News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BHoover

Re: 5th Annual Midwest Mashie (Oct. 4-5th) Canterbury GC! - The Aftermath
« Reply #225 on: January 15, 2015, 10:10:49 AM »
It's 15 degrees in Indy today, I'm still bummed that I missed this Mashie and I'd like something to talk about/look forward to.

So, was wondering if there was any chatter about the 2015 Mashie location?

That's not too much colder than the weather we had the weekend of the Mashie. It was unfortunate we had such lousy NE Ohio weather that weekend. The entire month of September and the following weeks were perfect. That's just the way it goes in NE Ohio.

But I applaud you for thinking about golf during the dreary days of winter. I think getting a club to give up a weekend in August is going to be a stretch, unfortunately. I also think that August is a tough month with people being on family vacations, etc.

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #226 on: January 15, 2015, 10:16:36 AM »
I wasn't able to make it to Canterbury this year unfortunately, but I had a great time last year at Kingsley, albeit I was on the losing side...

I have no idea about the logistics or what the status will be for Renaissance Golf's new course at Forest Dunes – but that could potentially be a great location and perhaps a tour of the routing/grow-in could be facilitated and depending on Tom's schedule even a brief presentation could be arranged.

I would think that would be a weekend not to be missed...

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #227 on: January 15, 2015, 10:19:23 AM »
Having just looked at the photos on the previous page, I have to ask those who have played it: Is Canterbury a tad over-treed?
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Josh Tarble

« Reply #228 on: January 15, 2015, 10:20:26 AM »
I wasn't able to make it to Canterbury this year unfortunately, but I had a great time last year at Kingsley, albeit I was on the losing side...

I have no idea about the logistics or what the status will be for Renaissance Golf's new course at Forest Dunes – but that could potentially be a great location and perhaps a tour of the routing/grow-in could be facilitated and depending on Tom's schedule even a brief presentation could be arranged.

I would think that would be a weekend not to be missed...

If the grow-in would allow, that would be amazing.  Although several rounds on the current course would also be great...potentially a little expensive though.  Plus we can't let you Michigan guys have all the fun.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #229 on: January 15, 2015, 10:46:58 AM »
I trust The Godfather's judgment. I do hope that the Mashie remains a fall event. It also gives the event its own character as opposed to the numerous summer gatherings we already have. Good beer tastes better in the fall, the bonfires feel warmer, and the harvest-season food really hits the spot after 36 holes. Most importantly, Midwestern golf courses are at their best in the fall - the weather may be fickle sometimes, but Canterbury's playing surfaces were just awesome, as were Kingsley's the year before and The Fort/Broadmoor's before that.

I can think of about 30 locations and about 100 courses that would make great host sites. One of these years we'll have to venture into Missouri, Iowa, or Minnesota. A truly urban Mashie in Chicago could be great, though I must apologize in advance to the East Team captain for staying out until 4 or 5 on Saturday night and showing up on Sunday wearing the same clothes that I slept in. There are tons of great sites scattered around Indiana and Ohio and Michigan and even Wisconsin that I already know about, but I also don't doubt The Godfather's ability to come up with a great spot that I know very little about.

Regardless of where it is, I'll be there with the East Team's rightful trophy riding shotgun and ready to ride home with the 2015 East Team captain.

Also, I'm spinning Rick's post off into another thread.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

PCCraig

« Reply #230 on: January 15, 2015, 11:10:54 AM »
As a contributor to the first two Mashie's, I would like to know when Minnesota is going to host? I'm sure the MN GCA contingent would throw a heck of an event at either one or a number of our home courses.

We would have the possibility of reasonable access to 4 (5?) high-quality private clubs in the area, plus if we wanted to we could try to set up a round at the recently renovated Keller GC.
Also consider the weather in Minnesota around the end of September and early October is all-world with cool nights and highs around 65-75*.
Every other state, outside of Illinois in the Midwest has hosted already...Michigan (x2), Ohio, Indiana, Wisconsin.
We have an international airport located in the middle of the country, making visits from GCAers from all over the country possible.
Jason Topp lives here... do I need to go on?
H.P.S.

BHoover

« Reply #231 on: January 15, 2015, 11:18:05 AM »
As a contributor to the first two Mashie's, I would like to know when Minnesota is going to host? I'm sure the MN GCA contingent would throw a heck of an event at either one or a number of our home courses.

We would have the possibility of reasonable access to 4 (5?) high-quality private clubs in the area, plus if we wanted to we could try to set up a round at the recently renovated Keller GC.
Also consider the weather in Minnesota around the end of September and early October is all-world with cool nights and highs around 65-75*.
Every other state, outside of Illinois in the Midwest has hosted already...Michigan (x2), Ohio, Indiana, Wisconsin.
We have an international airport located in the middle of the country, making visits from GCAers from all over the country possible.
Jason Topp lives here... do I need to go on?

Pat is absolutely right (and it has nothing to do with me now being a Minnesota resident).

Bill McKinley is the expert on Canterbury, so he is the one to ask for all questions Canterbury. Mike LoPrest, the super, is implementing a gradual tree removal program. There is no parkland course that I know with better turf than Canterbury, so the trees absolutely do not negatively impact the turf. The fairways and approaches are superb.

Josh Tarble

« Reply #232 on: January 15, 2015, 11:19:15 AM »
Pat,
I know I'd be up for a journey to the north...as long as you can guarantee it won't snow  :)  My wife's best friend also lives in Minneapolis so I'm sure I could pawn her off for a trip.  

Brian Hilko

« Reply #233 on: January 15, 2015, 11:22:53 AM »
White bear is worth the trip from about anywhere in the Midwest!
Down with the brown

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #234 on: January 15, 2015, 12:24:50 PM »
I'd travel from Cincy for a Minnesota Mashie in early-mid September. I've been to MSP 4 times, but haven't managed to step outside the airport. Lots of courses I'd like to see up there.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #235 on: January 15, 2015, 03:15:36 PM »
Among our active Minnesota GCAers, we have members at Town & Country (1893, Ben Schurmeier w/ a little Tilly), Midland Hills (1920, Raynor), Stillwater (1924/1959, Tom Vardon & Paul Coates) and Windsong Farm (2004, Fought & Lehman) - a little bit of everything. Throw in Keller (1929, Coates - with a 2014 Mandell renovation), and those are the courses that could easily be the sites of a Midwest Mashie.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back