News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Wetherington CC (A. Hills, 1992) in West Chester, Ohio
« on: January 14, 2015, 09:43:53 AM »
In the news lately as it's the club of the Speaker of the House, John Boehner.

http://www.wetheringtongcc.com/golf/hole-by-hole-tour-1936.html

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/hamilton-county/deer-park/michael-hoyt-john-boehner-plot-fbi-says-boehners-bartender-at-country-club-planned-to-poison-him

Has anyone played there? If so, discuss the merits or lack thereof of this Arthur Hills design.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Terry Lavin

Re: Wetherington CC (A. Hills, 1992) in West Chester, Ohio
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 10:00:28 AM »
Luckily, I had read the name of the club, otherwise I would have naturally assumed that it was being converted into a landfill or something!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mark McKeever

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 10:04:17 AM »
How was this clown not a member at Camargo, right down the road??

MM
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Terry Lavin

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 10:21:38 AM »

MM

Lifelong Democrat here, but the Speaker is a friend of a friend of mine.  I've met him, had a few beverages with him and he is a good man, a fan of the game and he loves Dismal and Sand Hills!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 01:07:36 PM »

MM

Lifelong Democrat here, but the Speaker is a friend of a friend of mine.  I've met him, had a few beverages with him and he is a good man, a fan of the game and he loves Dismal and Sand Hills!

would you mind finding out he keeps that glowing tan of his year round?  Boehner doesn't sound Italian.

JLahrman

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 01:46:15 PM »

MM

Not sure his $ is old enough.

JLahrman

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 01:49:31 PM »
Has anyone played there? If so, discuss the merits or lack thereof of this Arthur Hills design.

My brother used to work there and I've played it once, has to be about 20 years ago. It is one of those housing development-country club places they were opening back in the 1990s. I can't say I remember it too well, apart from a lot of homes bordering the holes. Of course, it could be worse...other Hills courses (Pipestone, for instance) I remember for all the wrong reasons.

Tom Allen

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 02:04:17 PM »
I've played it 15+ times.  A few interesting interesting holes, including a short par four that tempts you to go for it, and an interesting par four through a valley that requires a layup or a very stout, straight drive. Nothing spectacular, but I always enjoy it.  Lots of houses along the course as noted above. Water comes into play on a few holes.  Greens are quick, but without a lot of internal movement.  Pretty much what you expect from Hills. 

David Whitmer

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 02:28:24 PM »
I was the pro at a club that, as the crow flies, is about two miles away from Wetherington. I played there many times, and we were quite friendly with Wetherington's golf staff. As discussed, it is your basic residential golf community. The golf course is nothing special, in my opinion. Usually in good shape, but not particularly memorable.

Funny story from Wetherington: the pros told us that one day, a teenage girl starts working there as a beverage cart girl. After explaining the cart, what's on it, process to charge members, etc., they told her to start on the 18th green, and drive the course backwards. Well, she gets in the cart, puts it in reverse, and gets halfway down the 18th hole before she's stopped. She explained she was "driving the course backwards."

John Boehner's best friend was (and still is) a member where I worked. He brought Mr. Boehner around every now and then. Seemed like a nice guy.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 04:21:13 PM »

My brother used to work there and I've played it once, has to be about 20 years ago. It is one of those housing development-country club places they were opening back in the 1990s. I can't say I remember it too well, apart from a lot of homes bordering the holes. Of course, it could be worse...other Hills courses (Pipestone, for instance) I remember for all the wrong reasons.

It is an average, at best, golf course. Better than Pipestone, sure, but that isn't saying all that much.
Last 7:
Westbrook CC (OH), NCR CC South (OH), Fort Jackson Wildcat (SC), True Blue GC (SC), Pinewood CC (NC), Asheboro Muni (NC), Dye River Course (VA)

John McCarthy

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 01:02:36 PM »
Speaker Boener and VP Biden talk golf
What are Boehner & Biden talking about? Not jobs.…: http://youtu.be/nVVhDIuQK-M
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Matt Bielawa

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 01:12:00 PM »
Speaker Boener and VP Biden talk golf
What are Boehner & Biden talking about? Not jobs.…: http://youtu.be/nVVhDIuQK-M

Geez.  Pretty good playing for a guy who's a 9.4 on GHIN!  Sounds like the Speaker needs to post more scores.

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 10:49:12 PM »

MM

He lives on the 10th hole, and it's the 8th Congressional district- Camargo is a good 30-40 minutes away and in the 1st Congressional district.

The golf course is pretty average.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 11:03:11 PM »

MM

Didn't Boehner get caught on an open mike at the State of the Union a couple years ago talking about DR to Biden?
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back