News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Derek Dirksen

Arbor Links golf course, photo tour
« on: November 14, 2009, 11:31:06 PM »
I was back home in Lincoln, Nebraska for the OU - Husker game last weekend.  Decided to take my father golfing and we decided on Arbor links in Nebraska City, NE.  We played the Saturday morning of the game. The course has been discussed on here a little bit.  It is a Palmer design.  7031 from the tips, par 72.  There are no houses on the course.  The course was in good condition.  It has bent fairways and greens.  Nice to play off of the bent after playing a lot on Bermuda.  The course is exposed and the wind was blowing hard out of the north.  Here are some photos.

Hole 1 518 yd par 5, down hill dogleg left

Hole 2 307 yd par 4, dogleg left with a creek in front of a elevated green.

Hole 3 145 yd par 3, down hill tee shot to a well bunkered green

Hole 4 550 yd par 5. a risk reward drive accross water, the more you try to bite off the closer you are to the green.

a view from short right rough looking into green complex

Hole 5 429 yd par 4, another rish reward tee shot. 

Hole 6 206 yd par 3, slightly downhill into a bunkerless green complex

Hole 7 413 yd par 4, there is water left the entire length of the golf hole, green is well gaurded bunker sand.

Hole 8 426 yd par 4, plays slightly left to right with a elevated green

Hole 9 455 yd par 4, blind tee shot over a ridge, 2nd shot into a well gaurded green that wider than deeper.

Hole 10 536 yd par 5, hole works slightly from left to right.  Well bunkered to the left off the tee.

Hole 11 137 yd par 3,

Hole 12 414 par 4, another risk reward tee shot over a waste area to a slightly evelated green.

Hole 13 428 yd par 4, the left fw bunkers can be cleared, the green complex is slightly uphill and blind. 

Hole 14 175 yd par 3

Hole 15 454 yd par 4, one of my favorite holes on the course.  Striaght away tee shot to a left to right sloping fw.  The green is guarded by a bunker right and a bunker short of the green to the left, that bunker visually looks like it is greenside but well short.  That bunker blocks the left 1/4 of the green as well.

Hole 16 574 yd par 5

Hole 17 438 yd par 4

Hole 18 426 yd par 4, a great finishing hole.  Of course my camera ran out of batteries on the tee.

Lester George

Re: Arbor Links golf course, photo tour
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 04:01:59 PM »
Those are almost the EXACT same pin locations as the day I played it last year.  Must be the Saturday pins!

Lester

Jason Hines

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 09:49:55 PM »
Derek, Lester,

I moved away from Omaha 2 and half years ago and did play there once or twice per year.  I heard recently that they went private, do you guys know the current status?

Jason

Alex Miller

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 10:24:50 PM »
Looks interesting.

What struck me was that the first four non-par-3 holes are all dogleg left. Don't think I've ever seen that before :o

Scott Henderson

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 12:57:21 AM »
Thanks for the pictures - I will put this on on my list of courses to play if I make back to Nebraska.

Ken Moum

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 12:59:43 AM »
Derek, Lester,

I moved away from Omaha 2 and half years ago and did play there once or twice per year.  I heard recently that they went private, do you guys know the current status?

Jason

Some guys I know went up there either early this year or late last year, and while it is technically private, they got the group on and even stayed in cabins on the site.

Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Derek Dirksen

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 11:38:08 AM »
Maybe Mr. Kubly will chime in.  From what I know they have gone private.  After the round I talked with the pro and he told me the club was doing really well.  I still don't think it would be hard to get on.  In fact, they still might have stay and play arrangement with the Arbor Day Foundation's, Arbor Lodge (which is located a 1/2 mile away). 

Adam Clayman

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 12:24:01 PM »
We had a discussion on this course earlier this year. My reaction was that it was one of the best Palmer courses I had played. Can't help but think Mr. Kubly's firm had a lot to do with that conclusion.

The course can be a ball buster because the openness makes hitting the defined target more difficult.

The second hole was unique and much more difficult than one might surmise from the card. The two closers were separate from the others and climaxed the course nicely. I especially enjoyed the 11th.

When in town, make sure you go to the Pendelton outlet store. Wool goods for dirt cheap.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mike Hendren

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 02:32:46 PM »
Henceforth "frilly edged bunkers" will be known as "de rigueur bunkers" in Bogeyville.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

PThomas

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 11:06:20 PM »
i played there a LONG time ago, probably not long after it opened

i agree with Adam that it is one of the best  - maybe the best - Palmer course i've played

it can get VERY windy out there!

nice pictures Derek
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Bill Kubly

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 01:35:24 PM »
ArborLinks did go private 3 years ago and being private has been very well received.  Non-member play is still allowed on a once-per-year basis until the club is full.  Before ArborLinks went private, it was doing 18,000 rounds per year.  The decision was made to go private to create a unique remote club that would provide lodging and a great experience for its members.  20 bedrooms in 5 cabins have already been built for the members use and an additional 28 rooms will be added in the future.   The 4-bedroom cabins are similar to those at Sutton Bay.  Our steaks are the best that you will ever have.   The Arbor Day Foundation also has a 150 room lodge and conference center within 1 mile of the course and it promotes a stay and play package on this private course. 

