News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JHoulihan

Protracer technology use
« on: July 20, 2014, 10:33:15 AM »
I am up early again watching the Open Championship. I have been excited about several parts of the tournament overall. None more that the use of the protracer technology this week. With it being cloudy and overcast most of the time, it is much more difficult to trace the ball after leaving the clubface. I did not take notes about which exact holes have used it (I know that hole #1 did for sure) but I know that it has been available for multiple holes overall.

So few questions that may know more.
1) How does the PGA/R&A decide which tournamnets that this technology will be available
2) How do they decide which holes that the technology will be set up on the teebox
3) Do they have to pay more for this technology if used on multiple tees vs one tee box only
4) Do you think that the viewers care if the hole has protracer or not (does it add being able to see the ball flight or direction traveled)
5) Do you think that the technology should be used more/less during 4 major events
6) Do you think that the technology should be used more/less during all PGA/R&A events
7) Do you like the use of the technology overall (why or why not)

Justin

Craig Sweet

Re: Protracer technology use
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 11:03:11 AM »
The ESPN coverage seems disjointed and jumbled.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 11:53:16 AM »
The pro tracer technology is actually a feature in the Trackman.  Since so many players have Trackman, there was probably a representative at Holyoke and it would not be surprising if the company supplied them for free.  They retail at 22K and the tour players pay 17 and change.

William_G

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 12:08:47 PM »
I am up early again watching the Open Championship. I have been excited about several parts of the tournament overall. None more that the use of the protracer technology this week. With it being cloudy and overcast most of the time, it is much more difficult to trace the ball after leaving the clubface. I did not take notes about which exact holes have used it (I know that hole #1 did for sure) but I know that it has been available for multiple holes overall.

1) How does the PGA/R&A decide which tournamnets that this technology will be available
2) How do they decide which holes that the technology will be set up on the teebox
3) Do they have to pay more for this technology if used on multiple tees vs one tee box only
4) Do you think that the viewers care if the hole has protracer or not (does it add being able to see the ball flight or direction traveled) yes it is awesome to add insight into what is happening
5) Do you think that the technology should be used more/less during 4 major events MORE, MORE, MORE
6) Do you think that the technology should be used more/less during all PGA/R&A events MORE, MORE, MORE
7) Do you like the use of the technology overall (why or why not) yes because it helps folks understand that golf balls move in different flight patterns and how the golfer controls that aspect of the game is a fundamental part of golf

Justin
It's all about the golf!

John Kirk

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 12:15:58 PM »
Nice to see ESPN covering all three players competing in the tournament.

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 12:19:26 PM »
I noticed this week they've even started using it from the fairway looking back. I'd never seen that before.
South Jersey to Brooklyn. @marrrkfedeli

William_G

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 12:32:34 PM »
I noticed this week they've even started using it from the fairway looking back. I'd never seen that before.

yes, liked that as well
It's all about the golf!

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 12:37:56 PM »
I love it
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

MikeJones

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 05:22:14 PM »
I have worked a little with these guys and they are great IMO

Its the TV companies that decide what gets used and its down to event budget

I'm pretty sure they do

4) Do you think that the viewers care if the hole has protracer or not (does it add being able to see the ball flight or direction traveled)

It adds a lot to my enjoyment but I can't speak for everyone

5) Do you think that the technology should be used more/less during 4 major events
6) Do you think that the technology should be used more/less during all PGA/R&A events
7) Do you like the use of the technology overall (why or why not)

I did see them try and set up a mobile one behind one of Mickleson's shots earlier in the week(usually it's set up behind tees and can't be moved) It didn't work but then it doesn't reliably pick up all shots from behind the tee either.

Their use is limited at the Masters BTW
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 05:24:31 PM by MikeJones »

Greg Taylor

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 05:27:48 PM »
It's great - enhances the viewing experience.

Not sure where but I'm sure I've seen a clip on YouTube showing the flight off the 13th tee at Augusta.

Great to see how the pros move the ball.

Will Spivey

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 10:30:57 PM »
I am a huge fan.  TV flattens everything out (just ask anyone who's been to Augusta National).  I find the Protracer gives a much better feel for what's really happening.  I would love to see much more of it.

William_G

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 01:17:08 AM »
I am a huge fan.  TV flattens everything out (just ask anyone who's been to Augusta National).  I find the Protracer gives a much better feel for what's really happening.  I would love to see much more of it.

+1
It's all about the golf!

Tom Allen

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 11:48:54 AM »
Count me as a fan as well.

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 09:33:06 AM »

+1

I dread the thought of the Fox theme music and Joe Buck and Greg Norman broadcasting our national Open. (w/ Holly in Puma skirt) However, Fox has a real opportunity to change the paradigm for golf broadcasting in a way that hasn't been done since the likes of Frank Chirkinian at CBS Sports.

Does anyone else dream that Fox will use Protracer on every shot and will do away with the ball in the air camera angle?
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back