanation.

The pattern I see in golf participation is that people get hooked as kids or teenagers and play until they have kids.  They do not play as much from the time they have children until the children have a drivers' license.  After the kid has the freedom to drive, the parents play again.

Assuming Millenials are born between 1980 and 1990 (not sure of the exact definition), I suspect many of them have left the game because they have kids.  I also suspect many will come back.   

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 03:41:37 PM »
What is a Millennial?

Born in this century? Or growing up (like teens and twenties...) in the first decade or two of this century?

So you are just turning 40.  What are you?  I'd say f'kd.  I'm sure you've seen this movie and would love to know which character is most like you.  Paul Rudd with a golf bag?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ3PxAlO3MQ

JESII

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 03:49:12 PM »
Is it possible that a simple, if drawn out, pull back in the number of golf courses and the expectations of companies looking to "make their (earnings) number" from unrealistic golf participation growth will make the golf market look much more healthy?

In other words, if we had 12,000 golf courses they'd be sold out and if/when the retailers pull back on production their "profits" will improve...then we get to do it all over again.

I hear we're teetering on a housing bubble possibly...after buying my first (and current) home in July 2006 I was told the peak of that last cycle was either June or July 2006. Someone sold me that house at a 75% profit after 5 years...I think these things all go in cycles and the people screaming about golf being dead are well off base. It's just not worried about them hitting their numbers.

JESII

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 03:51:32 PM »
Don't even have to hit the link...it's the guy in the bicycle costume!

George Pazin

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014, 03:54:22 PM »
Is it possible that a simple, if drawn out, pull back in the number of golf courses and the expectations of companies looking to "make their (earnings) number" from unrealistic golf participation growth will make the golf market look much more healthy?

In other words, if we had 12,000 golf courses they'd be sold out and if/when the retailers pull back on production their "profits" will improve...then we get to do it all over again.

I hear we're teetering on a housing bubble possibly...after buying my first (and current) home in July 2006 I was told the peak of that last cycle was either June or July 2006. Someone sold me that house at a 75% profit after 5 years...I think these things all go in cycles and the people screaming about golf being dead are well off base. It's just not worried about them hitting their numbers.

20 years ago, the geniuses (like the author of the article, though I'm just guessing on that) said we were short on golf courses and that we needed to open something like 1 a week for the next 20 years for there to be room for everyone joining the game.

Most of golf's "problems" can be tied to OPM disease, and its many related maladies...
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jud_T

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2014, 03:54:28 PM »
The truth is that unless you play competitively a good set of clubs will last you quite a while.  I got fitted for a set a few years back, have tweaked it a bit here and there with the odd rescue, 4 wood or putter, but I can't forsee buying anything more than tees, balls or gloves for the forseeable future.  Hell, I play with hickories half the time now.  The industry simply got out over it's skis.  A Millenial can get the golf bug just as easily as any previous generation.  Once they do, their XBox gets mothballed and they start posting obscenely edited photos of them in golf gear at remote locations with a bunch of other bespecled internet trolls in plus fours...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 03:56:17 PM by Jud_T »

Pat Burke

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2014, 04:00:48 PM »
Junior golf became junior tours and college recruiting programs.

Junior events became about points earned instead of cheesy trophies and medals. :D

College scholarships for golf, seem to be a status symbol for many now.  The pursuit to
earn a scholarship now costs close to the cost of a solid state education at many colleges.

In S California, $60-80 is considered an affordable green fee for a decent course, and tournaments
like JAGS and AJGA are amazingly expensive.  
For my part, I charge $125 an hour for golf lessons at the private club I work at.
I did work for 6+ years at a non profit providing lessons for free to kids, but TBH, many have
told me my rate is too low, I just cannot fathom raising it right now, it's already pretty high IMO.
Some of the expectations of money to be made in the game is pretty screwed up.

I've had two close experiences with golf courses out here in Cal.
One, a public course, would raise their prices every time play rates increased.  They would lose players,
lower their rates a bit, recapture their customers...rinse, repeat...  it was so fucking stupid.
They finally have settled in their price point and are attracting a regular, pretty busy following.

At a private course I dealt with, they make money hand over fist, but seem to always push the envelope trying
to get every penny.  A very short term outlook with no long term or back-end gains.  There was always an
"acceptable loss" mentality to people they chased away.  They hit their tipping point and are struggling now.
WIll be interesting to revisit there next year to see where they are.

My shining example...Goose Creek, MiraLoma, CA.
Built with a great plan, with a long term outlook in maintenance, and giving a product for the right price.
Have executed the original plan fantastically, still provide a great priced product, and are happy making their profits
at the original projections.  Never bumped prices to "capitalize" on their spot, have stayed in their sweet spot.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2014, 04:06:05 PM »
Don't even have to hit the link...it's the guy in the bicycle costume!

Cycling is playing a role in the demise of golf.  I absolutely love cycling with my wife.  The one time I took her to the golf course it was a complete disaster.  I honestly thought she would enjoy caddying for me.

JESII

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2014, 04:20:47 PM »
She should have...

Can't imagine cycling behind you is much of a treat...do you let he lead?

Greg Tallman

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2014, 04:22:20 PM »
Junior golf became junior tours and college recruiting programs.

Junior events became about points earned instead of cheesy trophies and medals. :D

College scholarships for golf, seem to be a status symbol for many now.  The pursuit to
earn a scholarship now costs close to the cost of a solid state education at many colleges.

In S California, $60-80 is considered an affordable green fee for a decent course, and tournaments
like JAGS and AJGA are amazingly expensive.  
For my part, I charge $125 an hour for golf lessons at the private club I work at.
I did work for 6+ years at a non profit providing lessons for free to kids, but TBH, many have
told me my rate is too low, I just cannot fathom raising it right now, it's already pretty high IMO.
Some of the expectations of money to be made in the game is pretty screwed up.

I've had two close experiences with golf courses out here in Cal.
One, a public course, would raise their prices every time play rates increased.  They would lose players,
lower their rates a bit, recapture their customers...rinse, repeat...  it was so fucking stupid.
They finally have settled in their price point and are attracting a regular, pretty busy following.

At a private course I dealt with, they make money hand over fist, but seem to always push the envelope trying
to get every penny.  A very short term outlook with no long term or back-end gains.  There was always an
"acceptable loss" mentality to people they chased away.  They hit their tipping point and are struggling now.
WIll be interesting to revisit there next year to see where they are.

My shining example...Goose Creek, MiraLoma, CA.
Built with a great plan, with a long term outlook in maintenance, and giving a product for the right price.
Have executed the original plan fantastically, still provide a great priced product, and are happy making their profits
at the original projections.  Never bumped prices to "capitalize" on their spot, have stayed in their sweet spot.

So the pressure is on Mr. Burke. Don't screw up my little girl I sent your way. Keep it fun, nudge her in the right direction... and, oh yeah, make sure she gets a scholarship!  ;)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2014, 04:23:23 PM »
What is a Millennial?

Old
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2014, 04:32:29 PM »
She should have...

Can't imagine cycling behind you is much of a treat...do you let he lead?

I guess you don't know much about drafting, they don't call me peloton ass for nothing.  Of course my wife doesn't have a clue about aerodynamics which is why I let her lead.  She is a great athlete so all things being equal, including my superior technique and keeping a higher pressure in my tires, we are equals.  I keep telling her to pump her own tires but she won't listen.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back