News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

J_ Crisham

Elimination of First Cut of Rough - Good Idea?
« on: July 07, 2014, 11:13:26 AM »
My club eliminated our first cut of rough this year. It was done primarily  due to the hosting of the Western Amateur in 3 weeks time. Our rough could be easily described as juicy at this point in the season due to consistent heavy rains and now warm temperatures. On Friday I had 3 shots that would have been sitting up nicely if we still had a first cut- instead of being able to hit a hybrid , I was forced to hack out with a 9 iron each time. Yesterday it happened 4 times in my round. There is talk of keeping it this way after the event. Is this a good maintenance /course setup idea for your  typical club player? Is it too penal? Do other clubs have this as a normal setup?

noonan

Re: Elimination of First Cut of Rough - Good Idea?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 11:15:14 AM »
If the rough is not watered ok - otherwise if you miss the fairway by a foot you are screwed. Miss by 20 yards = good lie. Another plus for center irrigation - and cutting the fairways out to where the water hits.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 12:10:18 PM »
Ah....very timely topic as we just did the same thing just a bit north of you.
Very important to have clear coordination and communication between all involved or it can be a sh*t-show....;-)

When a "step cut" exists between the fairway and primary rough, there are two ways to remove it: "Lower the bridge or raise the river"...;-)

Meaning: 1) mow the step cut down to fairway height or 2) grow the step cut to rough height.

This assumes, however, that the grass types are the same and in many cases they are not. When we embraked on a restoration, we knew that an entire cut of grass would be eliminated from the course. In earnest and in haste last year, we thought we would be cute and remove step cut ASAP even before bunker work and tree work began.

So, we let our step cut grow out to height of the primary rough. Ouch, here's what ensued:

1. The fairways were effectively narrowed by ~8' (no big deal at our course)
2. The new rough, where old first cut was, came in thick and nasty and was cut at same level as primary rough or close to 2.5" (maybe 3"). It had also been fertilized.
3. Members would miss FW by 1' and have trouble finding their ball....;-)
4. Average round times spiked as this slowed play.

This year, now that restoration project has been completed (first stages at least), it is much better. Rough is mowed lower overall and balls that drift into primary cut can be played with just usual lack of spin, etc. It definitely saves maintenance and we also believe it looks cleaner. We also got rid of green fringes/collars and that has been received VERY well.

So, this trending practice, if done "right", can be very cool and will be received well. But, it sounds as if you are experiencing what we did last year.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 12:34:41 PM »
Dave and Ian,   I personally don't care for the esthetic appearance for starters. Most club members need all the help they can get from the rough- especially on some of our lengthy par 4's. It has been challenging to find balls that are barely off the fairway. Ian, my hope is that it thins out if we keep this practice. Dave, I will be interested to hear your take on it after your round tomorrow- as a strong player, even you will struggle to muscle it out with more than a 7 iron. As an aside , the course with the exception of 7 green looks outstanding. Play well tomorrow and keep it in the short stuff!

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 01:28:03 PM »
I think the real issue here is the length of primary rough.  If that was kept at a more manageable height, you wouldn't need to maintain an intermediate height of rough - which is an added expense.  An intermediate cut adds some nice definition when you have very long primary rough, but that set-up detracts from the golfing experience of a healthy majority of members, especially seniors and women.

Here is a link to a USGA article on the issue;

http://gsr.lib.msu.edu/article/oatis-waste-7-26-13.pdf

TK

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 02:46:20 PM »
Dave and Ian,   I personally don't care for the esthetic appearance for starters. Most club members need all the help they can get from the rough- especially on some of our lengthy par 4's. It has been challenging to find balls that are barely off the fairway. Ian, my hope is that it thins out if we keep this practice. Dave, I will be interested to hear your take on it after your round tomorrow- as a strong player, even you will struggle to muscle it out with more than a 7 iron. As an aside , the course with the exception of 7 green looks outstanding. Play well tomorrow and keep it in the short stuff!

I have learned over the past year that (rough) grass needs to be trained before you cut it to the desired height. Our super took several weeks to slowly lower mowing heights. With our faster, firmer, drier overall plating conditions (massive recent rains not withstanding), the rough gets more play as balls are rolling like never before.

Lastly, as FWs are also now rolling into bunkers with no roough protection, there is a great defense there considering the overall rough heights have been shortened.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back