News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Re: Best Private Course that's 'joinable'
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2014, 11:02:56 PM »
David, are you thinking of a national club you travel to occasionally, or a club near home you can play all time?   Where do you live if it's the latter?

I would agree about Ballyneal, great place, great club.  Ballyhack, the other Bally- club, is pretty special too. 

I started this thread out of curiosity more than anything else. In a few years I hope to be in a position to pay a decent sized initiation fee so I was wondering where the best place to join would be where you don't need to spend years on a waiting list or know half of the membership.

There are many private clubs below the top tier and many are very affordable.  For example, my son who lives on the Southeast corner of Houston is joining Bay Oaks, a long established club where many members paid $20,000 and up to join.  He's paying $2,500 initiation.  This is not too unusual these days. 

it was at one time 30,000

I knew he was a classy kid!   ;D

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2014, 12:23:13 AM »
Riviera?
Valley Club?
MPCC?
Palmetto?
AugustaCC?
Clear Creek?

aside from the others mentioned

it would be fun to live on Long Island, no doubt

I have been a member of both Riviera and MPCC, the former too long ago to know anything about the process. MPCC is very democratic,
with two sponsors and $225.000.00. and providing always, that you are not a felon, there should be no impediment to your acceptance.
The beauty of a membership at MPCC is that you get back 50% of the entrance fee upon resigning. It is gratifying to note there has never been the necessity for an assessment.

Bob

Thomas Dai

« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2014, 08:50:39 AM »
Hi all,
I was wondering what is the best private golf course that's joinable? When I say joinable I mean a club without a waiting list, so if your pockets are deep enough and you know a couple of members you can get in.

"When I say joinable I mean a club without a waiting list"

Given the love expressed around here perhaps Painswick! :)

No waiting list and inexpensive.

But......despite the love expressed herein, could you actually see yourself playing it as your home course with all it's hills and quirk 2-3-4 times per week?

atb
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 12:13:48 PM by Thomas Dai »

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2014, 08:55:50 AM »
Hi all,

I was wondering what is the best private golf course that's joinable? When I say joinable I mean a club without a waiting list, so if your pockets are deep enough and you know a couple of members you can get in.

Depends on your deinotion of "know".
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2014, 04:26:44 PM »

One, you one have to be alum, faculty, or work at hospital to have full access.  A renewable season membership pass any different than being stuck with mistakes of idiot board members?  They don't require initiation.  It is a quasi private membership.  So because it is a University Course that doesn't have debt it isn't relevant?  Because they don't have logo blazers and assessments due to morons they are diminished from private status??  There is only X amount of full member season pass members.  

Quasi private membership? Is that like being half pregnant?

Quasi private relates to being assoc. with a University.  Prop taxes are pretty low in Michigan for golf courses!  Equity would be full prego, meaning you would be waiting till you are dead to get your stock back!   ;D

In a word, public. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2014, 04:39:17 PM »
Muirfield was 19 years it maybe slightly quicker by a year or so for the right sort but it's not exactly a quick or easy process. It took my friend 11 years but then his father was a member!
Cave Nil Vino

BCowan

« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2014, 04:45:22 PM »

One, you one have to be alum, faculty, or work at hospital to have full access.  A renewable season membership pass any different than being stuck with mistakes of idiot board members?  They don't require initiation.  It is a quasi private membership.  So because it is a University Course that doesn't have debt it isn't relevant?  Because they don't have logo blazers and assessments due to morons they are diminished from private status??  There is only X amount of full member season pass members.  

Quasi private membership? Is that like being half pregnant?

Quasi private relates to being assoc. with a University.  Prop taxes are pretty low in Michigan for golf courses!  Equity would be full prego, meaning you would be waiting till you are dead to get your stock back!   ;D

In a word, public. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

My definition of public is real simple.  Joe calls from his phone, isn't a member of any type doesn't play. 

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2014, 05:02:38 PM »
Muirfield was 19 years it maybe slightly quicker by a year or so for the right sort but it's not exactly a quick or easy process. It took my friend 11 years but then his father was a member!

Mark,

my understanding was it was by invite.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2014, 05:06:35 PM »

I actually can't believe someone suggested Muirfield as an option.

Well Brian, not as bad as 'Friars Head?' Bit like Pebble Beach? CPC? ANGC? etc. etc. etc........  ::)

Bill Vogeney

« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2014, 05:31:11 PM »
This thread is a bit pretentious considering that I have it on good authority that Ballyneal and Prairie Dunes won't take just anyone who offers to write a check.

As a national member of Prairie Dunes I can't believe they have any serious membership requirements, to be honest. It is a very unpretentious place, very friendly. After all, I am a member there ;D

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2014, 08:49:20 PM »
David

With the parameters that you set out for immediate access and a certain concern for the tariff, I very much doubt that you will find many a Club seeking you out.

However, good luck in your search.

