News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall Hay

Forest Dunes Begins Work on Second Golf Course
« on: July 03, 2014, 02:18:53 PM »
Forest Dunes Begins Work on Second Golf Course in Northern Michigan

Forest Dunes Golf Club, located in northern Michigan near Roscommon, which opened for play in 2002 with the debut of a Tom Wieskopf-designed 18-hole course, has started to develop a second course. Scheduled to open in 2016, it is believed to be the only new course under construction in Michigan.

http://www.dbusiness.com/daily-news/Annual-2014/Forest-Dunes-Begins-Work-on-Second-Golf-Course-in-Northern-Michigan/

Jim Nugent

Re: Forest Dunes Begins Work on Second Golf Course
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 02:54:43 PM »
What is the date on this article?  I thought the latest news was that this project was on hold, perhaps indefinitely. 

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 03:10:44 PM »
Tom's update, as of June 5th of 2014, about halfway down: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,58679.0.html
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Niall Hay

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 03:41:48 PM »
What is the date on this article?  I thought the latest news was that this project was on hold, perhaps indefinitely. 

Posted: 2014/07/03

Forest Dunes Begins Work on Second Golf Course in Northern Michigan
Posted: 2014/07/03

http://www.dbusiness.com/daily-news/Annual-2014/Forest-Dunes-Begins-Work-on-Second-Golf-Course-in-Northern-Michigan/

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 04:06:44 PM »
Well, I guess we'll have to find out what Mr. Doak has to say about that!
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 08:10:13 PM »
I'll be at FD on Monday and will report back!
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

George Freeman

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 10:44:20 AM »
Bump due to interest/excitement.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 02:51:46 PM »
I played in a pro-am yesterday at FD. Greens were running 12+ and we battled high winds. The course was in ideal condition as reported numerous times. A very fun back nine.  Pin on short par 4 13th was back right which left a devilish chip if you were short or long. Very difficult golf course to get up and down if you miss to the "correct" side. Is it better to be more aggressive and shoot for the pins at FD? Is this typical for Weiskopf courses? Course is a little too manicured for my taste but we enjoyed it nevertheless.  Enough dribble..

I walked around the proposed site for Mr. Doak's course and posted the below pic which is looking down the proposed 18th with the pin in the back left and the existing clubhouse in the back right. Large areas of land have been cleared and stumps are piled up all over the property. The area cleared is rolling with many swales / hollows and sideboards on both sides.

The club employees did not give much info when asked about the state of the new course. I expect we will hear a formal announcement on the direction of project very soon. I'm sorry for the limited amount of information but I had my hands full with the Forest (front) and Dunes (back) course.

"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Steve Lang

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 03:53:12 PM »
 8) I'll ask the folks at FD about it Thurs PM... and look for any activity, could be a week by week thing..
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Bob_Garvelink

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 07:19:30 PM »
Gents,

I golfed Eagle Eye today and was told by a staff member that if Doak does indeed get the contract he is going to do something that will be wild and crazy and bring the masses to Roscommon.  Although I don't want to spoil Doaks big plans (as I kind of already did announcing Tom potentially getting the job) I can assure you that this unique design feature would get Most GCAers attention and I bet 75% would get on a plane and see this crazy idea.  Sorry for the tease but please pray that Tom can pull this off.  Other than that I'm pleading the 5th :)
"Pure Michigan"

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 08:12:32 PM »
Reverse routing every T, Th and Sat?

Bob_Garvelink

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 09:53:24 PM »
I plead the 5th  ;D
"Pure Michigan"

Mike Bowen

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 03:09:31 PM »
As a golf course designer doodler, I now know my next project doodle.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 03:37:22 PM »
If this is a relatively flat site, as the site for the Olympics was, then perhaps he will bring his concept for that course to FD.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Neil Johnston

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 08:02:03 PM »
The Michigan "resort" landscape is so crowded already. I wonder sometimes how all these places get enough business, especially those in the middle of nowhere like FD.

That said, I likely would have made the out of the way trip to Roscommon on my last Michigan boondoggle if there were 2 top 100 level courses to play instead of just one.

Amol Yajnik

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2014, 02:31:21 PM »
Gents,

I golfed Eagle Eye today and was told by a staff member that if Doak does indeed get the contract he is going to do something that will be wild and crazy and bring the masses to Roscommon.  Although I don't want to spoil Doaks big plans (as I kind of already did announcing Tom potentially getting the job) I can assure you that this unique design feature would get Most GCAers attention and I bet 75% would get on a plane and see this crazy idea.  Sorry for the tease but please pray that Tom can pull this off.  Other than that I'm pleading the 5th :)

The cat is out of the bag: http://www.globalgolfpost.com/blog/a-reversible-layout-that-could-turn-golf-inside-out/

Small excerpt: "Global Golf Post has obtained an advance copy of a plan that will be released to the world Tuesday.
Doak and his Renaissance Golf Design team are going to design a course in rural Roscommon, Mich., that will be reversible.
That’s right – forward one day and backward the next. That’s two distinct layouts using the same greens but playing clockwise one way and counter clockwise the other way."

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2014, 02:51:10 PM »
As someone who spent my summers in this area, this is very exciting.
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Eric Smith

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2014, 02:53:50 PM »
Pretty dadgum cool. Congrats to all involved with this one.

Howard Riefs

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Garland Bayley

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2014, 06:58:01 PM »

That’s right – forward one day and backward the next. That’s two distinct layouts using the same greens but playing clockwise one way and counter clockwise the other way."

For a preview of this concept, go play Silvies Valley Ranch when it comes online next year. ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Greg Tallman

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2014, 07:02:38 PM »
Awesome to see someone give TD the chance to do this. So intriguing it will go to the top of the list of courses I want to see.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2014, 07:06:07 PM »
Well isn't this just case in point for why it's good to be a big name.

Dan Hixson is amidst constructing a similar type of course here in Oregon.  "two courses in one"  "Reversible"

But I haven't heard diddly squat about how he's going to "turn golf on its' ear!"

REVOLUTIONIZE the game!!!
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Jeff Bergeron

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2014, 07:14:26 PM »
Doak's course has the potential to be a game changer. Great for the game and great for Michigan!

Niall Hay

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2014, 07:49:09 PM »
Doak's course has the potential to be a game changer. Great for the game and great for Michigan!

Should be interesting! Do we know opening date yet? Completion date?

Michael Dugger

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2014, 10:18:47 PM »
Tom

I saw your response on the other thread about Silvies Valley Ranch, and in particular your comment that Simpson dabbled in design of this sort back in the day.

I always thought Mackenzie's lost course, El Boqueran, had reversible qualities.

Can you think of any other examples of this???
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back