News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Fine

Re: Resolved: "Memorability" is a terrible criterion to judge a hole / course
« Reply #100 on: January 04, 2015, 12:53:05 PM »
Memorability alone is not a good criteria to judge a golf course.  Nor is aesthetics or conditioning or hole variety or length or challenge or strategic interest or walkability or routing,  ... But collectively they all have merit :)

At the end of the day it is a very subjective exercise.  What is amazing, however, is that if we look at all the Top 100 lists that many here love to hate, the overlap between them is dramatic and most of our own personal favorite lists would overlap many of these courses as well.  
We must all be using some of the same rating criteria and it is likely a combination of the above and we weight each differently from course to course   ;)

Terry Lavin

« Reply #101 on: January 04, 2015, 02:36:24 PM »
Having a memory as to what has recently been discussed at some considerable length is more related to memory than memorability, but I guess it gets harder all the time to come up with new concepts.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

BCowan

« Reply #102 on: January 04, 2015, 02:48:33 PM »
Are the holes at Pinehurst #2 memorable? Many here opined that they were not. Yet Tom Doak gave the course a 10!
I don't think it is Tom's criteria.

Great point.  I wonder how memorable the Old course was for Bobby Jones after his first play??  He then went on to found a course in ''the Spirit of the Old Course''.   :) :)

Daniel Jones

« Reply #103 on: January 04, 2015, 07:03:42 PM »
Ironically, I had this very conversation a few days ago. I was discussing a trip I made to Pinehurst and Kiawah a couple years back. As I thought about it, I was surprised how little of the round on #2 I could remember. On the other hand, I could recall almost every shot at Kiawah. I certainly don't rank Kiawah over #2, but my memory does..

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back