News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Johnson

SW Michigan recs
« on: September 12, 2015, 01:23:40 PM »
Question for yall

Going to be staying in SW Michigan along Lake Michigan for a few days in a couple weeks for a family reunion

I have already pulled some strings to get access to Dunes Club, but wanted to know if there are any other places in the area worth  playing.   Staying along the lake in new buffalo but would be willing to drive up to 45 minutes for the right course.    I know harbor shores is reletively short but I have heard very mixed commentary everything from outstanding to a disaster.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 05:01:03 PM by Mark Johnson »

Neil Johnston

Re: SW Michigan recs
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 05:10:03 PM »
Probably right at 45 minutes away, but I loved the Warren course at Notre Dame. Tremendous value too, at $50 to walk for non-Domers.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 05:13:30 PM »
Lost Dunes and Point O'Woods are quite different but each is quite good.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Anthony Gholz

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 05:17:13 PM »
just played the Bendelow/Ross Muskegon CC last week.  Private, but at this time of year worth a call.

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 05:27:00 PM »
Battle Creek Country Club is a hidden gem in my opinion - a classic Willie Park, Jr. that is worth a visit...

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 07:19:16 PM »
I stayed in New Buffalo last year and played several of the courses mentioned above.

I thought Dunes Club, Lost Dunes and Warren Course were excellent. Battle Creek really is a gem with great greens and a throwback feel.

I liked Point O Woods less than these three, and be forewarned - the unaccompanied fee (at least when I was there) was quite high. Didn't love Harbor Shores, but it's got a handful of nice holes and it's quite pretty in spots.

If I only had time for one round, I'd pick Dunes Club - it's a really special experience. If I had time for a second, it would be a close call between Lost Dunes and Warren (and I'd lean toward Lost Dunes, which is also a little closer).

One other thing - if you've never been to this area before, spend at least half a day exploring the coastline. In my opinion, the dunes along the eastern coast of Lake Michigan are one of the most underrated natural wonders in this country.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 07:23:24 PM by Jon Cavalier »
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Brad Tufts

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 10:01:04 PM »
Harbor Shores is definitely worth a try.

I have a thing for polarizing courses....it's certainly far from terrible...but the purist will probably hate it.

Not before most of those mentioned here, but always fun to be able to discuss a course some people love and some hate.  Play it and tell us how awesome or terrible the dune holes are!
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Mark Johnson

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 07:13:06 AM »
Thanks for sharing guys.   I'll see if I can get my pro to get us on Lost Dunes.    Also, looks like we will play a round at Lake Michigan Hills (this will be a scramble type event with 40% non- regular golfers).

Out of curiosity, do the privates in this area get much/any play during the week?   I assume the majority of the members are chicagoans who weekend out in SW michigan.

Jason Way

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 04:14:07 PM »
It might be a little bit more than 45 mins to get to from where you're staying, but I highly recommend Mike DeVries's Diamond Springs just outside of Holland if you don't have access to any of the aforementioned privates. 

Harbor Shores is a neat facility, and the course has a handful of nice holes.  I have trouble getting past the fact that routing makes the course unwalkable though.  It is at the extreme end of "cartbally".

If you have access, Lost Dunes is the way to go.
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

John McCarthy

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2015, 07:29:09 PM »
Mark, I asked the same question a few years ago...now I play the Warren Course as much as I can, at least annually.  Not a great piece of land, but C n C got everything out of every nook and cranny. 
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Paul Stockert

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 07:11:04 PM »
If you're offended by having to take a golf cart, skip Harbor Shores.  But this fall they should redo their temperature pricing (green fee based on the high that day) and my brother and I really like the place.  I admit it took a couple rounds but I think it's really fun to play, the conditioning will be great, and when you consider that it used to be toxic waste, 3M square feet of abandoned factory space, and a general crud hole...it's a neat transformation.

However you've got some phenomenal options if you can get on P 'o Woods, or the others too.  Neil makes a great recommendation for the Warren Course.  If you like a classic walkable course it's great, although others think it's a little bit of 400+ par 4 after 400+ par 4.   

Lake Michigan Hills can be fun, but conditioning wise won't be in the same world as the others mentioned.

Please note though, that if you make it out to Pebblewood which is very near New Buffalo, you MUST wear a shirt.   This can apparently throw off some first timers and required a sign.  (photo props to my brother Will's fiance Nicky).  I wanted to make sure you're prepared.  Others will have to let you know if this is the case at the Dunes, because I haven't made it out there yet...probably?

- PJ

« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 07:24:35 PM by Paul Stockert »
~ PJ

“Golf... is the infallible test. The man who can go into a patch of rough alone, with the knowledge that only God is watching him, and play his ball where it lies, is the man who will serve you faithfully and well.”
― P.G. Wodehouse

Matt Glore

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2015, 09:58:04 AM »
I played there a few weeks back.

Harbor Shores was in FANTASTIC shape.  I know they are going to shut down for green punch, so call ahead.
Played Lake Michigan Hills $41 hard to top for the price.  Good shape, but its not in the same class as the others mentioned. 

Dunes Club and Harbor Shores would be very nice.

JJShanley

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2015, 10:59:06 AM »
I played 36 holes at Angel's Crossing, just south of Kalamazoo, yesterday.  You'd struggle to walk it given the distances between some holes, but it's a cracking track.  I like it as much as I do Warren at Notre Dame.

It may be too far west for you on this occasion.

Mike Schott

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2015, 04:17:44 PM »
HawksHead in South Haven is a fine course. It's Art Hills but better than most of his work. Nice bunkering and walkable. Some of the courses mentioned here are considerably more than 45 minutes from New Buffalo by the way. Battle Creek is 100 miles away.

JC Jones

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2015, 04:24:16 PM »
just played the Bendelow/Ross Muskegon CC last week.  Private, but at this time of year worth a call.

its 120 miles away. He'd be better off driving 60 miles and playing Olympia Fields & Flossmoor.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jud_T

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2015, 04:30:43 PM »
Avoid Whittaker Woods.   Dunes, Lost Dunes and the Warren Course would make for a very nice trip.  Shouldn't be too much of a problem getting reciprocal access during the week in the fall.  Also stop in at Greenbush Brewing in Sawyer for dinner and drinks and Louisa's in Harbert for Breakfast (and the attached Swedish Bakery).
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back