News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Colin Sheehan

Hundred Hole Hike, Saucon Valley Monday, June 16
« on: May 27, 2014, 10:52:16 AM »
Dear GCA Members & Lurkers,

The Outpost Club is organizing another Hundred Hole Hike, this year on two of Saucon Valley's excellent courses: the Grace and Weyhill. We currently have 20 participants signed up (in the form of ten teams of two playing alternate shot) and capacity for another six, two-person teams.

Here's the invite below. If you, or you and a partner, are interested in joining us, please send me a private message and I will forward additional info. We can pair together individuals if needed. And here's a quick interview with Ed Tancer immediately following last year's hike at Stonewall Old where he raised $35,000 last year for Bella's Angels.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfyvi0CpAjA&feature=youtu.be

Thank you,
Colin

The Outpost Club invites you to the second annual Hundred Hole Hike Tournament, Monday June 16th, at Saucon Valley C.C. (Grace & Weyhill), in Bethlehem, PA (an hour north of Philadelphia).

In 2013, 22 OC members and guests competed in the largest Hundred Hole Hike to date. The participants began the day at 5:25am and played for about 14 hours, raising over $180,000 for various worthwhile charities. Our goal for 2014 is to exceed both the number of participants and funds raised for the charities of your choice.

We are once again teaming up with the One Divot Foundation and Hundred Hole Hike (HHH), a national network of golf marathons where participants walk and play 100 or more holes of golf in one day in order to raise money for various worthwhile charitable causes.

The Hundred Hole Hike organization, built on the success of the Ben Cox 155, an event launched by Jim Colton in 2011 at Ballyneal in Colorado. Colton, a Ballyneal member from Chicago, walked 155 holes in one day and raised over $110,000 for Ben Cox, a Ballyneal caddie who was paralyzed in a skiing accident in March 2011. In 2012, the event grew to include 65 golfers from around the globe who walked a total of 6,852 holes and raised nearly $300,000 for 40 worthwhile causes. 2013 saw even more hikers, eighty-five, and more money raised with over $600,000. Four OC'ers made the top 10 in fundraising. Jim's goal for 2014 is to raise over $1,000,000.

For the Hundred Hole Hike Tournament, each two-man team will choose a charity (any charity big or small!) and then reach out to their network of friends and family to collect pledges. These pledges can be a lump sum or per-hole donation. Players must walk a minimum of 54-holes but everyone is encouraged to walk 100 or more in order to raise as much money as possible for their charity. Personally, Colin and I are aiming to match, if not exceed, last year's 111 hole total (three rounds on each course plus another three hole loop). We challenge you to keep up.

The format of this event will be unique and also reflects the society's love for alternate shot. Starting as early as possible on Monday morning, two-person teams will play alternate shot as they make as many trips around the Grace course as possible. Around noon, the participants will move over to the Weyhill course for the duration of the day. The team's best score on each hole of the Grace course and their best score on each hole on Weyhill will be used to determine the teams final tally. The Outpost Club will be making a donation to the Net and Gross Division winners' charities of choice.

We are still formalizing the details, but the very low cost (less the $375) will cover both day-of items like golf, breakfast, lunch, steak dinner, sports drinks and energy bars, as well as other items like a shirt and a dozen golf balls with the Hundred Hole Hike logo. In addition, it allows participants the ability to purchase other HHH gear like flags and Kentwool socks at cost. The event cost will also allow participants to use the very convenient pledging tools on the Hundred Hole Hike website to help gather pledges. We will also have an optional pasta dinner available

Cheers!

Will Smith
Co-Founder
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 11:13:07 PM by Colin Sheehan »

Colin Sheehan

Re: Hundred Hole Hike, Saucon Valley Monday, June 16
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 11:17:45 PM »
Just curious if anyone had more information regarding the Eden Hole on Saucon's Grace Course. I've played it once but I remember it being unmistakable when I saw it--along with it's name listed on the scorecard--and I later heard that William Gordon and son David had personally built that hole to the specs of the original in St. Andrews. Anyone know if that's true?
Thanks,
Colin
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 11:35:41 PM by Colin Sheehan »

Bill Brightly

Re: Hundred Hole Hike, Saucon Valley Monday, June 16
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 03:14:19 AM »
It is true. William Gordon hired a surveyor in Scotland to send him the exact specifications of the Eden at TOC. So at Saucon, you can find the Hill, Shelley and Strath bunkers, as well as a severely sloping back-to-front green. Perhaps the biggest difference is that there is no water behind, which is somewhat odd because the Saucon Creek winds throughout the property. The Gordons had plenty of opportunity to build a green in front of the creek.

I once emailed David Gordon to ask why. He said "Dad did not like hazards behind greens. He felt that going long was penalty enough."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back