Bob

BHoover

« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2014, 10:16:35 PM »
Based on the photos I see on twitter, the answer appears to be Outpost Club.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2014, 02:47:58 AM »

Muirfield cannot be easily joined and I don't see how including it is going to add anything to this thread which is meant as a genuine request for information, not just an excuse to name the top clubs within 100 miles of your front door.

Brian, the original question was 'I was wondering what is the best private golf course that's joinable? When I say joinable I mean a club without a waiting list, so if your pockets are deep enough and you know a couple of members you can get in.

So even though I threw Muirfield in a flippant manner it is still valid if you know the right people and/or have deep pockets.

Where as to suggest a name and a ? does not answer the original question which was my point. If we all did that you could name any club hence my list of obvious no chance clubs.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 04:30:57 AM by Jon Wiggett »

Jud_T

« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2014, 08:00:45 AM »
Once again another inappropriate question about PRIVATE clubs.  There is a modus operandi with regard to the etiquette of club joining, at least on this side of the pond, that doesn't involve trolling on websites.  Unless you're talking about the biggest name courses in the best locations, most clubs do not have a wait list these days.  Apparently there are a lot of folks who assume that there should be a shopping app for blue light specials on club memberships so as to avoid contact with actual human beings.  Not really a resume builder for being a desirable member.  Maybe you should stick to Golf Now.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2014, 08:32:58 AM »
Once again another inappropriate question about PRIVATE clubs.  There is a modus operandi with regard to the etiquette of club joining, at least on this side of the pond, that doesn't involve trolling on websites.  Unless you're talking about the biggest name courses in the best locations, most clubs do not have a wait list these days.  Apparently there are a lot of folks who assume that there should be a shopping app for blue light specials on club memberships so as to avoid contact with actual human beings.  Not really a resume builder for being a desirable member.  Maybe you should stick to Golf Now.

I recently did an "audit" of our family wireless plan and one thing is for sure. If my son is fairly typical of 18 year olds now, private club golf is toast. They simple don't TALK on the phone.

Don't yell at me. I have told him that if he learns to talk on the phone, he will be in the top 1% of society  :)

in addition, there are better sites than Golf Now for private club golf now  :D

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2014, 09:25:34 AM »

I think any club, even those with waiting lists, are imminently "joinable" if you know the right people.

Only a moron would make that claim.

Golfers seriously wanting to join PV, CPC, NGLA and others, all know the "right people"

Carson Pilcher

« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2014, 11:46:56 AM »
All I can say is, "Wow".  Some of you can say some disrespectful things...to the OP and other responders.

Try practicing some compassion....and maybe a little respect for a fellow golfer.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2014, 12:06:52 PM »

All I can say is, "Wow".  Some of you can say some disrespectful things...to the OP and other responders.

Common sense isn't so common.

Try practicing some compassion....and maybe a little respect for a fellow golfer.

Only a moron would "assume" that he's a golfer !

Jud_T

« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2014, 01:29:25 PM »

I assume you are talking about those who disrepected private club membership info by disclosing it on a public forum without prior approval....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ryan Coles

« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2014, 01:47:53 PM »

I assume you are talking about those who disrepected private club membership info by disclosing it on a public forum without prior approval....

Jud, are you referring to Bob Huntley's comments on MPCC?

Frankly, if I'd paid 225k to join a Club that is not even in the top 3 in the immediate area, I'd class it as my prerogative to tell whoever I liked.

You guys play a game of which I am not familiar......

Eric Smith

« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2014, 02:37:35 PM »

100 bucks says you've assumed incorrectly.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2014, 02:53:03 PM »

Jud,

Just in case that last comment was directed at me, I was wondering why and from whom I should get approval.  Do tell.

Bob

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2014, 03:40:16 PM »
I would suggest Forest Creek as a fine private club that is joinable.  Two really good courses, you've seen the men's locker room, really nice clubhouse, easily accessible as it is just over an hour's drive from RDU Airport, weather is good enough to play most months of the year and plenty of places to stay in the area. Oh, and some other really good golf in the area.

Carson Pilcher

« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2014, 04:12:41 PM »

Common sense isn't so common.

Only a moron would "assume" that he's a golfer !

I could not agree more.  Common sense is not all that common.  My Grandfather used to tell me that as a child.  I've lived by that knowledge for most of my life.

Now, to your passive aggressive comment calling me a "moron" for assuming he is a golfer.  He is a member of a golf course architecture forum and is looking to "join" a golf club that is the "best golf course that is joinable".  He also states in later posts that he plays at other courses.  I sincerely apologize for going out on too far of a limb for you to follow.

Jud_T

« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2014, 04:42:36 PM »

Jud,

Just in case that last comment was directed at me, I was wondering why and from whom I should get approval.  Do tell.

Bob

Bob,

I wasn't speaking specifically about you, but given that MPCC doesn't even have a public website I can't imagine that they're keen to broadcast their initiation fees and dues structure broadly, even on such an august site as this.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back