News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BCowan

Re: Sylvania CC -Photo Tour- (Sylvania,OH) Willie Park Jr.
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2015, 10:57:54 PM »
Sylvania CC will be hosting the Ohio Am this upcoming year 16' on its Centennial year.  I played Sylvania recently and can't express enough how good the land and design is.  Willie Park Jr Classic.  Clinger would be proud...

Chris Harder

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2015, 10:33:05 AM »
Thanks Ben for reminding me how good the golf really is in the Toledo area! I miss my time up there. I remember the rounds we played together at Inverness and you always trying to hit the bridge to carry the water on #7! . Its been over 7 years since I have been back to Toledo, and I want to get back to play the Toledo Open. I work in Mississippi now, and about 5 courses in Toledo would be ranked in the top 3 here in Mississippi!

BCowan

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2015, 12:14:17 PM »
Harder,

Good to hear from you.  Nothing like a strategic bridge for a Lil help ;D.

Ran into Bix last fall, he is at Kirtland, small world.  If you ever are back in Toledo send me a PM.  I live in Ann Arbor now. The Andersons are building headquarters on 2-8 at Bradywine.  They are using excutive course for their new 18. 

BCowan

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2016, 04:20:51 PM »
Some nice changes to the 18th hole.  New bunker to the left of the green with trees removed.  A tree and bunker removed on the right side with short grass added.  Photo from Drew Rogers page. 

old (fuzzy)

new

Brian Finn

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2016, 04:56:40 PM »
Phenomenal stuff Drew Rogers is doing at Sylvania.  An absolute gem poised to really shine. 
New for 2023:  Cheraw SP, Grandfather, Clyne, Tenby, Pennard, Langland Bay, Southerndown, Pyle & Kenfig, Royal Porthcawl, Ashburnham, Rolls of Monmouth, Old Barnwell...

Terry Lavin

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2016, 08:48:50 PM »
Drew' got game, so to speak.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

MCirba

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2016, 06:51:49 AM »
Looks great.  Can't wait to see it in person.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2016, 09:40:35 AM »
I thought the course had good "bones" but needed some serious spit-shine and a few tweaks here and there.  Looks like those changes are underway!  Hope to get the chance to get back out there someday and see all that is new.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

MCirba

« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2016, 11:13:12 AM »
I had the great pleasure of playing Sylvania yesterday, courtesy of Ben and Matt and the Walking Golfer's Society.   What a treat where the terrific landforms are/were used expertly by Willie Park, Jr.

The course has had a few renovations over the years, including some by Sandy Alves in 1923 as well as those done later after the original clubhouse burned to the 1st and 2nd holes.  I think Joe Bausch will be delighted by how many of the other changes he was able to visually pick out during a first go-round.

In any case, here's the course as originally designed by Park in 1916 (opened after WWI in 1919) from a 1921 brochure.

Joe Bausch

« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 11:58:36 AM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

MCirba

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2016, 11:43:38 AM »
Terrific study in the effective use of existing landforms to craft a well routed course.

BCowan

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2016, 09:07:18 PM »
Joe Bausch and Jason Way thanks so much for the great photos.  I've been waiting to take down my poor ones for awhile.  Looking forward to one day if and when the renovation is fully complete.   

Jason Way

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2016, 10:58:24 PM »
Kyle Truax also took a bunch of photos of Sylvania and created this solid photo montage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KnsOMW92no

Not bad for a guy who must have been exhausted from carrying me the day before in our match.
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

noonan

« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2017, 12:28:27 AM »
I played here this week.
1. The green speeds were really fast and they were firm without being hard. Wonderful greens.
2. Land use was great. Loved the greens perched up high.
3. Rough was penal! The ball sat deep and the grass was lush.
4. What a fun course to play!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back