News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Morrissett

A little more than a year ago, I saw a magazine article in which Tom Doak named the most interesting courses he had seen recently.  One was Himalayan Golf Course in Nepal.  Never having even heard of the course, I visited the course's website and, from the stunning photos on it, dreamed of getting there one day.  

For many years I had wanted to visit Nepal (having even written a children's book, Sally and the Yeti, partly set there that hasn't quite made it to the New York Times bestseller list  :-\), and this spring things finally lined up to visit this special country.  While golf was most certainly not the main reason for the trip, I did manage to fit in part of a day at Himalayan Golf Course, and the decision to do so proved to be one of my wisest, as the course may well be the most amazing (a carefully selected word) on which I have ever set foot.  Playing there was such a rush that at times I was close to hyperventilating (please, no comments on my fitness or mental stability!) as  one superlative hole followed another.  I had felt this way before at only a few other courses, all little known layouts in spectacular, remote settings - Fishers Island in 1986, Shiskine in 1998, Stonehaven in 2003.  These courses all proved to be more than just pretty courses - they offered hole after hole of fascinating golf as well.    

Himalayan Golf Course commands our attention at so many levels - the unparalleled setting, the excellent holes, the basic conditioning that works quite well,  and the remarkable story of how an amateur architect envisioned and laid out the course, even expanding it from 9 to 16 holes. It is one of the most compelling stories in all golf.  People think Sand Hills is remote; give me a break!  8)

This photo by Ron Fream of the 6th hole was taken during the clearer fall months, when the Annapurnas are visible.

Everyone who is serious about golf should find his way to Pokhara.  There are more than enough non-golf reasons to visit Nepal (architect Ron Fream reckons he has visited the country more than 20 times!), and now there is a most valid golf reason to go as well.  With so much to offer, there is no good reason for a golfer NOT to visit this former kingdom.  (Note: While I did not play Yeti's Golf Course at Fulbari Resort, also just outside Pokhara, I am now kicking myself for missing it, as Ron Fream has sent several pictures and is high on the course as well.)

Since my return, friends have asked whether Himalayan Golf Course is a World Top 100 layout.  That question is almost degrading to the course and misses the point of having one's spirits lifted to the degree that this course does.  Some might argue about the modest length, the lack of long approach shots, etc., but to me the final determination is that there are no more than 50 (and perhaps closer to 25) other courses on the planet that I would rather play.

The warmth and hospitality of the Nepalis are well known. The caddie here is wading into the pond crossing the 1st fairway to retrieve the author’s less-than-ideal opening tee shot.

Perhaps the biggest compliment to the course is that, after walking around it, a friend who had never even been on a golf course before professed her desire to take up the game.  Balance her comments with the raves of the only two architects I know who have been there (Ron Fream and Tom Doak), and you have an unqualified triumph of a course.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 08:06:29 AM by Ran Morrissett »

Ran Morrissett

For those fortunate to have played a broad range of courses, I imagine the progression is somewhat similar. You begin by playing anything, then you move on to the city's best and subsequently conquer a given region. Eventually your sights fall farther afield, maybe to a resort like Bandon, Kiawah, Casa de Campo, Banff or Nirwana Bali, depending on where you live. Ultimately, if funds allow you join the extremely fortunate and visit the UK. Likely you then suffer a divorce  ::) but in time recover through golf and play 500+ plus different courses.

So now what?

You pick here and there - and on the odd occasion come across a Wolf Point - but sooner or later, the courses you like begin to take on a similar feel - UNTIL NOW.

For the jaded golfers who have played 500-1500 courses and seen the usual list of suspects, if Himalayan Golf Course isn't your new #1 must see (it's certainly mine  :o) after reading Brother John's profile, I'll be shocked. Ignore the rankings - none mention it.

As an aside, this is brother John's first 'Course by Country' profile since Marquette in 2007 and it serves as a great reminder that GolfClubAtlas.com would never have gotten off the ground (i.e. would not exist) without John's crucial involvement 1998-2001. Here's hoping that 1) a place like Patagonia gets a course like this and 2) John contributes course profiles with greater frequency.

Best,

Rees Milikin

That is remarkable!  The pictures and descriptions are amazing, but I can only imagine how visually stimulating it must be to see in person.

Tom_Doak

What can I say ... I told you so.

I was secretly hoping that The Confidential Guide would be first to write up the course in all its glory, but the Asian edition is still far away, so I'm glad it was John that did so.  As he aptly describes, the visit was a life-changing experience for we jaded golfers who think we have seen it all and done it all.

What John can't quite capture [from my perspective] is how simple but brilliant the design really is.  It takes chances that no practicing golf architect would take, and it pulls them off without a sweat, because they were the only practical solution.  It occurred to me that it could only have been built by someone like Maj. Gurung, or George Crump ... a practical, amateur designer who was just focused on making things work.  [On my own visit, Maj. Gurung walked around to guide us, but he didn't really introduce himself and it took me three or four holes to figure out he was the man behind the place; that's how modest he is.]  Likewise, the maintenance meld is nothing like you've experienced anywhere else, but the course plays better for it.

