News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dunlop_White

Re: Old Town Club profile is posted ...
« Reply #100 on: July 21, 2017, 09:28:18 AM »

Cheers.  I never tire of Old Town pix. 

Jon, if it means anything to you, I would put Old Town among my top 5 favourites full stop.  I think it will get better as well.  I hope to someday see the fairways pushed even further out with the reduction of rough and that horrible tree back right of #12 removed. 

Ciao

FYI: your "favorite" cedar tree behind hole 12 has been removed. Yes, finally!
It's not often that you take a tree down by popular demand… first Sean Arble, then Ron Whitten, then Steve Lapper, then members.

Sean_A

« Reply #101 on: July 21, 2017, 10:19:16 AM »

Cheers.  I never tire of Old Town pix. 

Jon, if it means anything to you, I would put Old Town among my top 5 favourites full stop.  I think it will get better as well.  I hope to someday see the fairways pushed even further out with the reduction of rough and that horrible tree back right of #12 removed. 

Ciao

FYI: your "favorite" cedar tree behind hole 12 has been removed. Yes, finally!
It's not often that you take a tree down by popular demand… first Sean Arble, then Ron Whitten, then Steve Lapper, then members.

Cha ching!

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Bill Seitz

« Reply #102 on: November 06, 2017, 05:52:19 PM »
I had the distinct pleasure of playing Old Town Club for the first time last Friday and was fortunate to play with Will Spivey, Bill Faley, and Jason Jones (not so fortunate on the last one, I guess).  I also had the pleasure of meeting Mr. White, who witnessed my snaking downhill par saving putt on the diabolical seventh green.  All I can say is wow!  I loved every minute of it.  It's a course that gets you into high gear early and never really lets up.  It's rare to find greens that are so receptive, yet so fast (though well within the realm of playability). 

It's hard to pick favorite holes out of such an excellent group, but I really loved the stretch of five through seven (helps that I went through even par with minor blow ups on four and eight).  I tried to save Ran's write up for after the round, but five immediately reminded me of the fifth at Crystal Downs.  With the lack of an immediate backdrop on six, and the fall away green, I could feel my heart pounding on the tee, and wide expanse of the seventh fairway, maintained all the way from the right side of four (to the golfer's left) to the right side of 17 finishing at such a small green was a real gem.  The seventh green reminded me of a lot of greens at Kingsley (especially the seventh, coincidentally), that give you a friendly backstop, but miss long it's almost certainly a one if not two shot penalty.  I thought 14 was a great short par, and while I got a little lucky on 17, I'm still not sure I figured out how to play it in one go 'round. 

I found the course to be very walkable on warm, upper 70s November afternoon.  The club vibe was great as well.  Definitely worth a visit to anyone who has yet to see it, and I can't wait to get back. 

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #103 on: November 07, 2017, 11:14:09 AM »
Few places check all of the boxes for what I enjoy in a golf course like Old Town. 
  -  It has a brilliant routing that maximizes the potential of the land while maintaining a wonderful walk. 
  -  Wonderful greens and green surrounds
  -  Width.... the restoration has brought width and angles back into the golf course.  This brings even more attention to the wonderful greens as you can now approach them from the ideal spots.
  -  Aesthetically pleasing.....  the contrast in textures, renovated bunker work and overall vistas on the property
  -  It strikes that delicate balance of challenging the best players yet still being an absolute blast to play. 

ward peyronnin

« Reply #104 on: November 11, 2017, 10:15:17 AM »
Rode the course Thursday(too cold for these old bones).

I dislike redundancy but I must echo the praise. The 17th has to be one of the better three shotters I've seen and the is capped by a hoot of a double green with No 18 paces away. So much one could talk about all over the place.

After my tour i see Ran states Maxwell was able to choose his playing field from 1200 acres and that provides part of the explanation of how he was able to deliver such a superior golf course. I am not sure Old Town members all really know how fortunate they are
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Dunlop_White

« Reply #105 on: November 13, 2017, 04:10:59 PM »
This was such a great thread before Photobucket eliminated the majority of the photos. Anyhow, thanks for your praise and your contributions.  OTC hits on all cylinders this time of year, so thanks for visiting. Today, a few frosts and cold evenings have stunted the fairways to a firmer, pale color green. Plus, the native grasses have turned-off and browned out nicely. Together, the colors and textures resemble an early-American landscape. Our biggest challenge has been keeping the green speeds in check. With the winds and cool temps, we had to change some pins mid-round last week. Just a lot of fun to play, especially if you don't mind being on the wrong side of the hole. Cheers!

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #106 on: November 13, 2017, 04:59:39 PM »
This was such a great thread before Photobucket eliminated the majority of the photos. Anyhow, thanks for your praise and your contributions.  OTC hits on all cylinders this time of year...

This phototour lives on, and contains photos taken at the current time of year (November 7, 2014 to be exact - hard to believe it’s been three years) when, as Dunlop notes, Old Town truly blossoms. Enjoy: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,60356.0.html
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 05:01:39 PM by Jon Cavalier »
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back