News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Re:GCA.com'ers aren't what they want you to think they are.
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2005, 06:21:22 PM »
John Cullum:

No, I played Sand Hills. I played the first day with Pat and I played a few other days with some others and I played all the holes a bunch of times alone late a few other days. It's not that I don't like to play really, it's basically that my shoulder rotator cuff is torn and it's not too easy to play. If I was healthy though, I would've play more than I did but probably not nearly as much as some of the others did. One odd thing about me playing though, is with my shoulder and as short as I can sometimes be because of it, particuarly with the driver I do like to play the tips and that's most of what I did at Sand Hills. I just like to see what a course is like from the back. I've always done that. But I really do like to just look at everything and anything and I'm just one of those people who're able to do that a lot better if I'm not playing golf. I did try a lot of different types of shots out there on all the holes though. I think I have a pretty good idea about what that course is about.  

But as Gene Greco, our wonderfully hospitable and informative host, said, we did see Sand Hills G.C. in some pretty mild conditions. If it was really blowing out there I don't have that clear an idea what exactly some of those holes would be like to play. I can sort of imagine though.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 06:23:48 PM by TEPaul »

John_Cullum

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2005, 06:27:43 PM »
TP

I was liking it better when I thougt you didn't play just to piss off Pat
Raynor was a hack

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2005, 06:34:13 PM »
John Cullum,

As long as I'm doing what I want to do, nobody is going to piss me off, unless it's the principle of the thing  ;D

Trust me, I had a great time playing golf that day despite having to give Ran Morrissett 12 shots on one of our bets.

John_Cullum

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2005, 06:38:47 PM »
As long as I'm doing what I want to do, nobody is going to piss me off, unless it's the principle of the thing  ;D

Pat

We are all aware you can get pissed off just on principle, and I am confident Tom Paul knows exactly how to get you to the brink.

And what's with this 12 strokes for Ran? You and Huck are suckers. I expect you to know better.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 06:40:12 PM by John Cullum »
Raynor was a hack

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2005, 06:51:04 PM »
John Cullum,

Huck is the sucker.

I did know better.

That's why I created three bets.

One at 12 strokes, one at 10 strokes and one at 8 strokes.

Ran, through what could best be described as a totally mis-hit, mis-directed putt won the 12 shot bet on the 17th hole, and lost the 10 and 8 shot bets in the morning match.

In the afternoon match, the only sound that could be heard on the tranquil high plains and sand hills of Nebraska was a continuous, unmanly, shrill and prolonged whining that begged for 12 shots.

As a 7 handicap, I felt that he was taking advantage, but, as a friend, I felt that I owed him the chance to claim victory, no matter how tainted it was.

You have to learn to prime the pump, to let the other guy win every once in a while so that he will return, over and over again, expecting different results.

We were competitive, and, we did have fun.

P.S.  Anyone who thinks that hickories are meant for the ground game doesn't know their ass from a niblick.

As to TEPaul,

You have it backwards, I'm the one who lights his fuse.

On the flight home we had a rather attractive attendent.
I mean she was really attactive, and nice.
I pointed out the guy wearing the Sand Hills shirt and Sand Hills cap.   I asked her to approach him and ask him if he was the famous golf course architect, Bill Coore.

She did.

He responded, "No, but, I know him."

She responded, "Yeah, and so does the guy sitting a few rows in front of you."

It's easy to light his fuse.
Just ask him about the time I pulled his ticket out of his pocket in the Denver Airport and left it on the ground. ;D
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 06:55:51 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

Gene Greco

« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2005, 07:13:13 PM »
So that's how Tom Paul "lost" his ticket!!!! :D

Patrick, you're too much. :D
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

THuckaby2

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2005, 09:03:22 PM »
Sarge:

You will note that no money was exchanged for any of these matches... nor was any real pride involved.. because any man who can ask for 12 strokes in a match HAS no pride.  Thus while some might consider me a sucker, well I prefer to think of it as granting delusions to the delusional, who need such so much.

;D

John_Cullum

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2005, 10:00:01 PM »
Well put Huck
Raynor was a hack

Mike Hendren

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2005, 10:03:26 PM »
.. because any man who can ask for 12 strokes in a match HAS no pride.  
 ;D

Spoken like a true loser ::)

Time for me to settle a side bet.  Did Mucci call you a schmuck?

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Dan Kelly

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2005, 10:03:39 PM »
What's with this "giving strokes" stuff?

What does that mean?

I thought "we" were Match Play Fanatics!
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2005, 11:02:28 PM »
Bogey Hendren,

You lost your bet.

I didn't call Tom Huckaby a schmuck.

The only time I use the phrase "schmuck or schmucks" is when guys on GCA.com start using cutesy pie surnames instead of their real names.   ;D

Mike Hendren

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2005, 11:07:23 PM »
Bogey Hendren,

You lost your bet.

I didn't call Tom Huckaby a schmuck.

The only time I use the phrase "schmuck or schmucks" is when guys on GCA.com start using cutesy pie surnames instead of their real names.   ;D

At least now I win the second bet. ;D

Be well.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Neil Regan

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2005, 11:26:46 PM »

Ran and I tried to pretend we didn't see them as they were shouting from the cab and back of the pickup truck.

Pat,
Are you sure that you weren't in any bunkers ?
Grass speed  <>  Green Speed

TEPaul

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2005, 05:06:55 AM »
"As to TEPaul,

I pointed out the guy wearing the Sand Hills shirt and Sand Hills cap.  I asked her to approach him and ask him if he was the famous golf course architect, Bill Coore.

