News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy_Naccarato

Re:The Kingsley Club vs. Lost Dunes
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2003, 05:14:25 PM »
Muchas Gracias Mr. Sturges.

Matt, Why is it that every Rees Jones fanatic accuses me of being so concerned about the look? :) (This of course is a joke, because I know how much you agree with me regarding Sandpines!)

I'll give into the fact that you may not like Maidstone because it doesn't fit into your ideas of tough love with every hole close to maximum length, but then again, you might want to rethink about this trip to Scotland, and forget even about wanting to visit the Old Course. It will be a waste of your time, and I will guarantee you that you won't like the food. Parkway Grill is 5400 miles away.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2003, 05:17:47 PM by Tommy_Naccarato »

T_MacWood

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2003, 05:40:03 PM »
I wonder if the 1st at TKC might be better suited for later in the round, although I think it is a great hole and I too like the options, I wonder if the fact that it is the first hole might limit the number of golfers attempting the more difficult tee shot to the right.

You never said Lost Canyons (Sky) and Nantucket were masterpieces? I could have sworn you did, although you did back track if I’m not mistaken…no matter. No need to defend your rational on these courses.

Actually I spend most of my time in a chair and it isn’t that comfy. My couch is fairly comfy, but I do most of my reading and writing on the chair, although I do sometimes read and write on the couch…in fact I’ve done some of my best work on the comfy couch. Unfortunately the couch needs to be cleaned....I think I spilled a bromide.

You seem to spend a lot of time explaining or analyzing why others disagree with some of your assessments…the reasons they are mistaken.  The way you see it either they are transfixed with Tillie, Raynor, Ross, et al.…zealous traditionalists that can not appreciate the newer courses…or have a distaste for most modern designers and designs….or a little of everything. Sadly you place me in this category. Why the need to defend your position by trying to discredit an opposing view…why not make your case and leave it at that?

I wasn’t aware I erred big time on Hollywood, Bethpage Black and Baltusrol…if I’m wrong I believe I should correct the record….could you please give me one or two details I missed on these courses so I might correct it. I don’t recall you questioning my findings before, but I would appreciate your help now.

I really don’t recall your personal top 50 but I’ll take your word on its diversity…was that the one Doak was laughing at? At least you had the courage to list your list…what do you do with it anyway…do you post on the fridge…might we find it in NJ golfer….could it be part of a new book, a kind of confidential guide for the meat and potato set? I don’t think you are out of touch….did I say you were out of touch….I was telling a friend just the other day that you have to be the greatest GD rater who ever lived….you have seen more courses than any man I know. You have to tip your hat to that. I’m almost to the point where your lists and opinions are so final and conclusive; that I’m beginning to think it may not be necessary for any of us to have our own obviously flawed opinions.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2003, 06:30:13 PM »
Mr. Sturges, The Emperor:

Many times, in fact too much time is spent on GCA discussing the classic courses but so little is really explored or known about the many first rate modern courses that have come forward. I'm not talking about Pacific Dunes or the other most favored new courses you see here on GCA.

People rarely talk about new courses such as Black Mesa, Paa-Ko Ridge, Olde Kinderhook, Arcadia Bluffs, Ocean Hammock, The Kingsley Club to name just these six that are first rate designs in my book. A number of the unheralded designers (Mike DeVries, Baxter Spann, Warren Henderson, Tim Liddy, etc, etc) are out there and if people took the time to trek across the United States you'd see what I am talking about. Many of the people who post are simply reginal in nature and when they do visit areas they only cherry pick the classic courses because of a limited schedule to see others.

I have huge respect for Maidstone -- but I have a much deeper appreciation on what it means to be a top 100 course. I have been stereotyped by people as the guy who only plays the 8,000+ yard courses with no real design aspects other than raw length and difficulty -- that is of course rubbish. I have mentioned such unknown courses as Forsgate / Banks Course as a wonderful layout that very few really see. Ditto the 18 at Montclair Golf Club in West Orange, NJ -- it's #2 & #4 nines are designed by Donald Ross and Charles Banks and are well done -- both courses in fact are not even 6,600 yards from the tippy tips! I just don't see how Shoreacres is thought of as a top 40 course (see GM ratings) and the biggest joke is that even Yale goes up even when the conditions and the nature of how the course plays now makes me shake my head and wonder what people are looking at.

