News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Strulowitz

Temple Hills CC (Nashville)
« on: July 16, 2015, 03:17:19 PM »
Just wanted to give a thumbs up  to this golf club if anyone is in the Nashville area.

My wife and I played this club this past Tuesday and had an absolute blast.  It is a Club Corp property, very well maintained, and offers tremendous variety.  Some of the best par 3s I have played in a while, with some really scenic and heroic caries over water.  A lot of trees on some holes, and others wide open, you could really let it rip.  Great conditions, and a wonderful practice area. 

The staff at this club is really something special.  From the moment we arrived, we were greeted by the cart person.  It was not a fake , mechanical greeting, like at some clubs.  We really felt welcome.  What really impressed me the most was when we got into the club house and was greeted by the pro Jay Leduc.  He not only checked us in, but gave us a tour of the entire clubhouse, and took us outside and showed us where the practice areas were, along with the 1st and 10th tee areas.  I have played golf all over the world, and I am taking the time to write all this, only because I have not received the wonderful greeting and level of customer service that I received at Temple Hills.

Could not find much info about this course beforehand on the internet.  Can anyone offer any tidbits about its architect or history?

BTW, as aside note, Nashville is a great place to visit.  The food is great, there is plenty to do, and the people are really friendly.  The Country Music Hall of Fame is a blast and really recommend the Johnny Cash museum.  We walked down Broadway and hopped club to club, never saw so much raw musical talent.  If you have not visited this wonderful city, you should definitely consider it. 
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 12:05:44 AM by Eric Strulowitz »

Mike Hendren

Re: Temple Hills CC (Nashville) New
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 06:25:54 PM »
Never thought I'd see a thread on Temple Hills.  I was a member there when I first moved back to Nashville in the mid-to-late 80's.  As I recall it was $500 to join (you couldn't tee it up until the check cleared) and $89/month.  There were 3 nines - I believe designed by Leon Howard and built around 1972.  Howard studied soil physics at Texas A&M and is credited with over 150 courses, mostly in Texas.  In addition to Temple Hills, he designed Old Fort (Murfreesboro muni), Country Hills (Hendersonville public), Two Rivers (Nashville muni) and Druid Hills at Fairfield Glade Resort near Crossville, TN. 

The course was then owned by an older engineer/constractor named Loyd Scobey who obtained it through judicial sale in 1981.  It was a housing track, perhaps a little before its time.  He milked the course but it was the only affordable private in town.  The bunkers were filled with what we called "Scobey Sand" that he likely co-opted from his construction sites.  He sold the course to a local group - LinksCorp in 1993.  The course was one of three they owned, others being Stonehenge at Fairfield Glade and another housing track - Nashboro Village. 

A 4th nine was built in-house around 1990 and would easily have qualified as a Doak 0.  It went to seed within a few years. 

New management has improved the course and the modest clubhouse and it is indeed well run.  While he's no longer there, the head pro was the gent who made the long eagle putt on his first hole last year in the PGA at Valhalla.

The course is characterized by significant elevation changes, severe doglegs, large potato-chip greens and plenty of OB on two of the three nines lined with houses - often on both sides. 

Perhaps a 3 on the Doak scale - on a good day.

And yes, Nashvegas has got it going on.  I can hear the bachelorette parties woo'ing on the Pedal Tavern outside my office as I type this. 

Glad you enjoyed the golf and visit Eric. 

Bogey
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 06:28:00 PM by Michael H »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back