News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Sims

Re: White v. Red - Hole 9 is up
« Reply #225 on: March 26, 2014, 01:16:24 PM »
Lou,
You are describing 9 correct?
Ben, are you talking about 9 or 10?
You guys may be talking about different holes.

I thought I was.  Is there not a canyon or depression to cross on the tee shot on #9 and a considerable walk-around?  It was the 9th, our starting hole in Match 3 of the 2013 5th Major where I tugged my punch 9 slightly into the natives.

Apparently I am mistaken on the bridge.  I thought that there was some talk about two or more  bridges including one from #9 tee to the fairway.  Mistaken again?

Lou,

Theres a bridge now just off 10 tee.

I'm curious as to why you included the part about your ball kicking off the left part of the green into the native. As I recall, the left side of the green slopes back into the green surface just beyond the large left side bunker(s).  And there's also quite a bit of short grass back and left of the green in the form of 11 tee.  Is is quirky for a low, high ball speed shot to carry through a green when it lands on it?

No ill motive.  I was describing a shot I hit which though I tugged slightly, the results greatly surprised me.  It was a conservative play with the expectation that the ball would kick right if anything (as you note, the slope is back toward the green, which is my recollection as well).  It did not go through the green, it just went left, and it did appear quirky given the wind and the shot (God, what I would give for a high ball speed!).  At worst I had expected a moderately difficult chip.  Perhaps it is not quirk as the course was new. 

Lou,

If you continue down the thread a bit from Keith's reminder you'll see that I goofed and was describing Red 10.  Yes, the left side of 9 green can thwart even decent shots. I see your point now.

Chris Shaida

Re: White v. Red
« Reply #226 on: March 26, 2014, 04:02:48 PM »
I'll wrap up my match play and thoughts on the courses and be done.

As it stands I have White +2.

Hole 11 Red wins (one of my favorite par 3's)
Hole 12 Red wins
Hole 13 White wins (there are secrets in regards to playing this hole, fun when you unlock it)
Hole 14 Red wins (this begins one of the greatest stretches in all of golf, IMO).
Hole 15 Red wins
Hole 16 Red wins
Hole 17 Red wins
Hole 18 Red wins

For the Match, Red (Doak) wins +4.

Overall, I think White (Nicklaus) is a fun and unique course in an amazing location.  

While I think Red, is one of the very best golf courses ever built.  Not only are the holes amazing, the routing excellent, and the setting iconic...but the construction and maintenance plans/process are something extra special.

GALATIANS 6: 7-9

Am I the only wondering where Mac had to rush off to?! Or maybe he fainted?

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #227 on: March 26, 2014, 09:53:42 PM »
I'll wrap up my match play and thoughts on the courses and be done.

As it stands I have White +2.

Hole 11 Red wins (one of my favorite par 3's)
Hole 12 Red wins
Hole 13 White wins (there are secrets in regards to playing this hole, fun when you unlock it)
Hole 14 Red wins (this begins one of the greatest stretches in all of golf, IMO).
Hole 15 Red wins
Hole 16 Red wins
Hole 17 Red wins
Hole 18 Red wins

For the Match, Red (Doak) wins +4.

Overall, I think White (Nicklaus) is a fun and unique course in an amazing location.  

While I think Red, is one of the very best golf courses ever built.  Not only are the holes amazing, the routing excellent, and the setting iconic...but the construction and maintenance plans/process are something extra special.

GALATIANS 6: 7-9

Am I the only wondering where Mac had to rush off to?! Or maybe he fainted?

Eric, Mac, is that the end of the thread? I was enjoying the hole by hole comparisons, so, I hope not.

Scott Szabo

« Reply #228 on: March 26, 2014, 11:32:30 PM »

White v Red will continue with a private tasting later this summer at Dismal River. I invite all of you who are coming out for the 5th Major to stop by cabin # 4 at 11:00 PM on Thursday, June 26 for the conclusion of this exercise. No electronic devices will be allowed, with the exception of my iPad, as I'm hoping to have Master Sommelier Peter J Pallotta facetiming us with his selections.

Again, thank you for indulging me!!
That's just plain wrong.  I was looking forward to the rest...
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Jim Nugent

« Reply #229 on: March 26, 2014, 11:55:33 PM »

Eric, Mac, is that the end of the thread? I was enjoying the hole by hole comparisons, so, I hope not.

If so, Mac's last post may give the reason. 

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #230 on: March 27, 2014, 07:32:13 AM »
I feel compelled to finish my thoughts.
11: I struggle on 11White to negotiate the fairway bunker, leaving a blind shot to a spectacular green. (Wish I could see the green from the fairway.)
      Red, a mid range par 3, also has a green full of movement. + 1 for that lower bowl.
      Red wins, +1.
12.  White has another strong par 5, Red with a par 4, highlighted by a green perched hillside.
       Push.
13:  Red wins, with a brute of a par 4. Red +2.
       The tee shot.

The approach.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #231 on: March 27, 2014, 07:37:54 AM »
14. Red has a par 4 with twin mounds to the sides of the landing area which can block or partially block your vision on the green. Many options exist off the tee from a mid iron or hybrid to driver.  + 3 Red.

15. Red seals the deal with another par 4 full of options .
4&3.

Jack Parrish

« Reply #232 on: March 27, 2014, 10:11:40 AM »
Disappointment is an understatement regarding my feelings on this thread's hiatus. However, I am excited to see the live "fight" at the 5th Major.

What am I supposed to do with my free time at work now?

Jud_T

« Reply #233 on: March 27, 2014, 09:08:50 PM »
As the inimitable John Malkovich famously said in Rounders..."I feel so unsatisfied"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvVoH-X-Kls

« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 09:10:46 PM by JTigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Josh Tarble

« Reply #234 on: March 27, 2014, 09:44:24 PM »
Jud,
As Malkovich also said:

"In my club, I do whatever the f*ck I please"
 ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back