News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Bennett

Re: 17th hole at Royal Adelaide GC
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2014, 07:18:49 PM »
Tyler Kearns

If I recall correctly, you visited Adelaide in about 2005 or so.  I recall Ed Getka and David Kelly visiting a year or two later.  At that time, the greens were in a state of change for several reasons.

Most were being/been rebuilt for the 2008 Eisenhower Trophy (all were rebuilt except 15 and 18)
The water souce (underground water) was quite salty, perhaps over 1000 parts. Seaton gets perhaps 14 inches of rain a year, so irrigation with high salt was necessary.  The greens were not able to be presented at the level which they can be for tournaments and major events.

The RA greens are subtle, but they could not have more significant slopes than they have when major events are on, as they always play very firm and fast when the weather allows.

Since that time, a ground water recovery scheme has been implemented, which recovers 200 ML of water from the surrounding area, cleanses it and then places that in the local aquifer.  The club withdraws 200 ML of water during the year, now at half the salinity of previous years, with a corresponding improvement in turf quality, bit it surrounds, fairways or greens.

As a result, the greens are nearly always presented in a firm and fast manner, revealing the subtleties within.  I say nearly always, as I played on Good Friday with uncut greens and a heavy morning shower.  The greens were docile, slower, flatter and less interesting that day.  I played the very next day and the greens were back to their regular level of presentation.

If you see the comments from Mark Saltzman above, he played on a normal Saturday in the middle of summer - a period where 5 years ago the greens may have been 'less interesting' for regular play.  The water quality improvement is a most significant achievement for the club, enabling the regular presentation of the course in near championship condition.

I look forward to hearing other comments from those who have played the course in the last 2 years.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back