News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Jarvis

Re: Cypress Point vs Royal Melbourne West - hole-by-hole Match Play
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2014, 03:58:42 AM »
Hole 9

I always love a great short 4, so Cypress wins back-to-back holes to close out the front 9 for me.

Match: RMW 3 up
Twitter: @BennyJarvis
Instagram: @bennyj08

Jim Nugent

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2014, 08:12:06 AM »
I'm curious how others who know both courses score them at this point in the match. 

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2014, 11:00:57 AM »
I've RMW 2up as I give the 7th a half. Only played CPC once but know RMW pretty well having played it 6/7 times including the Composite.

Ben I have 7th as the third best par 3 on each course, I am a fan of short par 3s which 7 RMW is a good example of. For me CPC was a tougher shot to judge and get right, RMW also seems an anti climax after 4 world class holes on the bounce. We are splitting hairs though on the best the game can offer!
Cave Nil Vino

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2014, 08:40:06 AM »
I've RMW 2up as I give the 7th a half. Only played CPC once but know RMW pretty well having played it 6/7 times including the Composite.

Ben I have 7th as the third best par 3 on each course, I am a fan of short par 3s which 7 RMW is a good example of. For me CPC was a tougher shot to judge and get right, RMW also seems an anti climax after 4 world class holes on the bounce. We are splitting hairs though on the best the game can offer!

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2014, 08:48:44 AM »
Hole 10

No contest here and perhaps a much needed win for RMW, as we know what CPC is like down the stretch..

Match: RMW 4 up

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2014, 12:39:46 PM »
Isn't 10 RMW just and 3 iron, flick or a good biff with a lightly drawn driver?............................
Cave Nil Vino

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2014, 02:02:14 PM »
Isn't 10 RMW just and 3 iron, flick or a good biff with a lightly drawn driver?............................

I agree but the 10th at CPC is really just a par 4.  I played in front of Phil Mickelson here a few years ago and he hit driver - 9 iron.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2014, 02:26:31 PM »

Of course it is. Just don't pull or hook or fade or push or mishit or overhit your driver. and I hope you have balls of steel on that pitch after a 3 iron. Easy hole.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2014, 03:38:26 PM »
Mark its the classic 3/4 wedge approach, even from the perfect spot its a devil of a shot.
Cave Nil Vino

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2014, 07:20:38 AM »
Hole 11

I really like both holes. Strategically, I think the 11th at RMW asks more of you, however I just love the transition from forest to dunes at CPC. A halved hole for me.

Match: RMW 4 up

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2014, 07:06:29 AM »
Hole 12

This one wasn't easy and arguably I could have given the 12th hole a half. However, I'm giving it to Cypress. I'm fond of the requirement to hit a fade and draw, whilst aesthetically, I like the green set at the base of the sand dune on the right and ocean behind.

Match: RMW 3 up

George Blunt

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2014, 10:53:41 AM »
Sorry to be chiming in a little bit late. I an avid admirer of RM West, so I am probably biased.  Can anyone think of a better six hole stretch than RMW 2 - 7?  I can't think of a better sequence of holes anywhere that I have played.  Curious to hear if others agree?
George

jonathan_becker

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2014, 11:58:38 AM »
Sorry to be chiming in a little bit late. I an avid admirer of RM West, so I am probably biased.  Can anyone think of a better six hole stretch than RMW 2 - 7?  I can't think of a better sequence of holes anywhere that I have played.  Curious to hear if others agree?
George

I would agree with this and I was saying it before I even stepped foot on the property at Royal Melbourne!  Head to head though, because of all the deception on the hole and the many ways it can be played, I will pick CPC 5 over RMW 5 for this thread.  Even I can't believe I just posted that because RMW 5 might be the best inland par 3 I've played.  Who can say though?  Difficult decisions have to be made in this thread.  The most difficult actually.

Here's how I have it right now....

1-CPC
2-RMW
3-RMW
4-RMW
5-CPC
6-RMW
7-RMW
8-CPC
9-CPC
10-RMW
11-CPC
12-CPC

Even
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 12:02:20 PM by jonathan_becker »

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2014, 06:46:09 AM »
Hole 13

Whilst the 13th at RMW is a great example if how to build a wonderful par-3 over some fairly bland flat land, I can't go past CPC here.

Match: RMW 2 up

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2014, 06:28:11 AM »
I must apologise for my absence of late.