Not all of modern golf is fast food crap -- plenty of it is darn good and I make it a point to bring forward their names to highlight that while certain courses of yesteryear are timeless (i.e. Shinnecock, CP, Oakmont, etc, etc) there are quite few from that time period that are more of the "used to be great" than "still are." Maidstone in my mind benefits from being thought of as in the same league as the other two members of the Hampton troika -- SH and NGLA. I will say this that my initial comment about Maidstone not being in the top 25 within New York was in error but I won't back off for a New York minute in arguing that placement of Maidstone within the top 50 in the USA is simply too amusing to consider. The qualities of golf in The Empire State are excellent -- likely the best for private golf in the USA -- and there are a number of courses (i.e. Olde Kinderhook, Fenway, Sleepy Hollow, Crag Burn, Century, Bethpage Red, to name just a few) that get pushed aside routinely because of ignorance by people who should know better IMHO.

Mr. Sturges, I would urge you to see a number of the superior efforts put forward by some of the names that are often dissed here on GCA. To wit Jack Nicklaus (Ocean Hammock), Rees Jones (Olde Kinderhook) and even heaven help us all -- Tom Fazio (Glenwild). There is this tired tendency that I see when people bring up these names you get the same reaction from the same people but the reality is that very few of these people have played more than a small sampling of the designers work.

Tommy, I quite agree with you about Sandpines but next time you come east stop by and play Ocean Forest, Olde Kinderhook and if you are really game even The Bridge. Rees has certainly evolved with a number of his most recent efforts. I have stated on this site when there have been turkeys but let's be honest -- some people think that if they've seen one design from a designer than the rest will likely mirror. Great homework!

I don't doubt that many of the classic courses married the "look" and "play" criteria that are crucial to at least me. But, there are too many people who are hooked on this "look" aspect that they fail to evaluate the nature of the type of shots you must play throughout the round. I am not advocating that modern golf is all first rate stuff -- hell, I just came back from deep in south central West Virginia and played a new course called Twisted Gun that has a site to die for but it's overall design is lite weight stuff.

Too many people here on GCA simply play the same tried and true courses and then regurgitate the same "isn't that great" stuff to the very same people who will regurgitate the same "isn't that great" stuff and so on and so forth it goes.

I am not out to be a contrarian and I am not out to highlight some schlock golf ocurse just for the sake of tweaking somebody. However, I travel quite often throughout the country and I have seen enough of the designs of the up and coming architects and the old timers. Many folks here on GCA simply convey knighthood only to those who are their "pet favorites." Look guys -- you may not want to hear that but to say otherwise is a statement of denial. You'd be surprised by the amount of e-mails I get offline from many people who consistently post here on GCA. The difference is that I come out and state my position and don't get all worked up if so and so will continue to like me or invite me to play at such and such club in the future.

Mr. Sturges -- you are right -- let's keep humor involved -- I don't know if it's best to favor classic style humor or the more modern variety type. Oh well -- what do I know -- I'm just some urban guy from Jersey! ;)

Mr. MacWood:

As Reagan said to Carter int he '80 debates -- "there you go again."

I have made the case time after time after time. I get tired and frankly annoyed by people who lob in opinions from the cheap seats in left field with nothing more than aerial opinions. Look, we analyze things from different perspectives. Your thrust is whether Tillie meant for the bunker to have an especially high lip or did he tweak it one foot lower and other arcane aspects that you and those like you find appealing.
So be it. I'll catch a few winks while you guys discuss
such d-e-e-p issues.

Tom -- I have my opinions. If you don't like'm that's fine. But I won't let people weasel in with the same old tired baloney about such and such course from the time of Moses still being soooooooooooooo great when the reality is far different. People need to see what goes on through the entire country and while I don't doubt many of the great courses from yesteryear will hold their position there are quite a few that will go down and be replaced by others. I know the whole aspect of ratings and reviews is something that bores you so let's just say we have a different focus -- and interest in the game.

I play golf and want to see what the architect has done to imbue the course with strategic considerations not esoteric aspects that may "look" great but have little REAL consequence on how the hole plays. Clearly, there will be times when these esoteric features do have meaning and purpose but I have seen instances when people fawn over whether the bunker on the right, that has no real meaning to the playing of the hole, is flared high or low. Wow -- how compelling!

