News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Beeney

Re: Best Private Course that's 'joinable'
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2014, 05:23:20 PM »
course or club?

Course

I started this thread just to see if anyone had any strong opinions about the place to join. Augusta, Cypress Point, Pine Valley, Shinnecock, Winged Foot, Oakmont and clubs like that, 90% people will probably be stuck on a waiting list for a long time. As someone mentioned, somewhere like the Bears club is relatively easy to get into.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2014, 05:24:41 PM »
Just look for the ones who post their initiation and dues online...

LOL! I seem to remember this being an interesting discussion recently.

Brian Potash

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2014, 05:41:36 PM »
The answer has to be Ballyneal, which I have as world top 20. I would join there in two seconds if I thought I would get out there more than once a year. That's of the courses I have seen - I haven't been to Dismal or Gozzer or Rock Creek or ... the list goes on and on. For 'joinability' in the United States, the Midwest section has to be king.

As a Ballyneal member, I am hopeful there will be a waiting list at this point next year.

Was thinking Friars Head as the answer to your question.

Paul Carey

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2014, 05:48:06 PM »
This thread is a bit pretentious considering that I have it on good authority that Ballyneal and Prairie Dunes won't take just anyone who offers to write a check.

Do you mean "presumptuous"?
As we are presuming something that may not be true.  
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 05:50:47 PM by Paul Carey »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2014, 05:55:03 PM »
David, are you thinking of a national club you travel to occasionally, or a club near home you can play all time?   Where do you live if it's the latter?

I would agree about Ballyneal, great place, great club.  Ballyhack, the other Bally- club, is pretty special too. 

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2014, 06:03:13 PM »
I didnt know that The Bears Club was an easy get.

With members like Michael Jordan, Rory, Luke Donald, Michelle Wie  and many other tour pros- is it really that easy to get into.

I wouldnt think they would just let anyone in. Big Pockets or not.

David Beeney

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2014, 06:04:59 PM »
David, are you thinking of a national club you travel to occasionally, or a club near home you can play all time?   Where do you live if it's the latter?

I would agree about Ballyneal, great place, great club.  Ballyhack, the other Bally- club, is pretty special too. 

I started this thread out of curiosity more than anything else. In a few years I hope to be in a position to pay a decent sized initiation fee so I was wondering where the best place to join would be where you don't need to spend years on a waiting list or know half of the membership.

David Beeney

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2014, 06:07:04 PM »
I didnt know that The Bears Club was an easy get.

With members like Michael Jordan, Rory, Luke Donald, Michelle Wie  and many other tour pros- is it really that easy to get into.

I wouldnt think they would just let anyone in. Big Pockets or not.

On a relative basis compared with Augusta, Pine Valley, Cypress Point and Seminole it's easy to get in. They don't just let anyone in but if you know a couple of members and you're not a complete moron you won't have to wait too long to get in.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2014, 06:11:19 PM »
Dornoch & Brora both of which are within the reach of even a modest wallet. Muirfield if you know the right people. Bet you can still get in Loch Lomond.

Jon

Bill Gayne

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2014, 06:36:01 PM »
Donald Trump and his family would be happy to welcome new members to the World's greatest golf courses.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2014, 06:56:18 PM »

I started this thread out of curiosity more than anything else. In a few years I hope to be in a position to pay a decent sized initiation fee so I was wondering where the best place to join would be where you don't need to spend years on a waiting list or know half of the membership.

There are many private clubs below the top tier and many are very affordable.  For example, my son who lives on the Southeast corner of Houston is joining Bay Oaks, a long established club where many members paid $20,000 and up to join.  He's paying $2,500 initiation.  This is not too unusual these days. 

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2014, 07:40:46 PM »
Another vote for Olympia Fields in Chicago suburbs.
I think if you started process now, you would be in by July 4th.

As for the Bear's Club in FL...I heard that Kid Rock just joined.

Also heard funny story about A golf club in New England (I won't "name names",)but heard that an older prospective member wanted to write check and was told there was a 10 year wait. He offered to pay 2x initiation. Denied. 4x....denied. Then he dropped a big number on them and the board let him in and changed their by-laws to state that anyone who writes that big of a check can get in.