She did.

Patrick:

You got me that time and she sure was attractive. But when she told me; "Yeah, and so does the guy sitting up in first class"----

I told her:

"Babe, I know that duffus too but I try not to admit it---the guy is a weirdo who pick-pockets tickets off people in airports and throws them on the floor."

She said:

"That does sound like a weirdo"

And, as she turned to go back up the plane, I said,

"Hey, Hon, how's your life?"

She said;

"I think it's great, just the way I want it."

And I said to her:

"Glad to hear it, in that case don't accept any candy from that duffus up in first class who sent you back here."

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2005, 05:56:23 AM »
As long as the pickup has a cooler of Coors Light in the back, lets ride!!!

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Neil Regan

« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2005, 06:22:36 AM »
As long as the pickup has a cooler of Coors Light in the back, lets ride!!!

How about Coore Light ?

Tom Paul with Constellation Map among the unbuilt holes
Grass speed  <>  Green Speed

John Foley

« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2005, 06:34:55 AM »
Don't know about the others that have been there, but I loved looking at the Constelation Map and seeing what else C&C found. Who would have thought to make a copy of it and then hop in a pick up to see what you could find. Sort of like GCA's own Magellan!! How great was it that you had your own personal photograpoher there!

What you sould have done was kept driving over to the Dismal River Club and seen what they we're up to!

Tom P - Do you know if the map showed a plan to use that massive blow out that is to the E of the 8th tee? Thought that might have been the most awesome hazard at the place.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Jim Thompson

« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2005, 10:47:53 AM »
David,

If you ever get up here to play, you will comforted in knowing that you will have a chance to get your hands on 52 and 55 degree Ram Watson Troon grind wedges and a 60 ti face that matches the set.  I can assure you that the sweet spots are barely used.  As an added bonus you won't even have to try on the lederhosen during negotiations ;D.

Cheers!

JT
Jim Thompson

Pat_Mucci

« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2005, 11:16:42 AM »

Tom P - Do you know if the map showed a plan to use that massive blow out that is to the E of the 8th tee? Thought that might have been the most awesome hazard at the place.

John,

There are a number of cavernous blowouts on the property.

Some appear to be used to mine sand, such as the one you mention and another one that's out sight as you play the back nine.

The area you mention is currently inhabited by a porcupine, with deer occasionally frequenting the site.

Ran and I got stuck in there for a few minutes with our cart one afternoon.

I took a cart one afternoon and drove around the service paths and noticed quite a few bowls and blowouts.
When you sit on Ben's porch and use the binoculars you can see quite a few of them, as far as the eye can see.
[/color]

TEPaul

« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2005, 11:29:14 AM »
John Foley:

The interesting thing about taking that "Constellation Map" out on that land is what you see is basically just what the holes would've been. In that way SH may be almost wholly unique in the last 75-90 years. I did not quite appreciate just how little they changed much of anything out there. And that's the reason looking at that Constellation Map and the land is so interesting. What you're looking at is the way those holes would've been by just planting fairways and green sites, and perhaps formalizing some blowouts and scrapes into bunkers. How often can one say that about any golf course? That's why using the Map on the land is so interesting. With most other holes on other golf courses you have to imagine what the land looked like before they altered it into holes. Not so at SH. You don't have to imagine, you really are looking at what they would've been if you are sure the stick lines, tee marks, LZs and green dots are in the places you're looking.

The only thing that Dick Youngscap cautioned me on with the Constellation Map is he wasn't sure just how much in scale Bill or Ben were when they drew it. Some hole iterations are more obvious than others on the land though. Yes, there are holes around that big blow out you mentioned---a tacking hole that was to be a #7 (par 5) and another one that was to be #11 (long par 4).

It looks like on a couple of proposed holes they were going to use a few situations of "in your face" blindness ala some of the over-ridge holes of Royal County Down. One proposed #1 out there is unbelievable that way. If you know where "Tire Iron Hill" is there was a tee on the road to Ben's porch going right over a ridge in the direction of the clubhouse to a blind Valley. A #9 came in through the valley to a green about where the back of the practice putting green now is.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2005, 11:37:38 AM by TEPaul »

BCowan

« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2015, 04:08:26 PM »
John Cullum,

Huck is the sucker.

I did know better.

That's why I created three bets.

One at 12 strokes, one at 10 strokes and one at 8 strokes.

Ran, through what could best be described as a totally mis-hit, mis-directed putt won the 12 shot bet on the 17th hole, and lost the 10 and 8 shot bets in the morning match.

In the afternoon match, the only sound that could be heard on the tranquil high plains and sand hills of Nebraska was a continuous, unmanly, shrill and prolonged whining that begged for 12 shots.

As a 7 handicap, I felt that he was taking advantage, but, as a friend, I felt that I owed him the chance to claim victory, no matter how tainted it was.

You have to learn to prime the pump, to let the other guy win every once in a while so that he will return, over and over again, expecting different results.

We were competitive, and, we did have fun.

P.S.  Anyone who thinks that hickories are meant for the ground game doesn't know their ass from a niblick.

As to TEPaul,

I pointed out the guy wearing the Sand Hills shirt and Sand Hills cap.   I asked her to approach him and ask him if he was the famous golf course architect, Bill Coore.

She did.

It's easy to light his fuse.
Just ask him about the time I pulled his ticket out of his pocket in the Denver Airport and left it on the ground. ;D

Pat that is a great story.  throw back Thursdays!!!  ;D ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back