Tom -- when you decide to post your top 50 courses THAT YOU HAVE PLAYED I'd love to see it. I've jumped in the pool --how about leaving the diving board and showing people your stuff before you hit the water. Oh -- I forgot you're still on the couch!  By the way my favorite program is Roseanne -- you know how it is for the meat and potato crowd! ;D

T.J. Sturges

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2003, 08:43:26 PM »
Matt,

Random thoughts after reading your last post:

1.  I will admit I have not seen very many Rees courses (or Fazios, or Nicklauses or Palmers).  Once I see a course by any designer that I really like (like the very first Ross course I ever played...French Lick), I decide then and there I want to see more of that architect's work.  If I have played 2 or 3 from an architect and haven't seen anything of their's that appeals to me, I won't go out of my way to see more of their work.  Why should I?  Please give me a good reason why I should look at the "next Rees course" versus the 300 Ross courses I have yet to see.

2.  What do Yale's (or any courses's) conditions have to do with the architecture, or how we would evaluate what the architect has done?

3.  Your statement that there are many courses in the category of "used to be great" is probably worthy of creating a new topic.  Having said that, can you give me half a dozen that you feel fall into that category?

TS

T_MacWood

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2003, 11:01:23 PM »
Matt
There you go again with the "there you go again" reset...you might want to develop some new material. I must admit you do have a extraordinary grasp on clichés, I envy your command.

I don't lob opinions, I lob bromines and fling opinions. The cheap seats comment is a low blow...I thought you had me on the couch....now you seem to be insinuating my humble abode is cheap?

I understand the details are a bit of a bore....what made Colt's designs so appealing....what makes them unique in comparison to Fowler and vice versa....why are Thompson's courses so exhilirating and what similarities might we find in the work of a DeVries or Strantz...IMO great courses are great courses no matter when they were built or where they were built.

There is a saying that those who don't study history are condemned to repeat it...in other words repeat past mistakes. But not only will the ignorant repeat those mistakes, they will also miss the lessons of the past...in other words the brilliant ideas that worked (and why they worked). If I didn't have a decent understanding of golf architectural theory....both new and old....I would be limited to my abilities of discovery, not the worst thing but why not enhance your experience with the wisdom of the past? If you are truly interested in the art of architecture (as opposed to collecting golf experiences) how can you not be drawn to the greats of the past (and present) and their ideas...no matter what your area of interest?

Would you send a child to the Guggenheim to critique the art....they may have an interesting perspective based on their limited experience with finger painting, but I would prefer to get the opinion of the scholarly art critic.

Rating are ratings....IMO rating are only useful if they stimulate debate and analysis of why certain designs are appealing. Most ratings are far too focused on difficulty....is a lack of yardage preventing Banff, Jasper, Mayfield, The Addington, Swinley Park, Eastward Ho! and Ashdown Forest from ever appearing in the ranking...instead we find Torey Pines and Hazeltine...give me the esoteric aspects of the former group any day.

Top 50 courses? Hell I'm not sure I've played fifty courses. Your analogy of me on the diving board and showing my stuff before I hit the water is a bit disturbing.

GeoffreyC

« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2003, 10:37:51 AM »
Tom MacWood

Finally a discussion of two modern courses you have actually played and yet you have not stuck out your neck and made any detailed comparisons.

Why knock others for their tastes when you don't go out on a limb and give us your critical comparisons? Lets see what you think  :)

T_MacWood

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2003, 12:23:04 PM »
Geoffrey
Matt's tastes don't bother me per se...in fact we both hold several courses in high esteem....The Golf Club, Skokie, VN and Kingsley to name four (I've played so few courses :'( ). I was simply piling on him for being an ass. You know pulling the kind of crap that you did on your last post....be a man and show us what you've got....bad form.

I'm not one who runs to the computer right after playing a course to express my imediate impression (even on a dare)....actually I have in the past (with Whistling Straits) and regretted it.

I'm still trying to digest my impressions of Kingsley and will be revisiting Lost Dunes in the autumn (I understand the course is playing much differently than when I last saw it a few years ago). Perhaps then I'll give you my impressions around Xmas.