Total annual rounds now are more in the 8,000 range which allows for no tee times and an experience that golf purists truly enjoy.  50 players per day would be a busy day at ArborLinks.  Many players play 36 holes per day when staying at the club.  With so few rounds, the conditions of the course are spectacular even with its bentgrass fairways and very native rough. 

Our goal for ArborLinks is to host regional and national events.  I know that this is a course that Golf Club Atlas members would enjoy playing.  Even through this economic slowdown, ArborLinks added 45 new members last season.  If you are interested in playing the course next season you may call Jeff Porter, the manager of the club, at 402-873-4334.  Make sure to tell him that you are a GCA member or follower.  If I am in the area I would be happy to play with any of you and Jeff knows how to find me.......

Jason Thurman

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 11:39:33 PM »
I made my final trip to Nebraska last week. I worked in Nebraska City, and spent the week at the amazing Lied Lodge (http://www.liedlodge.org) which gets you access to the private ArborLinks course. I took a few photos of it as I played, including a couple of the 18th missed in the original post. I didn't get pics of all of them, but I'll post what I have.

They had a tournament coming the day after my visit, so pins were cut in some tight locations.

Approach from about 220 out.

Better look at the green and the slightly odd bunker style employed at ArborLinks.

The very uphill approach.

A look back from the green.

#3 is 150 downhill.

Par 5 4th.

From 70 yards short of the green. It's a VERY tight target and the tournament pins cut on my visit made it even tougher. This course is a really tough test.

5th

Approach from about 150. It's been dry and hot in Nebraska, so a few greens were being syringed to allow tournament speeds. Not a lot of undulation, but they were running fast and very small targets mostly.

Another offset green with a very narrow opening in which today's pin was located.

430 all uphill at the 8th. Good, strong par 4.

The approach from 150.

The approach from about 200 with water lurking left. If you bail out, the very thick native rough will retire your ball. Narrower than it appears here.

Approach to 12, a 400+ yard par 4 with a huge waste area right. Hugging it off the tee shortens the approach dramatically.

Looking back 12, showing the huge waste area.

15 is a brute, some 450 yards and really tight for a hole of its length.

The approach from around 130. You can run one in off the mound left, which helps as you'll probably have a fairly long approach here.

Another tough right-to-left par 4 at the 17th.

With another approach to a small target.

18 plays along a ridge some 390 yards.

The approach. Photobucket really compresses the photo so it's hard to see, but the green has a cool valley in the middle so shots can run on and feed to the flag.

A few thoughts:

• It's my second Palmer course, and I've enjoyed both though neither has been otherworldly. Good risk/reward opportunities on several holes and a nice, walkable routing (rarely taken advantage of, but still). There's not much slope on the property, but what's there is used well. It's a good track on an average property, and that's a pretty good accomplishment in my book.
  • It's a REALLY tough course, especially with the pins tucked tight. I hit a lot of shots about as online as I can reasonably expect, and missed by a few feet right or left and paid dearly. Greens seem very small by modern standards.
  • The native rough is really the course's only drawback. I'm a scratch locator of lost balls, and I still lost 7, most of them no more than a few inches into the native. You'll need to hit it very straight here, as the corridors aren't especially wide and the long rough is virtually an automatic lost ball unless you're extremely lucky.
  • Coupled with the excellent lodge, Nebraska City makes an excellent stop for anyone traveling to the sand hills courses from the East. ArborLinks isn't as good as Wild Horse, but it's not terribly far off and would make for a very good stopover between, say Harvester in Des Moines and Wild Horse in Gothenburg. I really enjoyed it and didn't find much not to like. All in all, Nebraska City makes for a pretty good business trip.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 01:29:23 AM »
Looks a lot more intimidating in the spring with the trees in full leaf mode and the rough up.

I get back to Lincoln a lot; hope to get the chance to check this out one day.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Sean_A

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 03:45:04 AM »
Derek

Nice tour!  Two in one day which look interesting courses - must be a record. 

Did folks get the impression that the multi bunkering just looks totally undersized?

This...

compared to this.  I much prefer this and think it fits the wide open views much better.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Jason Thurman

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 11:32:25 AM »
Sean,

I think I agree with you aesthetically. I really liked the look of 12 and 17 off the tee with their large waste areas.

However, I think a lot of it depends on the terrain of the hole. The multi-look is most prevalent on 5 and 10. The inside of the dogleg at 5 gradually slopes toward a thick area of native grass. Had a waste area been placed there, it would've taken a lot more shaping during the build and also would've made the recovery shot MUCH easier for someone who fails to carry the dogleg. Those small bunkers and the severe slope they're benched into make it a very difficult shot if you bite off more than you can carry, whereas a waste bunker would give a nice level stance and much more straightforward shot.

On 10, as I remember it, the bunkers actually aren't small and only appear so in that photo because of how oddly shaped the bunker edges are. Still, a waste area there would be on the outside of the dogleg and therefore blind, which I dislike in a hazard. It also would make the hole reachable for the player who misses the fairway left. Having been in one of those bunkers off the tee, I can attest that their steep slopes and lips make them an automatic pitch-out.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Derek Dirksen

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 05:18:11 AM »
On hole 5 during original construction the area in question was a lake. After opening they made it a native area.  I think they added the bunkers just few years ago.  That hole has transformed over the years. 

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2016, 08:50:25 PM »
Has anyone been here recently?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back