News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JLahrman

Re: 5th Annual Midwest Mashie (Oct. 4-5th) Canterbury GC! - THE FINAL PUSH!!!
« Reply #150 on: October 01, 2014, 11:37:07 AM »
I've got a 3-year-old and a 13-month-old. Between that, and 6 months of double mortgage in 2012/2013, there wasn't a whole lot of golf played.

I think we are living parallel lives.

BHoover

« Reply #151 on: October 01, 2014, 01:48:14 PM »
Well, after 2 weeks of the best fall weather I can ever remember in Cleveland, it looks like Saturday is the day it turns...high of 52, windy, and some rain.  Accuweather has it feeling like 40 degrees at 4 pm...Looks like it's time to dig out the cold weather gear!

The weather was bound to change at some point.  Unfortunately it looks like the Ohio weather gods chose the weekend of the Mashie for that change to happen.  Sunday does look better, though.

Bring your mittens!

Michael Marzec

« Reply #152 on: October 01, 2014, 03:08:03 PM »
Well, after 2 weeks of the best fall weather I can ever remember in Cleveland, it looks like Saturday is the day it turns...high of 52, windy, and some rain.  Accuweather has it feeling like 40 degrees at 4 pm...Looks like it's time to dig out the cold weather gear!

The weather was bound to change at some point.  Unfortunately it looks like the Ohio weather gods chose the weekend of the Mashie for that change to happen.  Sunday does look better, though.

Bring your mittens!

Until it starts snowing, the weather really hasn't changed in Cleveland. It's just having a bad day.
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. And furthermore, always carry a small snake." - W.C. Fields

Jason Thurman

« Reply #153 on: October 01, 2014, 07:25:12 PM »
I don't want to speak for Bill, but it may help pairings if we know handicaps in advance. I'm assuming most guys would prefer to play against players of similar skill. I know ballpark indexes for a lot of the East guys, but don't have a clue about Steele, Allen, Fuesnte, or Housteau, nor the rookies on the West outside of Criss.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Bill McKinley

« Reply #154 on: October 01, 2014, 07:58:37 PM »
Ok West!! Go ahead and post your handicaps in this thread and I'll go to work on the pairings. Also, feel free to PM me if you have any requests or concerns.

--Captain Bill
2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #155 on: October 01, 2014, 08:10:38 PM »
Index = 4 / Course Handicap = 5 or 6

Ryan Taylor
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

BHoover

« Reply #156 on: October 01, 2014, 08:15:14 PM »
My index is 2.7, so I'll probably blow through those strokes after two holes.

David Royer

« Reply #157 on: October 01, 2014, 08:15:30 PM »

Jason Thurman

« Reply #158 on: October 01, 2014, 08:19:58 PM »
Captain McKinley and I will be logging on tomorrow at 8 PM EST to live-post the matches for Saturday's fourball. This will be must-see GCA entertainment and I encourage everyone to follow along. Last call for any pairing preferences for East teamers - get them in by tomorrow evening so that I can incorporate them. On a related note, I will no doubt begin tweeting this fine event sometime tomorrow using the hashtag #Mashie2014.

Also, if anyone is getting to town early and is interested in meeting up for dinner/drinks Friday night, let me know. I'm open to suggestions for a location, as I know we have a few locals who will be around. My preference would probably be downtown or the Beachwood area, whatever is most convenient.

Hoover, you and Criss Titschinger should pair up. You'll enjoy each other's optimism.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

BHoover

« Reply #159 on: October 01, 2014, 08:25:05 PM »
For anyone not from NE Ohio, I strongly encourage you to make at least one trip to Swenson's. I'm not sure how close to Beachwood is the nearest location, but if you like classic drive-in burgers, you won't be disappointed.

The Winking Lizard is also a great NE Ohio sports bar/restaurant.

Others can chime in with suggestions. I'm not a Cleveland expert as I grew up in the Akron-Canton area, but there are lots of good suggestions. The Ohio City bar/food scene is very good if you're looking to go downtown.

Brian Finn

« Reply #160 on: October 01, 2014, 08:26:15 PM »
4.8 and in need of the most understanding partner the East can offer.

Definitely in for dinner and drinks Friday night.

Captain Thurman...Saturday uniform is all bright orange, correct?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 08:49:53 PM by Brian Finn »
New for 2023:  Cheraw SP, Grandfather, Clyne, Tenby, Pennard, Langland Bay, Southerndown, Pyle & Kenfig, Royal Porthcawl, Ashburnham, Rolls of Monmouth, Old Barnwell...

Jason Thurman

« Reply #161 on: October 01, 2014, 08:47:54 PM »
All bright orange, yes. My Granny is knitting us special sweaters with East team flags and a jagged likeness of the Mashie embroidered into them as well. The RealTree Outdoors pattern on the East team flag will obviously go great with blaze orange pants.

BHoover

« Reply #162 on: October 01, 2014, 09:10:24 PM »
All bright orange, yes. My Granny is knitting us special sweaters with East team flags and a jagged likeness of the Mashie embroidered into them as well. The RealTree Outdoors pattern on the East team flag will obviously go great with blaze orange pants.