I will say I was impressed by both courses. Kingsely is the more interesting site....much more natural movement of the ground, so much movement that it had to be a challenge at times. From what I understand the site at LD was pretty flat within the quarry...the challenge was creating natural looking movement within, as well as utilizing the high points along the perimeter....Doak was also challenged by the highway....DeVries was challenged by the lack room (the protected land) on #12...both courses have a lot going for them.

I've stuck my neck out a few times...no big deal...and will likely do so in the future...but not to satisfy you.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2003, 12:47:29 PM »
Mr. MacWood:

You call me an ass. Wonderful commentary from a man who takes the supposed high road. I always appreciate comments from a person who bases more on how a course "looks" from the time of Moses to how it plays today. Great analysis my good man.

There is not enough time in the day to itemize what I really think of you. Suffice to say I know what I like in golf courses and you know what you like. We are like the proverbial cobra and mongoose. Destined to be on opposite sides. And you know what -- that makes me so happy! :-*

P.S. Don't forget the detail that really DOES matters -- you have to play the courses before you can start with all the armchair BS you are so good at providing. Pardon me now Tom as this brute from Jersey goes back to his plate of meat and potatoes. ;D

Mr. Sturges:

The situation with Yale is simple -- the conditioning (lack there of) does play a role in how the stragetic aspects come to life when playing. Yale is in sad shape on a continual basis and before anyone chimes in I'm not advocating anything near Augusta like conditions but the course needs a major overhaul in this regard. I don't doubt a case can be made that Yale could / should be rated if the turf issues were brought under control but to reward a course by pushing it even higher in the ratings when it's in such sad shape is inexcusable in my book.

Mr. Sturges you need to see a number of modern courses that are being done today. You can shortchange yourself and simply play the Ross, Tillie, et al combinations but the modern designers of today do "get it" from time to time and I have outlined quite a few on this thread and others that I believe are worthy of someone's time and $$. If you simply want to have a narrow vision of what good golf can be so be it.

The last question regarding great courses that "used to be" requires me to give it some thought so that my listing will be worthwhile given the fact that I often go out on a limb in such matters while others (not you of course!) hide in the shadows and simply pounce on my thoughts. No matter -- I'll post after a short thought period. By the way -- I do like Maidstone and Shoreacres but for them to be listed in the top 50 -- even the top 100 -- is inconceivable because they do both possess a good number of holes that are simply pedestrian type stuff.

T_MacWood

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2003, 01:01:54 PM »
Matt
My use of 'ass' was meant in the most loving and complementary way.

I'm still gathering info on Moses...I've seen reference to his ten commandments...but I think he may have just been repackaging MacKenzie's 13 principals...I'll get back to you when I have more info.

I prefer to call you a lovable brute from NJ.  But thats just my armchair opinion....thats not accurate either....what do you call an arm on a couch?

brad_miller

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2003, 07:08:26 PM »
Matt, we have had the disagrement before, I just can't see how Maidstone is not one of the 50, no less 100 places that I would like to tee it up for any one single round and multiple plays. Long live the "whale" in its wonderful natural shape.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2003, 07:17:11 PM »
Brad:

I respect what you say -- but I disagee. Maidstone benefits from being close to the twin bill of SH and NGLA. I do like the course but to say it belongs in the top 100 of the USA
today -- not back in the 50's and 60's is a major league stretch for me.

You see I have played a good number of modern courses and classic ones that are never apprecated to the fullest (just look at Fenway and even Sleepy Hollow for that matter) that are really putting the squeeze on a number of the famed "classic" courses form yesteryear. Unfortunately, these courses (I've named plenty of them and others have done likewise here on GCA) get little fanfare because they were designed by the "most favored architect" or happen to be in places that are not as plush as the Hamptons! ::) Let's also not forget that New York State has quite a number of other courses that get little recognition (i.e. Olde Kinderhook) but are superior to that of Maidstone IMHO.

I love the dunes holes at Maidstone (the 9th is a real peach!) but too many people simply have amnesia on the beginning holes that really are lite weight stuff. When you say a course is top 100 material it needs to be above and beyond any doubt. I have my doubts even though the ratings say otherwise. Oh well. ;)

GeoffreyC

« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2003, 10:19:52 PM »
Tom MacWood

Since when is it bad form to ask one's opinion and detailed comments on golf courses that they have played? You are well respected by some who read this board and your opinions could have been a constructive addition to the discussion.

