News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Brightly

Re: 2020 Masters
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2020, 02:31:49 PM »
I'm sorry but the view from behind the 18th tee may be the ugliest look in tournament golf.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2020, 02:38:23 PM »
Is that a Fairtee homage to George C. Thomas at the 8th?  Also the 10th?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 03:09:17 PM by Michael H »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2020, 04:30:58 PM »
I have never seen DJ so emotional as he was at the interview after he won. He could barely speak. Easy to see what this win means for him.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Rob Marshall

« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2020, 07:32:36 PM »
I have never seen DJ so emotional as he was at the interview after he won. He could barely speak. Easy to see what this win means for him.

He played great. A very deserving champion. Really a complete player. I loved the emotion. I’d like to see him win a bunch more.

For someone who has never been there in person. The course really looked great without patrons and I loved the drone shots.

Bryson, talking about a dizzy spell like it was a swing problem. Said something about having to work it out. Was bizarre.

If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Thomas Dai

« Reply #79 on: November 16, 2020, 06:36:53 AM »
We might not get to see the Masters without spectators again and thus might not see on TV some of the angles, terrain and feature views we've seen these past few days.
So for the sake of posterity here are some from the Final Days play.
atb

(apologies to those who may also have seen the above photos on twitter)

Later edit - this photo of the 12th green was posted on Twitter by Ian Andrew. Hope he doesn't mind me posting it here for posterity.
[/size]

« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 12:36:41 PM by Thomas Dai »

Mike Bodo

« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2020, 07:50:09 AM »
Thanks for posting those pic's! Great angles of a number of greens and what the players had to contend with for their chip, pitch and sand shots. The image of Tiger in the bunker on 12 is classic! It hurt me watching him try and get a stance in it to play his sixth and and 8th shots knowing he was struggling with back pain already. The awkward stance he had could not have helped matters. Good images to look back and reflect on in years to come, as there may never be a Masters sans the stands and spectators ever again. At least not in my lifetime.
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

jeffwarne

« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2020, 08:24:54 AM »
Thanks for posting those pic's! Great angles of a number of greens and what the players had to contend with for their chip, pitch and sand shots. The image of Tiger in the bunker on 12 is classic! It hurt me watching him try and get a stance in it to play his sixth and and 8th shots knowing he was struggling with back pain already. The awkward stance he had could not have helped matters. Good images to look back and reflect on in years to come, as there may never be a Masters sans the stands and spectators ever again. At least not in my lifetime.

great stuff.
Given the decisions have to be made well out...It is hard to see full on spectators in less than 5 months, but I'm hoping to be wrong about that.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Thomas Dai

« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2020, 05:10:56 AM »

Sean_A

« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2020, 06:38:44 AM »
I'm sorry but the view from behind the 18th tee may be the ugliest look in tournament golf.

The entire course except the greens looks ugly.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tim Martin

« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2020, 06:57:02 AM »

Ciao

Sean-Have you attended the tournament?

Sean_A

« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2020, 07:08:55 AM »

Ciao

Yes.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tim Martin

« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2020, 07:14:14 AM »

Ciao

Yes.

Ciao

Did you feel the same(ugly besides greens) when you were on site or is that just as a TV viewer? Only asking as I’m interested in your viewpoint. Thanks.

Sean_A

« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2020, 07:33:42 AM »

Ciao

Yes.

Ciao

Did you feel the same(ugly besides greens) when you were on site or is that just as a TV viewer? Only asking as I’m interested in your viewpoint. Thanks.

Yes, once over the wow factor, I did think the course looked far too much like a garden rather than a golf course. Its the Augusta thing, but the visuals don't do much for me. At the time, nearly all US courses with a decent size budget were of a similar bent. Naturalism hadn't made a real comeback as of yet.  But I think these days, Augusta really stands out as a brazen artificial course.

Ciao

jeffwarne

« Reply #88 on: November 17, 2020, 08:01:33 AM »

Ciao

Yes.

Ciao

I did think the course looked far too much like a garden rather than a golf course.  Naturalism hadn't made a real comeback as of yet.

Ciao

yeah, it's almost like it looked like.......a nursery.....
:)  ;)

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Kalen Braley

« Reply #89 on: November 17, 2020, 12:38:43 PM »
Sean,

I can understand if you thought ANGC was not your cup of tea, I get it...

But ugly?  Can you be more specific?

Sean_A

« Reply #90 on: November 17, 2020, 01:45:09 PM »
Sean,

I can understand if you thought ANGC was not your cup of tea, I get it...

But ugly?  Can you be more specific?

The ever so twee garden style is rather ugly to my eye. As I say, the saving grace is the greens. While the greens share the monochrome green of the remainder of the property, their dedication to the purpose of golf is nothing like a garden. The greens are bold and brash among a sea of visual dullness.

Ciao

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #91 on: November 17, 2020, 05:30:33 PM »
Sean - thanks much, your last two posts contained particularly good and descriptive terms & concepts that for me had relevance not limited to Augusta.

Bernie Bell

« Reply #92 on: November 17, 2020, 06:01:37 PM »
Sean - thanks much, your last two posts contained particularly good and descriptive terms & concepts that for me had relevance not limited to Augusta.
+1.  I have filed away "ever so twee."  Pairs well with frilly bunkers and other woke golf emblems, IMO.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #93 on: November 17, 2020, 06:23:31 PM »
I guess i'm still lost in translation here.  Sounds like ANGC is just not your thing, akin to the preferences we all have for music, ladies, dining options, housing styles, etc. that no doubt vary greatly...

But still having difficulty seeing anything that would be considered "ugly" in any way, shape, or form in the countless hours of TV coverage and pics I've seen of the place.

P.S.  I can scarcely recall a course I've seen or played where the greens didn't stand out from its surrounds.  Maybe TOC?

jeffwarne

« Reply #94 on: November 17, 2020, 06:49:25 PM »
I guess i'm still lost in translation here.  Sounds like ANGC is just not your thing, akin to the preferences we all have for music, ladies, dining options, housing styles, etc. that no doubt vary greatly...

But still having difficulty seeing anything that would be considered "ugly" in any way, shape, or form in the countless hours of TV coverage and pics I've seen of the place.

P.S.  I can scarcely recall a course I've seen or played where the greens didn't stand out from its surrounds.  Maybe TOC?

Despite being a homer, I can see a litte bit of Sean's point.
18 green and approach certainly is no aesthetic charmer nor are other holes such as 4,1,5,9 etc.
But the holes play well for pros, like 3 in the other discussion.
Just a bit of RTJ meets Emerrald City and Mr. Clean
The area on 18 left about 250-270(which wasn't in play with the old tee) is a mess of bushes and screening to hide all the infrastructure there.Watched Bernhard hit it onto a keg there a year ago.

Sean_A

« Reply #95 on: November 17, 2020, 09:23:43 PM »

I take your point. That said, even as a garden I don't find Augusta attractive. Again, the hand of man is far too heavy.

Ciao

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back