Did you run this outfit past Golf Digest's Mr. Style???

BHoover

« Reply #163 on: October 01, 2014, 09:21:56 PM »
Seeing the rather weak commitment from the usual cast of characters for Team West, can we declare the winning team at this year's Mashie as "Team East," at least for purposes of posterity? That way, next year Team West will be reminded of their shame.

Brian Finn

« Reply #164 on: October 01, 2014, 09:28:30 PM »
Seeing the rather weak commitment from the usual cast of characters for Team West, can we declare the winning team at this year's Mashie as "Team East," at least for purposes of posterity? That way, next year Team West will be reminded of their shame.

Motion seconded!
New for 2023:  Cheraw SP, Grandfather, Clyne, Tenby, Pennard, Langland Bay, Southerndown, Pyle & Kenfig, Royal Porthcawl, Ashburnham, Rolls of Monmouth, Old Barnwell...

Michael Marzec

« Reply #165 on: October 01, 2014, 09:35:15 PM »
12.9, which should get me 15 strokes at Canterbury. And I will need every one.
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. And furthermore, always carry a small snake." - W.C. Fields

Michael Marzec

« Reply #166 on: October 01, 2014, 10:06:04 PM »
When I am not golfing, I am usually eating, so here are some other thoughts on food for those around Friday night.

If you are staying near the course and like a good steak, Red the Steakhouse is outstanding, though not cheap. Next door is Moxie, more eclectic, but every bit as good. Same owners.

If you head east on Chagrin Blvd you will hit Eton, a collection of upscale stores and a number of restaurants, including Paladar Latin Kitchen (excellent), B Spot (Iron Chef Mike Symon's burger & beer joint), Taza (great Middle Eastern), Mitchell's Fish Market (a solid seafood place) and chains like Fleming's and Bravo.

If any of the East Team want to tie one on, I would second Brian's choice of the Ohio City neighborhood. It is a bit of a haul (on the near West Side of Cleveland), but has a great mix of restaurants and bars, including Great Lakes Brewing Co. Other great options for food here include Crop, Flying Fig, Bar Cento and Black Pig. There are probably another dozen places up and down the street offering a variety of food and libations. If you are a cocktail drinker and not up to driving so far, try the Katz Club in Cleveland Heights. It is housed in an old railroad dining car, and they know how to mix a proper Sazerac.

Drink up, Shriners.

BHoover

« Reply #167 on: October 01, 2014, 10:10:00 PM »
Michael Symon's B Spot is supposed to be excellent for burgers and beer. One just opened here in Columbus, so I would definitely be interested in checking that place out. But I'm essentially a follower more than a leader, so I'll go with the crowd in terms of dinner/drinks.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #168 on: October 02, 2014, 12:35:55 AM »

Ouch. Thank you for so diligently representing the superior West team.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

BHoover

« Reply #169 on: October 02, 2014, 08:44:00 AM »

Ouch. Thank you for so diligently representing the superior West team.

My pleasure!  ;D

Erik Mosley

« Reply #170 on: October 02, 2014, 09:40:22 AM »
I'm a 6.4 right now - not sure where that leaves me at Canterbury.  Can't wait for tonight's must watch captains event!

As far as dinner is concerned, there have been some good suggestions (B-Spot, Paladar, and Moxie are my favorites over near Beachwood), but for first timers I'd definitely recommend Melt in Cleveland Heights.  It's not very far from either downtown or Beachwood, and the sandwiches are some of the best you'll ever have (technically they're grilled cheese sandwiches, but they're huge).  With a great beer list, the normal 30-45 minute wait for a table should go by in no time! 

If you happen to go to Ohio City, Crop Bistro is my favorite and is also the most impressive for out of towners. It's a little nicer, so if you're looking for much more casual, Town Hall, Bier Markt, and Market Garden are all pretty neat places with pretty decent food.  Great Lakes has really good food (and great beer of course), but you might find an hour or more wait there. 

Would love to join, but we unfortunately already have plans for Friday night.  See you all Saturday!

Russ Arbuthnot

« Reply #171 on: October 02, 2014, 09:58:21 AM »

Black    74.3   139   22   
Blue    72.0   133   21   
White 70.8   129   20

I'm driving in Saturday morning. Does anyone know roughly how much the tolls will be coming from Detroit?

Looking forward to the Captain's event tonight as well.

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #172 on: October 02, 2014, 10:22:34 AM »
20.2 from the revision.  ;D

If we play from the Blues, which I'm assuming, I get 24 strokes. I'll need every one of them.

The GHIN app on iOS makes it easy to calculate course handicaps based on a course and GHIN ID.

See you all there Saturday!

C. Sturges

« Reply #173 on: October 02, 2014, 10:31:16 AM »
Hello Jason,  My index is a 3.9.

Russ- the tolls from D-town are $5 or $6 mattering where you get off in Cleveland.

Thanks Captains' for your hard work,

chris

George Freeman

« Reply #174 on: October 02, 2014, 01:15:53 PM »
8.4 index.

I'm still unsure if I will be driving in Friday night or Saturday morning.  If I'm in town on Friday, I'll be sure to connect with the group.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back