News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Strulowitz

Chattahooche Golf Club (Gainesville, Georgia)
« on: April 29, 2014, 04:15:21 PM »
This is a wonderful public facility,  owned by the city of Gainesville, Ga if I am not mistaken.  Without reservation, I will say that this is the best muni I have ever played.  It is a RTJ design, to what extent the original design and routing still exists, I am unsure.  

This is a rolling, tree lined layout with very wide forgiving fairways.  There are a lot of interesting angles from the driving area , on some of the holes you really have to put the ball in the right place or you can get some really bad rollout.  The course is well bunkered,  and they are superbly placed.  There are no bunkers out there just for the sake of it, which is a fault of modern golf design, you really have to hit a bad shot, and even then they are not all that penal.  While this course is right off Lake Lanier, there are no water holes or forced carries.  It is just fun golf, a lot of real sporty holes, and the type of place where a newbie or high handicapper could navigate easily and have a lot of fun.

Low tech guy here, wish I could supply some pics.  Anyone in the Atlanta area would be well served to make a tee time here, you will be pleasantly surprised.  I had a blast playing here, and if anyone wants to get together sometime, and maybe take a few pictures for GCA, would love to do it.

Jaeger Kovich

Re: Chattahooche Golf Club (Gainesville, Georgia)
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 09:55:43 PM »
Someone in RTJ's office must have made a mistake with the scale while drawing those plans. Wide, angles, not penal, RTJ... doesn't add up! Some intern must have been fired for not following the rules of golf course design!

A.G._Crockett

Re: Chattahooche Golf Club (Gainesville, Georgia)
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 09:58:49 PM »
The course was reworked several years ago by the CourseCrafters firm.  It wasn't the most penal of RTJ designs to begin with, and is by most accounts a better golf course now than then.  It has been sort a hidden gem muni for a long, long time.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back