News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Randy Thompson

Any news on the advances of the C&C project in Dallas?
« on: April 03, 2014, 03:40:57 PM »
Just checking if anybody has any news in relation to the Dallas project and its advancment. Its suppose to be a potential future site for the Byron Nelson which will be a different twist for them. Also I look forward to see what they will do with a not so fantastic site. Can anybody confirm if dirt is being moved.

Ben Hollerbach

Re: Any news on the advances of the C&C project in Dallas?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 03:56:59 PM »
This preliminary routing is a year old, but I don't think i've seen it posted here yet.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 05:09:43 PM »
Hate to see them place the clubhouse in the NW corner, which can lead to sun problems.  However, it looks like a good routing for that, with a cross over, so hole 1 plays south instead of east, and 18 plays north instead of west, although, if I have it right, 15 and 16 will have some sun problems. Looks like at least 5 double fairways!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 09:23:04 PM »
To my eye, that does not look like a C&C routing.
Do you have a larger version.
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Ben Hollerbach

Re: Any news on the advances of the C&C project in Dallas? New
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 09:51:36 PM »
I've tried to find a larger version, but no luck. Updated satellite photos from last October shows clearing similar to the routing.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 05:49:40 PM by Ben Hollerbach »

mike_beene

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 05:37:46 PM »
I was at Cedar Crest this morning and thought about going by. Can you see anything from the road? My impression is that Coore has been going down there some when he is in town on our project but that is just hearsay.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 05:15:26 AM »
Don't know anything about this project. It looks as though there was a course on the land before. Is that the case and does anyone have photos of it to give an idea of the terrain.

Jon

Howard Riefs

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 07:36:51 AM »
Don't know anything about this project. It looks as though there was a course on the land before. Is that the case and does anyone have photos of it to give an idea of the terrain.

Jon

The site is a former landfill that borders the Trinity Forest. Prior thread:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,54210.0.html
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 08:15:03 AM »
Thanks Howard.

mike_beene

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 06:12:11 PM »
Jon, what you may be seeing is the old Riverlake Club which was on the river near the site and had 36 holes. It is no longer in existence.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 06:48:16 PM »
Mike,

Thanks for the info. From the shape and size of the clearings in both the CC plan and aerial photo it seems to be the same plot of land. You can just make out faint outlines of what were golf holes on it.

Jon

Sam Morrow

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 06:54:39 PM »
Jon, what you may be seeing is the old Riverlake Club which was on the river near the site and had 36 holes. It is no longer in existence.

Was it called Riverlake before it was Sleepy Hollow?

Sam Morrow

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 06:55:16 PM »
To my eye, that does not look like a C&C routing.
Do you have a larger version.
Cheers

Mike do you mind explaining what you mean?

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 08:40:28 PM »
Sam,
My guess is that a land planner or likely another golf course architect created the plan for permitting reasons not under C&C's direction or it is the old abandoned golf course redrawn.

Here is what looks different from a C&C built golf course:

They usually aren't boxed into a site, in entirety
No discernable triangles or tacking
The green shapes look modern or to have artificial amoeba type lines
The fairway lines look swoopy which is indicative of mounding
Fairways are too skinny in spots
Bunkering is on the perimeters of holes not cutting into fairways
5 double fairway holes???
They don't create digital plans

Or their routings usually look more like this:

Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 10:52:39 PM »
Mike,

Thanks for the info. From the shape and size of the clearings in both the CC plan and aerial photo it seems to be the same plot of land. You can just make out faint outlines of what were golf holes on it.

Jon

Jon,

The C&C plan is from February 2013 and the aerial is from October 2013. The clearing your seeing in the aerial is either the start of the work or someone with a mower creating fairways based upon the Feb. 13 plan. If you look at aerials that predate the plans the land shows no signs of golf.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2014, 11:02:14 PM »
Thanks Mike!

mike_beene

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2014, 01:55:40 AM »
Sleepy Hollow was named Riverlake most of its life.I never played it. I believe it was located on the west of the Trinity north of Loop 12 (which is apparently now called the Trinity Forest Road). It was truly in the river bottoms and it is my understanding the new course is higher up.Does anyone know what kind of greens they are putting in? If they really want an Open, which I find hard to believe in this climate,then they better consider Bermuda .

Ben Hollerbach

Re: Any news on the advances of the C&C project in Dallas? New
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2014, 10:44:16 AM »
This aerial from 2004 shows the then existing 36 hole facility in proximity to the current Trinity Forest site.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 05:50:31 PM by Ben Hollerbach »

Howard Riefs

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2014, 09:11:55 PM »
Looks like C&C will bring elements of Punehurst No. 2 to their design a Trinity Forest:

"Trinity Forest will feature a links feel with rolling terrain and swaying native grasses. Plans call for push-up turtle-back greens. Other similarities to Pinehurst include the sandy waste areas, rugged bunkering and a lack of rough. Pinehurst lost some trees in the renovation. The Trinity layout calls for no trees or water. But the most significant element shared by the courses is firm-and-fast conditions."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/golf/headlines/20140611-what-brown-can-do-for-u.s.-open-it-may-do-for-future-home-of-byron-nelson.ece
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Ben Hollerbach

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back