Ain't that America....

Jim Jackson

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2014, 07:58:59 PM »
One vote for Long Cove.  I understand that golf membership is a perk of home ownership.  What a course and club.

Paul Gray

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2014, 08:11:08 PM »
Being VERY flexible with the term 'great,' I believe Wentworth will have anyone that'll chuck enough money at them.

Then again, rightly or wrongly,  there's a price for everything.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Josh Stevens

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2014, 08:42:14 PM »
Most of Australia's top end clubs are joinable if you are prepared to put in the work.  Waiting lists are now very short or non-existent but one must still go through the process of getting 5-8 sponsors etc

Sam Morrow

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2014, 08:50:01 PM »

There are many private clubs below the top tier and many are very affordable.  For example, my son who lives on the Southeast corner of Houston is joining Bay Oaks, a long established club where many members paid $20,000 and up to join.  He's paying $2,500 initiation.  This is not too unusual these days. 
it was at one time 30,000

BCowan

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2014, 09:19:56 PM »

My club posts theirs online and has a 4 year waiting list! :)  Typical elitist comment.

Kingsley Club
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 09:56:39 PM by BCowan »

William_G

« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2014, 09:22:28 PM »
Riviera?
Valley Club?
MPCC?
Eugene?
Waverley?
Palmetto?
AugustaCC?
Clear Creek?

aside from the others mentioned

it would be fun to live on Long Island, no doubt
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 09:35:55 PM by William_G »
It's all about the golf!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2014, 09:35:37 PM »
The US is full of "joinable" clubs. Every city has a number of fine clubs to join. It just depends how much you want to spend and what kind of club you want. 
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Lou_Duran

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2014, 10:06:44 PM »
One vote for Long Cove.  I understand that golf membership is a perk of home ownership.  What a course and club.

Two.  There were some excellent homes selling at a 30-50% discount couple years ago.  Today, nothing much for under $500k.  Transfer fee (maybe $20k?) and annual HOA dues north of $10k.

As of a year or two ago, Colonial CC in Fort Worth had a fairly open line to membership.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2014, 10:35:41 PM »

My club posts theirs online and has a 4 year waiting list! :)  Typical elitist comment.

Kingsley Club

It's a waiting list to get a season pass to the university course. How is that remotely relevant?

http://radrick.umich.edu/?page_id=167
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Kevin_D

« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2014, 10:38:48 PM »
All clubs are joinable.  Just maybe not by you  ;D

BCowan

« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2014, 10:41:38 PM »

Kingsley Club

It's a waiting list to get a season pass to the university course. How is that remotely relevant?

http://radrick.umich.edu/?page_id=167

One, you one have to be alum, faculty, or work at hospital to have full access.  A renewable season membership pass any different than being stuck with mistakes of idiot board members?  They don't require initiation.  It is a quasi private membership.  So because it is a University Course that doesn't have debt it isn't relevant?  Because they don't have logo blazers and assessments due to morons they are diminished from private status??  There is only X amount of full member season pass members. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 10:45:15 PM by BCowan »

Howard Riefs

« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2014, 10:50:16 PM »

One, you one have to be alum, faculty, or work at hospital to have full access.  A renewable season membership pass any different than being stuck with mistakes of idiot board members?  They don't require initiation.  It is a quasi private membership.  So because it is a University Course that doesn't have debt it isn't relevant?  Because they don't have logo blazers and assessments due to morons they are diminished from private status??  There is only X amount of full member season pass members. 

Quasi private membership? Is that like being half pregnant?
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

BCowan

« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2014, 10:53:02 PM »

One, you one have to be alum, faculty, or work at hospital to have full access.  A renewable season membership pass any different than being stuck with mistakes of idiot board members?  They don't require initiation.  It is a quasi private membership.  So because it is a University Course that doesn't have debt it isn't relevant?  Because they don't have logo blazers and assessments due to morons they are diminished from private status??  There is only X amount of full member season pass members.  

Quasi private membership? Is that like being half pregnant?

Quasi private relates to being assoc. with a University.  Prop taxes are pretty low in Michigan for golf courses!  Equity would be full prego, meaning you would be waiting till you are dead to get your stock back!   ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back