News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Wiggett

Re: In praise of the wee nine hole course: Durness & Bonar Bridge
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2014, 09:01:55 AM »
James,

Excellent to see this Bonar Bridge tour. One again a small Clubhouse. All that's needed really. I believe some photos of Bonar Bridge were posted a few months ago. It does look nice.

atb

PS:

I've heard the 9-hole course Fort Augustus is pretty nice as well.

Portmahomack too. Looked interesting when I last passed-by. No time to play it regrettably.

Thomas,

Portmahomack is a cracking 9 holer and worth playing. Fort Augustus is also a fine way to while away a sunny afternoon. There is also a Braid course (18 Holer) just outside Fort William which gets no mentions on hear but is worth a visit.

Jon

James Boon

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2014, 04:58:07 PM »
After my early morning start at Bonar Bridge I headed south to Brahan Golf Club, the work of Jon Wiggett and his wife Claudia. Brahan has been open for 3 years now, though it currently closes over the winter months, and is set over undulating former crofting land. Jon has crafted a very interesting 9 hole routing through this landscape, where a selection of tees and slightly larger greens allow for the course to be played as 18 holes, when 2 flags are used per green in the summer. On the day I played the course hadn't actually opened yet for the summer so there was only one flag per hole and much of the rough still needed a good cut to take it down to semi rough length. The fairways are quite narrow in places but Jon maintains the course quite wide open with plenty of semi rough.

The first is a short par 4 that doglegs to the left. This is the pitch to the green which runs away from you and has a hump in its middle. A feature which on a manufactured course with fast greens would be just crazy, but as Jon has pretty much just mown as found and top dressed where needed to create these greens, a feature which is enormous fun!

The second heads back to clubhouse and is a medium par 4. The approach is played over a burn to a green sitting just past a small ridge.

Whilst most of the fairways and greens have been cut as found, very much in the style of Askernish on the Outer Hebrides, the bunkers and mounds which surround the greens are very much man made, but they are kept rough enough so that they still play as a hazard while nature trys its best to reclaim them so that they are already blending in very well with their surroundings. Here is the hollow and bunker over the back left as seen from the next tee.

The third is a medium par 3, played to a green with a large front left and a narrow but steeply sloped back right area where the flag was on this day. this back right are is also protected by a deep pot bunker and humps and hollows short right, but a ridge along the back left encourages a low left to right running approach.

A closer look at the green

The fourth can play as a medium par 4 or a short par 5 depending on the tee. Here is the view from the forward tee, where your drive should hopefully get over the rise to set up a view of the green.

The approach favours a shot running in from the short left, avoiding a bunker some 30 yards short right of the green. The back drop to the approach is a view through the trees to the next two holes, and though this photo perhaps doesn't do it justice with the overcast weather and still slightly dormant look of much of the grass, is possibly a contender for the "My favourite vista" thread?

This view looking back at the green shows a piece of land found thanks to the inspiration of the 16th at North Berwick!

The fifth is a long par 3 but Jon sets it up as a short par 4 due to its challenge. There is also a shorter tee which makes it a medium par 3 without such a tight angle. The green is very narrow and set tight to a burn that follows the boundary line down the left. There is plenty of room to bail out right but this leaves a tricky pitch between or over a number of grassy hollows.

A closer look at the green shows it also slopes from left to right and just how much the grassy hollows protrudes into the putting surface!

And the view looking back towards the tee.

The sixth is an uphill medium par 5, the fairway for which has been seen in the distance on the previous two holes. Once the slight hill is climbed it leaves a pitch to another green full of interesting undulations, that isn't far from the boundary.

The seventh is another mixed par hole. From the back tee its a short par 5 or from a more forward tee off to the left in the trees, its a long par 4.

Played across the higher ground of the property the lay up or approach is to a green with a slight skyline feel, which actually sits just over the far side of the skyline and is running away from you.

The eighth is a long par 3 with a large green which looks much smaller that it is away in the distance, cleverly disguised by the number of tiers stepping down the hillside.

The flag is on the top tier, seen here from closer in, with room to run an approach in from the right.

The ninth or last, is a long par 5, which played a real brute into the wind when I was there. Once the drive is away, the second has to play across a dip in the fairway, skirting a small woodland, but the eventual approach is to one of the larger greens on the course, though this is protected by a burn short and a steep back to front slope.