I have been promising that I would get John a couple of photos for this profile of when we were there and the mountains were visible [through a bit of haze].  I'll do it eventually; work has gotten in the way.  Ron Fream's picture doesn't quite do the scene justice ... and I wonder if he photoshopped it a bit, because I remember Annapurna a bit further to the left.  Anyway, the first time you see that peak, it is a complete double-take ... it looks like the moon coming up over the horizon, except it's pointy, and BIGGER.

It's a golf course like none other.

PCCraig

Incredible! Thank you for compiling and posting, John.
H.P.S.

Eric Smith

Wow...what a place to dream about visiting one day. Thanks for the piece, John.

Tom,

I found the photo below, via Google:

Tom_Doak

Eric:

Yes, that's how I remembered it ... Annapurna is on the far left, peeking up above the clouds.

I wonder what's up in the first photo?

Matt Kardash

It looks like a golf course that doesn't even know it's a golf course, if that makes any sense. Looks amazing.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Ronald Montesano

first photo is deliciously pixilated with heightened colors. Cartoonish and dreamy in a simultaneous way.

who thinks that he/she has seen or done it all?
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Nigel Islam

I made the mistake of showing the course to a friend of mine a few weeks ago, and now he keeps trying to convince me to go play it with him. He thinks we can climb Everest too ::)

Mark McKeever

Fantastic review of a course I hope to one day experience.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Paul Gray

Never have I smiled so much whilst reading a review.

It got me thinking, much as I'm a sucker for doing so myself, that ratings are just an utter nonsense. You can't put interaction between nature like this and man in a simple list.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Thomas Dai

Splendid, just splendid. Well done.
atb

Ulrich Mayring

Wow, where on earth did they find a place in Nepal that was lower than most mountain courses we know, but looks like it is at least at 10000 feet a. s. l. :)

Looked up the local climate, it is actually sub-tropical with a fair amount of monsoon rain. Seems like they could have a decent golfing season and not have to confine themselves to three months like some Alpine courses. The only concern I have is that this course might be too difficult for locals interested in taking up the game. Losing golf balls seems easy and I have no idea whether the locals could afford to buy many.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Jon Wiggett

Great to see some more unusual courses getting a bit of the limelight! Neat concept and it must really boost the ego seeing the ball fly so much further off the tee though the downside is also watching that 80 yard pitch still climbing as it sails over the green :)

Jon

Tom_Doak

Great to see some more unusual courses getting a bit of the limelight! Neat concept and it must really boost the ego seeing the ball fly so much further off the tee though the downside is also watching that 80 yard pitch still climbing as it sails over the green :)

Jon

The course is only at 3000 feet, you hit the ball maybe 5 yards longer with a wedge and 20 with the driver ... but with less roll on the drives, it probably plays about the same yardage as a normal course.

Tom_Doak

Wow, where on earth did they find a place in Nepal that was lower than most mountain courses we know, but looks like it is at least at 10000 feet a. s. l. :)

Looked up the local climate, it is actually sub-tropical with a fair amount of monsoon rain. Seems like they could have a decent golfing season and not have to confine themselves to three months like some Alpine courses. The only concern I have is that this course might be too difficult for locals interested in taking up the game. Losing golf balls seems easy and I have no idea whether the locals could afford to buy many.

Ulrich

I don't remember our threesome losing any balls, except for a couple into the river on the par-5 6th, and a couple of big hooks off the 3rd tee [not pictured].  Your caddie is going to find anything on property.  It would be difficult for a complete beginner due to the several carries off the tee, but I don't think they are pricing locals out of the market, I just don't think there are very many local golfers.

Thomas Dai

I wonder if there is a 'Caddy's Day' at the course?

Not wishing to get 'political' but this was pretty common practice around clubs in Asia that developed during the days of the British Raj and even at clubs within former spheres of British Raj influence that developed later on. Lots of decent players started playing on 'Caddy's Day' and not all of them continued to be only caddies.

atb

Ulrich Mayring

The problem is if there aren't many local golfers, then a course like this will always remain a curiosity and once the Major cannot run his course anymore, its future will be questionable.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Tom_Doak

The problem is if there aren't many local golfers, then a course like this will always remain a curiosity and once the Major cannot run his course anymore, its future will be questionable.

Ulrich

I suppose you might have said the same about Pine Valley.

That's why we are trying to let everyone know about it.

Michael Goldstein

Wow.  I had no idea this was proper golf.  This is now a must see - and there are few excuses being only a few hours flight away!
@Pure_Golf

Paul_Daley

G'day John,

Congratulations on your write-up about the Himalayan Golf Club. It sure is one out of the box.

Agreed: rankings have no place for a course of this ilk, as the sheer achievement of getting it off the ground is mind-boggling in itself.

It was a thrill to feature the course back a decade+ ago. In Favourite Holes by Design, I think.   

Pleased to hear that TD has made the trip.

Cheers,
PD

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back