News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carson Pilcher

Re: Best Private Course that's 'joinable'
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2014, 04:45:13 PM »
All I can say is, "Wow".  Some of you can say some disrespectful things...to the OP and other responders.

Try practicing some compassion....and maybe a little respect for a fellow golfer.

I assume you are talking about those who disrepected private club membership info by disclosing it on a public forum without prior approval....

100 bucks says you've assumed incorrectly.

Eric,  You know me well my friend.

Kevin_D

« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2014, 05:29:45 PM »
All I can say is, "Wow".  Some of you can say some disrespectful things...to the OP and other responders.

Try practicing some compassion....and maybe a little respect for a fellow golfer.

I assume you are talking about those who disrepected private club membership info by disclosing it on a public forum without prior approval....

Jud,

Just in case that last comment was directed at me, I was wondering why and from whom I should get approval.  Do tell.

Bob

Bob,

I wasn't speaking specifically about you, but given that MPCC doesn't even have a public website I can't imagine that they're keen to broadcast their initiation fees and dues structure broadly, even on such an august site as this.

Ummm...no fees listed but they do have a web site, that is essentially a membership brochure

http://www.mpccpb.org/Default.aspx?p=DynamicModule&pageid=343169&ssid=244606&vnf=1

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2014, 05:40:49 PM »

Bob,

I wasn't speaking specifically about you, but given that MPCC doesn't even have a public website I can't imagine that they're keen to broadcast their initiation fees and dues structure broadly, even on such an august site as this.

Jud,

Come on, it is a new world. Even the C.I.A. showed a sense of humor this week when they posted their first tweet:

Is private golf REALLY that serious?

David Beeney

« Reply #78 on: June 08, 2014, 06:27:29 PM »
Once again another inappropriate question about PRIVATE clubs.  There is a modus operandi with regard to the etiquette of club joining, at least on this side of the pond, that doesn't involve trolling on websites.  Unless you're talking about the biggest name courses in the best locations, most clubs do not have a wait list these days.  Apparently there are a lot of folks who assume that there should be a shopping app for blue light specials on club memberships so as to avoid contact with actual human beings.  Not really a resume builder for being a desirable member.  Maybe you should stick to Golf Now.

Your post seems to imply I'm 'trolling' looking for invites or membership information. I just wanted to gauge the opinions of a very educated board of golf course enthusiasts as to what the best courses are where there is a possibility to join as there are a number of courses that are virtually impossible to join. I know most clubs don't have waiting lists these days hence the question which is the best course that doesn't have a waiting list. Your pretentious attitude belongs in a previous century, like most normal people I aspire to be a member of and play at a great course one day, that is all. It was meant to be a fairly light-hearted discussion.

Jud_T

« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2014, 06:43:49 PM »
Once again another inappropriate question about PRIVATE clubs.  There is a modus operandi with regard to the etiquette of club joining, at least on this side of the pond, that doesn't involve trolling on websites.  Unless you're talking about the biggest name courses in the best locations, most clubs do not have a wait list these days.  Apparently there are a lot of folks who assume that there should be a shopping app for blue light specials on club memberships so as to avoid contact with actual human beings.  Not really a resume builder for being a desirable member.  Maybe you should stick to Golf Now.

Your post seems to imply I'm 'trolling' looking for invites or membership information. I just wanted to gauge the opinions of a very educated board of golf course enthusiasts as to what the best courses are where there is a possibility to join as there are a number of courses that are virtually impossible to join. I know most clubs don't have waiting lists these days hence the question which is the best course that doesn't have a waiting list. Your pretentious attitude belongs in a previous century, like most normal people I aspire to be a member of and play at a great course one day, that is all. It was meant to be a fairly light-hearted discussion.

No, you're trolling to see which clubs have wait lists and which clubs don't.  Also equally inappropriate IMHO.  Are you willing to join any highly rated club in the world?  Buy a place in St. Andrews and you can play the Old Course for a very reasonable stipend.  End of discussion.  Seriously, if you've spent a bit of time here, and are somewhat well traveled, it's pretty apparent which clubs have wait lists and which don't.  Does geography matter, or simply rankings and prestige?  Light-hearted is perhaps the wrong adjective for this inquiry.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

David Beeney

« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2014, 07:15:46 PM »

No, you're trolling to see which clubs have wait lists and which clubs don't.  Also equally inappropriate IMHO.  Are you willing to join any highly rated club in the world?  Buy a place in St. Andrews and you can play the Old Course for a very reasonable stipend.  End of discussion.  Seriously, if you've spent a bit of time here, and are somewhat well traveled, it's pretty apparent which clubs have wait lists and which don't.  Does geography matter, or simply rankings and prestige?  Light-hearted is perhaps the wrong adjective for this inquiry.