I'm sorry you choose not to participate. The bad form is staying out of the fire and then making snide remarks at those who do.

T_MacWood

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2003, 10:51:57 PM »
Geoffrey
You can't wait until Xmas? My short comparison was not constructive? You really know how to hurt a guy.  ::)

Being in or out of the line of fire is not a concern. I've been in the line more often than out of the line....you, Pat, Matt and others have fired more than your fair share of shots...no big deal.  I knew not buckling to your insult infected request would put me in the line of your fire once again....it would have been easier to compare the courses, but I'm still digesting my thoughts on Kingsley and will be re-visiting the new and improved Lost Dunes in the fall.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2003, 10:25:55 AM by Tom MacWood »

GeoffreyC

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2003, 08:56:57 AM »
Tom

You played Lost Dunes a few years ago and you're still digesting?  Go get an antacid or see a GI specialist. It could be serious  :)

Matt_Ward

« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2003, 01:51:40 PM »
Inspite of jeers from the cheap seats I am posting my back nine match-play analysis between Lost Dunes and The Kingsley Club. The Kingsley Club was one-up through the front.

10th hole -- Lost Dunes wins hole and squares match
The 10th at TKC is simply a step down compared to what you find on the front nine. The 10th at LD has enough character and options to rate the edge IMHO.

11th hole -- LD wins hole and goes one-up
The 11th at TKC is a good par-3 no doubt but the 11th at LD has a great setting for the approach and the green is well done.

12th hole -- TKC wins hole / match all square
The 12th at TKC is a very scary hole because the least bit pull or push tee shot is history. The green also sits well and it pays to hit plenty of club to get pin high. The 12th at LD is nicely done with the elevated tee but the hole is quite pro forma for my tastes.

13th hole -- TKC wins hole / TKC goes one-up
A superb short par-4 at TKC. The options and green is simply dynamic and thought provoking.

14th hole -- Hole is halved / TKC remains one-up
Both are good holes and I was tempted to give TKC the edge because the par-5, although it can be reached, has that interesting OB hanging on the nearby left side of the green.

15th hole -- TKC wins hole / TKC goes two-up
Good par-5 at LD but an even better hole at TKC. The green is tiny for the distance and the tee shot plays uphill a bit. I just loved the idea that the green at TKC is what it is.

16th hole -- Hole is havled / TKC remains two -up
Both are good but neither rates an edge IMHO.

17th hole -- LD wins hole / TKC goes one-up
Superb two-shotter at Lost Dunes and although the par-5 has plenty of thrills at TKC I go with the hole from Lost Dunes.

18th hole -- TKC wins hole / takes match 2&1
The key here is the green at TKC is the better of the two. The demands on the approach are not that different but I see the 18th at TKC being the slightly better hole.

All in all, a tight match and clearly Lost Dunes has a number of fine holes. I just believe the site at The Kingsley Club and the juxtaposition of holes you find during the round makes the difference for me.

T.J. Sturges

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2003, 03:29:35 PM »
Matt,

At the risk of being accused of chiming in from the "cheap seats", I wanted to weigh in on your back nine analysis.

1.  Your description of the 12 at LD as "pro forma":  What does pro forma mean?  I'm assuming it means something like mundane?  The green complex there is one of the more interesting on the course.  I'm surprised it did not catch your eye.

2.  You like the 14th @ LD better than I do.

3.  I give the 15th to LD, but I can't argue with what you say about the 15th @ TKC.  It is a very neat hole.  Your comment that "I just loved the idea that the green (15th) at TCK is what it is" is right on.

4.  How can you halve the 16th hole????  The best one shotter at TKC easily beats the weakest one shotter @ LD!!!

But, in the end you have the match pretty close.  If TKC is a top 10 something list kind of a course (and Top 100 in the world you guys argued) where would you vote for LD?  Would it make your top 100 in the US list?

TS

Matt_Ward

« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2003, 07:10:41 PM »
Mr. Sturges:

Hate to bust your bubble -- but I never made the argument that TKC is top 100 in the world. I said in the USA.

