News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

Re: "How COUNTRY LIFE Changed the Face of Golf"
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2014, 06:19:03 AM »
Sean
Ironically I suspect that WW1 had more of a beneficial impact on his career than the comp in so much as when the war ended there was a need to rebuild a number of courses and then later with the economy tanking there was various courses that got built through government grants as a means of employing labour.

MacKenzie was well placed to take advantage of that work based on what he had done prior to WW1 and that would include articles/mentions in the press such as the CL comp. The publication of his book after the war wouldn’t have done any harm either and we know he used that quite liberally as a marketing tool.

But as I said before, he was swimming in a much smaller pool back then.

Niall

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2014, 06:40:51 AM »
David those captions in Spirit of St Andrews are almost certainly written by Ray Haddock and not Mac who wrote the manuscript. Haddock made it into a book and chose the illustrations. So I'd take that caption with a grain of salt.

DMoriarty

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2014, 01:44:20 PM »
David those captions in Spirit of St Andrews are almost certainly written by Ray Haddock and not Mac who wrote the manuscript. Haddock made it into a book and chose the illustrations. So I'd take that caption with a grain of salt.

Normally I'd agree with you, but unlike the other captions in the book this one is not only in first person, it is in quotations.  Haddock (or whoever put the book together) is making it very clear that this is in MacKenzie's voice.   So I think that we have to take it as MacKenzie's statement, at least to the same extent as anything else in the book.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back