The golf at Brahan is a fantastic experience! Golfers with and ego, wanting perfect conditions and a chance to beat their handicap should possibly stay away, however those with a sense of adventure shouldnt miss a great (not so) wee nine hole course like Brahan! I cant wait to get back in the height of summer, when the full experience of 2 flags per green and perhaps some slightly more favourable conditioning, are to be had!

I've now had the pleasure of playing 2 courses with their designers, who in both cases was also involved in the construction and again in both case didn't have extravagant budgets but had to use either old fashioned or creative ways of developing the course and making it a challenge (I suppose 3 if you include wandering around Askernish with its chairman). To experience first hand this passion for the game is a real honour and leaves me feeling that this low budget, architecturally interesting  golf is the way forwards for the future?

Cheers,

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

AKikuchi

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2014, 06:10:05 PM »
James, thanks for sharing. That looks like quite the day for golf at Durness. I was curious about those fences that only surround the green complex (presumably to keep out sheep?). Are the fences moveable? How do they play from a rules perspective?

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2014, 06:44:27 PM »
Awesome thread.  Thanks James and well done Jon!
I look forward to visiting these courses. 

@Pure_Golf

Jon Wiggett

Thanks for posting the tour James. I enjoyed showing you our course which has shaped up pretty well in the weeks after your visit. Glad you enjoyed your game and hope to see you back in the summer.

Jon

Thomas Dai

James,

Well done. This is a most interesting thread. I like your comment "leaves me feeling that this low budget, architecturally interesting golf is the way forwards for the future?" More than just food for thought.

Jon,

Very nice to see some photos of your course. I like the small, humpy-bumpy greens with the run-offs into places you really, really don't want to go.

You mentioned earlier a James Braid course near Fort William. Which course do you mean as FWGC's website says 'established 1976'.

atb

Ulrich Mayring

Isn't that kind of like saying: "Low-budget, simple jewellery is the way forward for the diamond business?"

If the raw material (i. e. land) is already extremely expensive in 95% of the world, then how can a low-budget operation ever pull in the required revenue? Of course, in those 5% rural and remote places, where land may still be available at reasonable cost, this is clearly the way to go.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Rich Goodale

Glad you prefaced with "If...", Ulrich, because land is dirt cheap in 95% of the world.  Yes, in the 5% of the world that has 95% of the wealth (i.e. mitteleuropa (the London/Barcelona/Stockholm/London triangle), coastal and central america and china, japan, kleptoarabia and a few other places) land is dear, but there are so many places elsewhere (e.g. Brahan/Dingwall, Askernish, Bandon, Sand Hills, etc.) where interesting golf can be created, nurtured and enjoyed.  IMHO.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Ulrich Mayring

I was talking about the golfing world, not the world at large. When we are talking about "the way forward for golf" we surely must mean those places where golfers are.

Ulrich

Jon Wiggett

I was talking about the golfing world, not the world at large. When we are talking about "the way forward for golf" we surely must mean those places where golfers are.

Ulrich

So are you saying there are no golfers in these areas? What are you basing your 'golfing world' on Ulrich? Even in Germany rural does not mean remote so why say it!

Ulrich Mayring

I have said that perhaps 5% of all golfers are in those areas with cheap land. But if we are talking about "the way forward for golf" I would assume we are talking about the 95%. And for them low budget courses won't work because of land costs.

Ulrich

Jon Wiggett

Ulrich,

you didn't say '5% of golfers' but '5% of the world' . I think it depends a lot on the country but there are many cities which have cheap land fairly close by and of course you ignore totally the possibility of land being leased rather than bought. Also land only becomes really expensive here in the UK if it has planning permission for buildings. Distance to population centers are less important than quality of land and as the best land for golf courses tends to be the low grade agricultural land it is the cheapest of the lot.

Though your point of view has merit for some places it is not the case for everywhere.

Jon

Ulrich Mayring

Jon,

I said 5% of the golfing world :)

Anyway, we all have our own experiences. That's the value of a discussion board that opinions from many parts of the world come together and readers can decide what to make of them. What would, in your opinion, be a sustainable leasing rate for farming land to operate a low budget golf course on? I would guess in the low five figures per year.

Remember, that cost is in addition to the costs for building, operating and disassembling the course (when the leasing term expires and the land owner wants his levelled farmland back).