No, I couldn't care less about rankings or prestige. I work very hard and in a few years when I reach an age milestone I would like to treat myself and have place to go and play a truly fantastic golf course. Yes it's not hard to find info on clubs that have joining lists but my question was simply which do you consider the best course.  I could pay to play St Andres anytime, a lot of the great courses you have to be a member.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #81 on: June 08, 2014, 08:39:44 PM »
If someone had just mentioned Kingsley earlier we could have saved Tigerman a ton of embarrassment.

Scott Warren

« Reply #82 on: June 08, 2014, 10:26:50 PM »
Bob,

Jud,

A simple, "I'm sorry, Bob" would have sufficed.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 10:29:15 PM by Scott Warren »

Nigel Islam

« Reply #83 on: June 08, 2014, 10:34:19 PM »

Jud,

Just in case that last comment was directed at me, I was wondering why and from whom I should get approval.  Do tell.

Bob

Bob,

http://www.mpccpb.org/

Jud they do have a website, and I believe there is a place they even talk about their wait list:

http://www.mpccpb.org/Default.aspx?p=DynamicModule&pageid=343169&ssid=244606&vnf=1

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #84 on: June 08, 2014, 10:35:04 PM »
Threads like this happen because Ran allows these guys to post under fake names. We have enough apologies in the world. "Jud T" meant what he said he just forgot who he was insulting.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #85 on: June 09, 2014, 12:26:17 AM »

All I can say is, "Wow".  Some of you can say some disrespectful things...to the OP and other responders.

Common sense isn't so common.

Only a moron would "assume" that he's a golfer !

I could not agree more.  Common sense is not all that common.  My Grandfather used to tell me that as a child.  I've lived by that knowledge for most of my life.

Now, to your passive aggressive comment calling me a "moron" for assuming he is a golfer.  

He is a member of a golf course architecture forum

[color=blue
So participating on a website focused on architecture qualifies him to be a golfer ?

Would that mean that Seth Raynor was a golfer ?[/color]

and is looking to "join" a golf club that is the "best golf course that is joinable".  

Does that mean that if he lives in Des Moines that he'll move to New York, Los Angeles, Florida, Texas or Oregon if someone finds "the best course that is joinable" ?

Again, only a moron would conclude that he's trolling and willing to pull up his roots and move so that he could join "the best course that is joinable"
Shirley you're not so lacking in common sense that you thought that's why he created his post.

He also states in later posts that he plays at other courses.  

Wasn't that subsequent to your comment ?

I sincerely apologize for going out on too far of a limb for you to follow.

So far out on the limb that you think he's willing to alter his entire life and move thousands of miles just to join "the best club that is joinable" ?

I here by anoint you with colossal moron status

« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 08:10:19 AM by Patrick_Mucci »

Jud_T

« Reply #86 on: June 09, 2014, 07:07:34 AM »

Jud,

Bob

Bob,

http://www.mpccpb.org/

Jud they do have a website, and I believe there is a place they even talk about their wait list:

My bad.  They do have a website.  I loaded the members login earlier.  I still don't see where it mentions the waitlist or the cost of membership.  If they wanted to quote pricing it would have been listed on the site.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jud_T

« Reply #87 on: June 09, 2014, 07:20:01 AM »
If someone had just mentioned Kingsley earlier we could have saved Tigerman a ton of embarrassment.

That's ridiculous.  Anyone who's spent any time here and looked at their website knows Kingsley's one of the best courses that's joinable.  If, however, instead of feebly attempting to push people's buttons online you'd care to discuss the financial past and future of our respective clubs over cocktails, I'm buying.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 08:12:13 AM by Jud_T »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #88 on: June 09, 2014, 08:12:17 AM »

That's ridiculous.  Anyone who's spent 5 minutes here and looked at their website knows Kingsley's one of the best courses that's joinable.  If, however, instead of feebly attempting to push people's buttons online you'd care to discuss the financial past and future of our respective clubs over cocktails, I'm buying.