Back to the match;

Hole 14

I'm not sure where I sit with the 14th hole. I keep hearing that 14 at RMW is a weak hole but on the contrary, I quite like it. No matter where the pin is, but particularly when on the right half, your approach shot needs to come in from the left side of the fairway. This brings into danger the dense shrubbery.

At CPC, I really like the elevated tee shot to a fairway that bends to the right, progressively getting narrower as it gently rises up through the cypress trees. The approach shot then plays a little longer than its yardage, but being long does no favours, as I quickly found out when my approach trickled over the back of the green.

I'm not convinced 110% but I'm leaning to CPC here.

Match: RMW 1 up

Julian Wise

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2014, 03:01:57 PM »
This thread is fantastic.  I would say I am on pins and needles but at this point, we sort of know the CP will win 15 and 16 and very likely 17 and lose 18.  Keep writing--really terrific reading.  Thx.

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2014, 04:23:20 AM »
Hole 15

No commentary required here.

Match: all square

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2014, 03:36:25 AM »
Hole 16

The 16th hole at RMW is perhaps the best example of how a long par-3 over flat and relatively bland terrain can work exceptonally well. Shame it's up against the best long par-3 situated on the most dramatic terrain found anywhere in the world.

Match: CPC 1 up

Jim Nugent

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2014, 10:08:31 AM »
I'm guessing this question has been raised before, but I haven't seen it, so here goes.  Looks like as you walk about 15 yards or so off the #15 green at CPC, there's room for an alternate tee for #16.  This tee would turn the hole into a 435 yard par 4, with at least three ways to play it:

1.  Hit your tee shot along the coast, over the existing #16 tee.  190 yard shot.  From there you go for the green (r230 yards?), or play to the existing bailout area and then the green.

2.  Drive to the current bailout area.  Around 210 yard carry.  Pitch to the green.   

3.  Go for the green.  275 carry or more. 

I don't know the land -- am going strictly on what I see over the net.  Is this feasible given the site (and forgetting the Coastal Commission for the monen)?  A good hole?  Could players tee it up now and try it?   

I know Raynor wanted to make #16 a par 4.  Did he have something like this in mind? 

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2014, 09:38:19 PM »
I'm guessing this question has been raised before, but I haven't seen it, so here goes.  Looks like as you walk about 15 yards or so off the #15 green at CPC, there's room for an alternate tee for #16.  This tee would turn the hole into a 435 yard par 4, with at least three ways to play it:

1.  Hit your tee shot along the coast, over the existing #16 tee.  190 yard shot.  From there you go for the green (r230 yards?), or play to the existing bailout area and then the green.

2.  Drive to the current bailout area.  Around 210 yard carry.  Pitch to the green.   

3.  Go for the green.  275 carry or more. 

I don't know the land -- am going strictly on what I see over the net.  Is this feasible given the site (and forgetting the Coastal Commission for the monen)?  A good hole?  Could players tee it up now and try it?   

I know Raynor wanted to make #16 a par 4.  Did he have something like this in mind? 

I've not heard this before, but it would provide some heroic driving options for golfers of all skill levels.

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2014, 09:55:27 PM »
Hole 17

The site of 17 at CPC is just incredible - dramatic and beautiful. It must be one of the greatest places on earth. The trees in the middle of the fairway asks you questions, but I'm not 100% certain they should be there.

17 at RMW is just a classic hole, bending to the left to a green which is set into a natural hill. The bunkering on the RHS of the green is just spectacular, whilst MacKenzie has left the entire front and LHS side free of hazards.

CPC can't lose this hole, but neither can RMW for me. Controversial, perhaps?

Match: CPC 1 up

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2014, 11:26:07 AM »
And Ben sets up a tie with two less than perfect 18th holes to come!
Cave Nil Vino

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2014, 02:58:09 AM »
And Ben sets up a tie with two less than perfect 18th holes to come!

No set up here, Mark. I sat down and recorded my hole-by-hole result without keeping a running tally.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on 17.

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2014, 02:59:23 AM »
Hole 18

This has to go to RMW. It's a very good tee shot, where you really want to hug the dangerous RHS in order to shorten the approach shot into a huge green. Whilst not obvious, there is a severe left to right break in the green.

Final Result: all square

Josh Stevens

« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2014, 06:23:10 AM »
Never played it or even seen it in the flesh, but the 18th at CPC looks so out of place.  Can someone enlighten me?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back