News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

Awesome tour Joe.  The course looks fantastic!

Mark

It is Mark, and best of all, it is trending up, IMO.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Jason Walker

Joe,
I'd like to think we are trending up!

However,  I'd really like to add to this thread a sincere thanks to Joe for a lot of the work he's done not only for Tavistock but for GCA. Joe is an invaluable resource to golfers and clubs in this area.  The photo threads on here are only a small example of what he adds to the golf community here in Philly and the US.   He selflessly has provided numerous historical articles about the early days of Tavistock, some of which provided information not before seen.   As a student of the history, I anxiously look forward to more!

Thanks again Joe, look forward to having you out again.

JSlonis

Another GCA'er Jason Walker and I spent this afternoon along with our Supt at Tavistock with our architect Jim Nagle. We did a comprehensive course review of the work we completed 5 yrs ago and continued to highlight many areas where tree removal will continue. With the continuation of our tree program and the introduction of naturalized areas throughout the course, we hope to really add some visual appeal to complement what we accomplished with the original master plan.

It's always educational to spend time with Jim. He's one of the best in the biz. Jason and I will continue to post photos as we move through our upcoming work.

JSlonis

Bump for the "shoulders" thread.

Joe Bausch

Some chains have met up with some wood at Tavistock.  In particular at the par 4 7th, where a large tree guarded the left of the two greens.

Before:

After:

;D

JSlonis

Nice Joe!

The 7th at TCC is a short par 4. About 340 from the tips and 325 from the regular tees. For too many of our average or shorter hitting members, the hole essentially played as a par 5 because they could never get to the green in regulation.

That old tree blocked out all approach shots from 200-120 yds into the green. It's removal has been contentious since our restoration 6 yrs ago. It should've been taken down then, but the committee chickened out a bit. Instead of realizing it made a short hole a bit gimicky & much more difficult than it ever should've been, quite a few people thought it "made" the hole. Thankfully, after years of education and some help by Mother Nature, we finally took it down. The tree had become less healthy over the past couple years, which helped us hasten its removal.

What I thought was our weakest hole on the course now becomes a great opportunity for improvement. It was strictly a one dimensional hole and it now offers golfers of all skill levels many more options off the tee & into the green. The stump gets removed tomorrow.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 04:58:13 PM by JSlonis »

Joe Bausch

I thought I would bump this thread as I recently played Tavistock (courtesy of GCAer Jason Walker and joined by Doug Braunsdorf) and it keeps getting better and better.  Since the pictures earlier in the thread (which I've now made 'clickable' to much larger size), the tree management program has continued.  I'll try to show some before/after photos in another post.

Tavistock's long time super Tom Grimac is retiring and they've hired Vic Federico from Bayonne.

There is chatter about a GCA gathering at Tavistock this fall.  Stay tuned to this channel for the upcoming details.   :)

Joe Bausch

Some of the tree management program:

#1.  View from behind the green.

Before (July, 2012), where the clubhouse is obscured by white pines:

After (July, 2014):

#2.  View from back of the green.

Before (July 2012) where a few pine trees were left of green (to the right in this view):

After (July, 2014):

#5 and #6.  Many trees/bushes removed between these two holes. 

View from behind the 5th green helps to show this:

Before (July 2012) where there are many trees to the right in the picture:

After (July, 2014) where there are many fewer:

Tom ORourke

This was a terrific renovation. I used to caddy there and played it often before the changes. I played it a few times after the changes. What a dramatic difference. I always thought 14 was one of the better holes in SJ, and also in Philly. There used to be very tall trees behind the green that blocked the view of the 15th fairway. Taking down those trees was great for both the visual and for airflow. Still a great hole but now on a much better course. The greens are so much better and the general look is now excellent. It went from kissing your sister excitement to a pretty hot date.

Ed Brzezowski

Rated it last year and loved it.  I think you better have us back ASAP to look at those opens views and see if  the rating changed.

Job well done.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 10:20:33 PM by Ed Brzezowski »
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Jason Walker

Rated it last year and loved it.  I think you better have us back ASAP to look at those opens views and see ifbthevragjng changed.

Job well done.

Ed-
We'll figure out a date for a GCA outing out there this fall--hopefully we can get a good group.  Our outgoing Green Chair Jamie Slonis deserves a lot of the credit for the vision of where the course is heading, specifically the tree removal and introduction of the native areas.  Our next task is maximizing the many ditches and creeks that are prevalent throughout the property and our new super Vic Federico has some awesome ideas.  We're very excited for the future.

As I'm sure you know, Tavistock is hosting the Patterson Cup Aug 6/7.  Should be a great event.

Ed Brzezowski

Jason it is a great track and would look forward to playing it again.  Those ditches could be a real pain in the rear. Keep up,the great work.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Jim Sherma

Tavistock is a course that always interested me. Findlay stuff is wonderful and generally underrated in my opinion. I regularly play a couple of Findlay's, Green Pond and Lebanon, and just love the good miss/bad miss challenge of his work. Lebanon is a real treat and I probably should start thinking about having a group out as well.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back