Sorry Jud, you must be confused because I am not a member of that club.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #89 on: June 09, 2014, 08:17:32 AM »
If Scott W is on-line, he and I have been given the invite to several clubs in the Tidewater VA area.  It's just they do not provide any better golf and I would rather spend the same $$ on trips.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Scott Warren

« Reply #90 on: June 09, 2014, 08:22:36 AM »

That's ridiculous.  Anyone who's spent any time here and looked at their website knows Kingsley's one of the best courses that's joinable.  If, however, instead of feebly attempting to push people's buttons online you'd care to discuss the financial past and future of our respective clubs over cocktails, I'm buying.

I preferred the ballsier pre-edit post. Not surprised you took it down.

JC Jones

« Reply #91 on: June 09, 2014, 09:25:47 AM »
What a pickle John K is in.  On one side of the coin he has to deal with someone posting to find out non-public information about private clubs (something he hates) and on the other side of the coin, he has Jud T (also something he hates).  It appears that in the hierarchy of John K hatred, Jud T is above disclosure of private club information.

Here is an idea, instead of making your decision to join a club based upon how high the ranking is and whether you can get in by just paying a fee, make your decision based on playing the golf course, experiencing the club determining whether you like it and then hopefully making enough relationships to gain admission.  The whole notion that someone would come on to this website WITH 10 posts and effectively say "I'm hoping to have enough money in a few years to join a club, which is the highest rated club I can get into?" is ridiculous.

The word private should mean something, otherwise we're just a society of places like Radrick Farms.

I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2014, 09:53:34 AM »

The word private should mean something, otherwise we're just a society of places like Radrick Farms.

Ok, please define private in the modern golf world.

Stephen Davis

« Reply #93 on: June 09, 2014, 10:00:18 AM »
This thread is a perfect microcosm of what is so wrong with the private golf mentality as it exists in America. We seem to feel that the more exclusive we can be the better. You would never have people taking such offense to a comment like this in Australia or the UK (outside of maybe one or two clubs). Too many private courses and private golfers take themselves far too seriously. 

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #94 on: June 09, 2014, 10:05:27 AM »
Boston Golf Club would be near the top of my list.

JC Jones

« Reply #95 on: June 09, 2014, 10:07:12 AM »

Ok, please define private in the modern golf world.

Not public.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jud_T

« Reply #96 on: June 09, 2014, 10:07:51 AM »
Stephen,

If you'd met half the people posting on this topic, you'd realize that being too serious is one of the last things we'd be accused of.  It's a question of non public info and a public forum.  We can debate the merits of the US vs. the GB&I and Aussie club models, but that's a separate issue.  Since you're all for full disclosure, why don't you tell us your address, phone number, current net worth, as well as a list of all your investments, sexual conquests and recent diseases?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 10:24:43 AM by Jud_T »

Tim Martin

« Reply #97 on: June 09, 2014, 10:10:15 AM »
As alluded to previously in this thread there is no context to encourage a reasonable discussion. First of all there should be some parameters as far as location because as Pat Mucci alluded to it makes no sense that someone would totally uproot and move across the country. Additionally there should be some distinction between "everyday" and destination clubs. With the exception of Sand Hills most destination clubs have openings whereas many "everyday" clubs do not. Without more information being disclosed by the original poster this is a fool's errand.

Kyle Casella

« Reply #98 on: June 09, 2014, 10:10:20 AM »

I think any club, even those with waiting lists, are imminently "joinable" if you know the right people.

Only a moron would make that claim.

Golfers seriously wanting to join PV, CPC, NGLA and others, all know the "right people"

Exactly and if the right members are their sponsors, they will likely get in without much of a wait not counting how long the "process" takes.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #99 on: June 09, 2014, 10:13:07 AM »
What a pickle John K is in.  On one side of the coin he has to deal with someone posting to find out non-public information about private clubs (something he hates) and on the other side of the coin, he has Jud T (also something he hates).  It appears that in the hierarchy of John K hatred, Jud T is above disclosure of private club information.

Here is an idea, instead of making your decision to join a club based upon how high the ranking is and whether you can get in by just paying a fee, make your decision based on playing the golf course, experiencing the club determining whether you like it and then hopefully making enough relationships to gain admission.  The whole notion that someone would come on to this website WITH 10 posts and effectively say "I'm hoping to have enough money in a few years to join a club, which is the highest rated club I can get into?" is ridiculous.

I don't believe I have ever said anything indicating that I hate "Jud T".  I consider all the members of Kingsley my friends.

As I mentioned on the another thread I believe the proof of access in a respective country can be seen in the faces of their amateur representatives.  I was very proud of the diverse team the U.S. Curtis Cup team put on the field.  GB&I, really...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back