News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Beeney

Best Private Course that's 'joinable'
« on: June 06, 2014, 01:03:26 PM »
Hi all,

I was wondering what is the best private golf course that's joinable? When I say joinable I mean a club without a waiting list, so if your pockets are deep enough and you know a couple of members you can get in.

Mark McKeever

Re: Best Private Course that's 'joinable'
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 01:06:57 PM »
NGLA
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

David Beeney

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 01:15:43 PM »
NGLA

Really? I would of guessed there would be a long waiting list.

Brandon Urban

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 01:17:39 PM »
Prairie Dunes.
Ballyneal.
Dismal.
181 holes at Ballyneal on June, 19th, 2017. What a day and why I love golf - http://www.hundredholehike.com/blogs/181-little-help-my-friends

Gary Sato

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 01:25:43 PM »
Depends on your interpretation of "best"?

The highest rated club is probably Prairie Dunes.

Kyle Casella

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 01:39:03 PM »
I think any club, even those with waiting lists, are imminently "joinable" if you know the right people.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 01:41:50 PM »
I think any club, even those with waiting lists, are imminently "joinable" if you know the right people.

Good point Kyle.  Connections and $ put together are a powerful combination.

MM
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 01:54:19 PM »

Not any.  Crystal Downs has something like a ten-year waiting list right now.  You could get a few places ahead in the line if you bought a house on the property ... if any were actually for sale.  I think there are plenty of other clubs in a similar position.

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 03:03:39 PM »
The answer has to be Ballyneal, which I have as world top 20. I would join there in two seconds if I thought I would get out there more than once a year. That's of the courses I have seen - I haven't been to Dismal or Gozzer or Rock Creek or ... the list goes on and on. For 'joinability' in the United States, the Midwest section has to be king.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 03:13:28 PM by Ran Morrissett »

Jim Franklin

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 03:11:26 PM »
How about the best warm weather club that could be played all winter and is fairly easy to get to? And Rock Creek Cattle would be the answer to the first question.
Mr Hurricane

J_ Crisham

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 03:12:34 PM »
Olympia Fields , Black Sheep and  Flossmoor come to mind in Chicago

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 03:13:50 PM »
This thread is a bit pretentious considering that I have it on good authority that Ballyneal and Prairie Dunes won't take just anyone who offers to write a check.

Kyle Casella

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 03:16:04 PM »
How about the best warm weather club that could be played all winter and is fairly easy to get to? And Rock Creek Cattle would be the answer to the first question.

Diamante?

Jim Franklin

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 03:18:46 PM »

Diamante?

Easy to get to?
Mr Hurricane

J_ Crisham

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 03:40:02 PM »
Jim,   Mountain Lake comes to mind- aging membership in a nondesirable location in Florida.

Kyle Casella

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2014, 04:13:48 PM »

Diamante?

Easy to get to?

An easy non-stop or one connection flight for a majority of the US (directs from most major hubs). On par with getting to a place like Rock Creek, except for customs.

Gary Sato

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014, 04:26:46 PM »

Diamante?

Easy to get to?

In a metropolitan city, Cal Club in San Francisco. 

Frank Sekulic

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014, 04:31:06 PM »
If the Cal Club is easily "joinable", I'm packing my bags and moving north tomorrow.

The only top flight club, I know of that is easy to join is Hidden Creek.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2014, 04:35:38 PM »

Not Augusta, only by invite. If you ask, you will not be considered.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2014, 04:36:38 PM »
The answer has to be Ballyneal, which I have as world top 20. I would join there in two seconds if I thought I would get out there more than once a year. That's of the courses I have seen - I haven't been to Dismal or Gozzer or Rock Creek or ... the list goes on and on. For 'joinability' in the United States, the Midwest section has to be king.

I quite agree, thought the course was great
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Sam Morrow

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2014, 04:37:05 PM »
If they didn't have odd seasons Whispering Pines would be solid.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2014, 04:37:30 PM »

The Bears Club in Jupiter

jeffwarne

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2014, 04:38:38 PM »
course or club?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Nigel Islam

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2014, 04:48:08 PM »
This thread is a bit pretentious considering that I have it on good authority that Ballyneal and Prairie Dunes won't take just anyone who offers to write a check.

John is certainly correct about that. I think there are a few clubs that would be receptive to a reasonable candidate. How good the course and the club are always open to debate, but I think Victoria National, Lookout Mountain, Inverness, Prairie Dunes, Valhalla, Holston Hills, and Wolf Run are some that as of a couple years ago did not have waiting lists.

Jud_T

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2014, 04:54:24 PM »
Just look for the ones who post their initiation and dues online...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back