Ulrich
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 12:46:10 PM by Ulrich Mayring »

Jon Wiggett

Jon,

I said 5% of the golfing world :)

Oh really :o

Isn't that kind of like saying: "Low-budget, simple jewellery is the way forward for the diamond business?"

If the raw material (i. e. land) is already extremely expensive in 95% of the world, then how can a low-budget operation ever pull in the required revenue? Of course, in those 5% rural and remote places, where land may still be available at reasonable cost, this is clearly the way to go.

Ulrich

No 'golfing' in your post Ulrich!  ;)

Cost of leasing would be between £700-£1500 per hectare depending on single farm payments. No need for levelling costs as very low less than £1000 though on a 99 year lease irrelevant. Portocabin clubhouse or even a local pub/hotel/other sports club facility.Operating costs of say £50-75K should cover it.

Jon

Ulrich Mayring

Jon,

check reply 34 :)

Anyhow, if we agree on "low five figure sum per year", then everyone can check the going rates for himself in his area. You won't get anywhere with that kind of money in Germany and I would be surprised if there are many places with a relevant number of golfers, where you do.

Ulrich
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 03:14:38 PM by Ulrich Mayring »

Jon Wiggett

believe it or not Ulrich, golf is played in the world outside of Germany and Germany is not typical of that world.

Jon

Jim Eder

James,

Thank you very much for this terrific tour of these three courses. I have wanted to play Brahan for a while now and your pics tell me that I must play there. I always loved the idea of Brahan but now, after seeing the course from your tour, I sure think I will love the reality of the course. I also have wanted to play Durness but have been a bit lazy I suppose. On the next trip over I am going to make sure I take some time to experience it, it looks wonderful. I have played Bonar Bridge before and I appreciate your excellent photography. Overall, thank you very much for such fantastic photo tours.

Ulrich Mayring

Jon,

believe it or not, but I'd love to be wrong. I started playing golf on a low budget course with quite interesting architecture. Better course than Durness IMHO, although less scenic. They have a par 4 of 220 yards that nobody ever drove and most struggled to get on in two. The only reason why I left that club was that it took me 90 minutes to get there, which was precisely the reason why it was so cheap. If there's going to be a new wave of low budget courses in the future, I'm all for it.

Ulrich

Jon Wiggett

Jon,

believe it or not, but I'd love to be wrong.

Then you will be glad to hear that you are in fact wrong ;)

Jon

Jon Wiggett

James,

Well done. This is a most interesting thread. I like your comment "leaves me feeling that this low budget, architecturally interesting golf is the way forwards for the future?" More than just food for thought.

Jon,

Very nice to see some photos of your course. I like the small, humpy-bumpy greens with the run-offs into places you really, really don't want to go.

You mentioned earlier a James Braid course near Fort William. Which course do you mean as FWGC's website says 'established 1976'.

atb

Thomas,

I had to rack my brains about this but finally worked out it was Oban not Fort William. If you have not played it, it is worth giving it a go.

Jon

Thomas Dai

I had to rack my brains about this but finally worked out it was Oban not Fort William. If you have not played it, it is worth giving it a go.
Jon

Jon,

Thanks for the tip.

Oban-Glencruitten does looks pretty quirky and spectatular. Kinda "There's a routing out there somewhere" said Mr Braid. "and I'm going to find it"!

http://www.obangolf.com/

Some splendid photos - taken in the sun too - somewhat unusual for that part of the west coast as I recall!

atb

Ulrich Mayring

Wow, Glencruitten looks like a must-play. Makes Perranporth look tame. James Braid is one of the most underrated architects.

Ulrich

David_Tepper

Thomas Dai

Wow, Glencruitten looks like a must-play. Makes Perranporth look tame. James Braid is one of the most underrated architects.
Ulrich

There are courses akin to this all over GB, especially in rural areas, not all by Braid, some by others, and mostly from the period before 1930. Some 18-hole, some only 9-hole.

To give just two examples, courses like Llandrindod Wells in Mid-Wales and Windermere in the Lake District. The more rural areas of the country where folk still wanted to play golf but conventionally better golf land either wasn't available or folk didn't have the money to spend on a course that folks living near to urban areas did.

atb

Adam Lawrence

Traigh is the one I really want to play. I've seen it from either the train or the road, can't remember which, but wasn't able to stop, and it looks spectacular.

The Isle of Harris GC at Scarista is also very much worth a visit if you happen to be in the Western Isles. Beautiful spot.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back