Let me also add this -- in taking the position that I have regarding The Kingsley Club I just truly believe the Digest panel blew it big time in not even listing the course in the top ten best new private a year ago. How they missed that is beyond me since the chief architectural critic for the publication said TKC was the best he played last year among the new courses. That's a major disconnect in my book. One other thing -- TKC was listed as only the 22nd best course in MI. Hello -- anybody home on that one too!

I really liked Lost Dunes and just because I see TKC being slightly ahead of it through the match-play process I also believe that if you were to line up the holes -- as a category of 3's, 4's and 5's you would see that TKC has the edge -- albeit a slight one mind you -- and I also believe the routing of how the holes come at the player throughout the round is also quite good at both facilities.

Just realize that this notion of a course being top 100 is simply so misunderstood by so many people. I've said this hundreds of time you have better odds in getting into Harvard Medical School than a top 100. Also, just because a course isn't "top 100" it doesn't mean the course is a dog track by any means.

I'd say Lost Dunes is a close call but likely looking in from the outside -- if you need a position I would say the course is in the top 150 for sure from the ones I've played. I would put The Kingsley Club in my personal top 50 but others may not be that much of a fan of the place like me. Most others that I have spoken to seem to believe the course would be somewhere between 50 and 75 on such a listing. Of course you obviously feel otherwise.

P.S. You'd be surprised at the number of modern courses that are quite good -- I'd hate for you to box yourself in to the narrow tunnel vision that says, "if it isn't a Ross or Tillie or Mackenzie course it's not for me" type of thinking.

I'm still pondering over the names of the courses that used to be great -- you can be sure two of those to be listed will include Maidstone and Shoreacres. Adios for now ...

T.J. Sturges

« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2003, 09:32:03 PM »
Matt,

Look at my prior post again and please answer any of the questions I posed.

And how can you have TKC beating LD 2 up and have it 100 spots higher (your personal top 50 versus your personal top 150) than Lost Dunes?  You must have seen over 100 Doak 8's and 7's (I didn't think there were that many!!!).

Finally, why would you be so upset that Golf Digest missed something?  Does anybody even read that magazine anymore?

TS

Paul Richards

« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2003, 10:16:12 PM »
This should generate some controversy, but after the front nine, I'd score it KC 9, LD 0.

Of course, on the back nine the opposite score would probably be the case!
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

T.J. Sturges

« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2003, 11:55:11 PM »
Paul,

You give 10 and 11 @ TKC a great deal of credit.  I certainly don't follow you there.

TS

Paul Richards

« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2003, 06:47:54 AM »
TJ

You are reading my post wrong.  I'm not giving TKC any credit for the back nine.
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

T_MacWood

« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2003, 07:33:11 AM »
This illustrates one of the flaws of head to head. I consider the holes across the highway at LD (1-7) to be its strongest stretch....it may be Kingsley's strongest too. Also comparing the merits of a par-3 to that of a longer hole is I don't think the best way to compare the relative merits of courses.

I also agree with Ted on the 12th holes. The 12th at Kingsley I'm certain would have been much different had the architect been able to encroach on the protected land to the left. I don't agree with Paul that the back nine at KC is lacking....it has a number of great holes....13, 15 and 16 to name three...I also love 17 and 18.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2003, 07:42:12 AM by Tom MacWood »

Michael Moore

« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2003, 07:37:53 AM »
Mr. MacWood -

The modified Stableford system is definitely the way to go.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

NAF

« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2003, 08:26:24 AM »
I've been unable to see why some are critical of the 18th at KC.  The tee shot is not visually distressing but the fairway rolls a great deal leaving a mid iron to a green pinched in by some fabulous bunkering.  I found the approach to be inspiring.

GeoffreyC

« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2003, 08:34:59 AM »
Tom MacWood

I completely agree with you (finally  :) ) about the pitfalls of match play comparisons of courses using the holes as the fall on the golf course.

I'm curious what you, Ran and Ted think Mike would have done differently with extra land to the left of the fairway landing area on #12 (I think that's where you are referring to)?  I found #12 to be a beautiful and natural hole. Obviously extra fairway to the left could create a very interesting approach over the ridge towards the swale on the right of the green but it certainly isn't necessary as a drive to the left of the fairaway still leaves a awkward approach.

I totally agree with you about #'s 13, 15 and 16 and with Noel on !8.  Only #10 and possibly 11 seem ordinary to me. THe weakest holes on the course in my opinion.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back