News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dean Stokes

Re: NCAA at Prairie Dunes
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2014, 09:10:30 PM »
Gents, perhaps it is because not very much amateur golf is televised but push carts have always been used in tournament golf, especially when I was young back in England 25/30 years ago.
I would use one depending on the course and the weather. It can be a longer walk  making your way round tees and greens and hills are no fun but if you are playing 36 and you need waterproofs, wooly hats and warm gloves etc. it can certainly be of benefit.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

William_G

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2014, 09:26:29 PM »
Great TV!

Love the place, the greens are just insane!

The weather is typical midwest unfortunately.
It's all about the golf!

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2014, 09:29:54 PM »
What a GREAT event. 

JC Urbina

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2014, 09:32:09 PM »
Positively one of the coolest golf courses on the planet.  Watching the approach shots into these greens really shows me and I hope these young kids the definition of strategic. Fall of fronts on the greens, inside rolls that you don't want to be on the wrong side and bunkers that are really  a challenge instead of a manicured beach.  

Enjoyable golf, hats off to the Golf Channel.

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2014, 09:32:16 PM »
Agreed. Best golf watch of the year.  PD looks great at sunset.
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Chris Cupit

« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2014, 09:38:22 PM »
What a fun day. Had Patrick (Stanford), Corey (Alabama)  and Wyndham (Ok St). Three great golfers and nice kids. Just a couple observations. All hit 9 irons into 4. Patrick had driver wedge on 7. Downwind. Par5. On hole 11, 535 Par 4 with a very slight breeze quartering and helping Patrick had 175-180 for second shot. On 18, playing downwind Corey hit 5 iron and gap wedge  

Have two matches tomorrow :)

Terry Lavin

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2014, 09:54:34 PM »
Loved the line from Illinois' coach Mike Small, that his kids were all PhD, meaning poor, hungry and determined.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

jeffwarne

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2014, 10:00:44 PM »
Gents, perhaps it is because not very much amateur golf is televised but push carts have always been used in tournament golf, especially when I was young back in England 25/30 years ago.

What's sad is that it's newsworthy that pushcarts are being used.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2014, 10:09:24 PM »
A guy that first came on to my radar screen in 2013 at Porter Cup was SMU's Bryson Dechambeau. I have respect for his game and his demeanor. If no one else has picked him as one to watch, let me be the first.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Ken Moum

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2014, 10:24:18 PM »
What a fun day. Had Patrick (Stanford), Corey (Alabama)  and Wyndham (Ok St). Three great golfers and nice kids. Just a couple observations. All hit 9 irons into 4. Patrick had driver wedge on 7. Downwind. Par5. On hole 11, 535 Par 4 with a very slight breeze quartering and helping Patrick had 175-180 for second shot. On 18, playing downwind Corey hit 5 iron and gap wedge  

I scored for Maverick McNealy, Tom Lovelady and Jason Niebrugge today, two.groups.in.fro t of Chris.

We've all spent too much time sitting in the clubhouse this week waiting for the weather to clear.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2014, 10:38:57 PM »
PD looked fantastic today.
Best golf of the year on TV.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2014, 10:58:58 PM »

What's sad is that it's newsworthy that pushcarts are being used.

There is a Florida Junior Tour event coming to Pensacola Country Club  in November.   I looked up the details on the web.  Notice in big red letters, "NO PUSH CARTS WILL BE ALLOWED, YOU MUST CARRY YOUR BAG."

That will be news to our members, who have about 100 carts stored in our bag room.   

Bill Vogeney

« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2014, 11:03:37 PM »
The course looked incredible. Can't believe how calm the weather has been. The course is not that easy with the normal Kansas winds. The greens are soft from the rain too.

Was just out there May 16-18 and the course was perfect. The rough (not the gunsch) was longer than I have ever seen.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2014, 11:41:07 PM »
What's wrong with pushcarts?  Easy to use, good for the back... 

What does this say about caddying -- especially carrying double? 

Sam Morrow

« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2014, 11:42:59 PM »
I can't remember if there were rules on push carts when I played in college, can't remember in AJGA either. I don't remember seeing any. My home course has a young girl who is a very good junior, she always uses a push cart.

William_G

« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2014, 11:44:29 PM »

Thank you Chris for the updates!

It is really crazy how far they hit it.  :o

Patrick Rodgers can really whip that club as he is so tall, flexible, and thin. No way he could heft a bag around for as many rounds as they play.

The leaders are the most accurate, of course.
It's all about the golf!

Chris Cupit

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2014, 12:00:17 AM »
i have Maverick McNealy (Stanford) vs. Brian Campbell (Illinois) at 8:10 off #1.  Afternoon is Alabama/SMU winner versus LSU/UCLA winner.  I'll try to post updates but I do have to pay attention :)

Great crowds too--lots of kids.  I had two terrific kids carrying the scoreboard today--Steven and Molly--both junior golfers and in 8-10 years maybe college players too!

Chris Cupit

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2014, 12:02:42 AM »
Based on practice round tee markers look for hole 12 and/or hole 14 to be moved up to a drivable distance.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2014, 12:47:28 AM »
I watched a bunch today. I thought the golf course looked fantastic.

I will admit, I was also surprised to see the Stanford push carts. I don't have a problem with it in the least, just didn't expect to see it.

I talked with Stanford coach Conrad Ray a couple of times when I was still a newspaper hack. He is from Minnesota and was still kind of trying to play.

mike_beene

« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2014, 01:36:02 AM »
Push carts are far and away my favorite way to play. For me it makes a huge difference on how my knees feel after a round. They are becoming very popular in Dallas.  I was surprised to see them in the NCAA but I bet in a few years they will be a common site. Were the Stanford guys using their own push carts or some that belong to the club?

Tim Leahy

« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2014, 02:59:33 AM »
What is the chance they play this event at Cypress Pt or Spyglass in the future? Would love to see this kind of tv coverage on either of those courses.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2014, 05:44:12 AM »
I remember Billy Mayfair and his push cart back in 1985-ish at the NCAA championship. It did stand out but made total sense. The game is a devastating wallop to the back.

As far as outlawing them, the anal-retentive are at it again! On what basis could you outlaw a push cart? The same one that allows you to limit number of practice swings, looks at a putt, and on and on? A push cart serves one purpose: to limit strain on the back born of carrying a heavy sack on the shoulders. A double-strap certainly balances the load, but in no way decreases it.

If you have a burr in your saddle about a push-cart, you certainly are too young (or too spiritually constipated) to be legally allowed to have an opinion on anything.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2014, 08:08:01 AM »
So  everybody raving about Prairie Dunes doesn't object to narrowed fairways ?

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2014, 08:09:48 AM »
i have Maverick McNealy (Stanford) vs. Brian Campbell (Illinois) at 8:10 off #1.  Afternoon is Alabama/SMU winner versus LSU/UCLA winner.  I'll try to post updates but I do have to pay attention :)

Great crowds too--lots of kids.  I had two terrific kids carrying the scoreboard today--Steven and Molly--both junior golfers and in 8-10 years maybe college players too!

Should be fun watching Brian coming off his amazing 63 yesterday that pulled his team into matchplay.

Push carts aren't a story (nothing new) - although using them at PDCC is noteworthy.  Carrying is much easier out there with the hills and stairway climbs to tee boxes.  There is quite a bit of extra walking required to use a cart.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2014, 08:12:02 AM »
So  everybody raving about Prairie Dunes doesn't object to narrowed fairways ?

They've been consistent for a long time (and are unchanged for this event).  The fairways are really wide out there.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back