News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe_Tucholski

Golf in Ukraine
« on: February 23, 2014, 11:42:04 AM »
This could be a touchy topic with the recent instability in Ukraine but recently I’ve seen articles that show pictures of the golf course at the presidential retreat north of Kiev (Searching Novi Petrivtsi in google gets you close to the property).  In the google satellite images it looks like the course is in construction phases but the photos of Ukrainian people on the grounds show the course has been completed.

In the stories I’ve read the golf course is a sign of opulence and greed.  I’ve also searched a bit and there are less than 10 official golf locations (including ranges) throughout Ukraine.  Golf is undoubtedly an expensive sport and through history golf has generally started with the very rich before it becomes more accessible to the general population.  I also believe the bridge to the general population is employment in the golf industry.  Those who work in the golf industry and the very rich are able to play and the employees with skills bring credibility and interest outside the rich.

I’ve been impressed with the photos from the presidential retreat that no looting or destruction has occurred. Could the golf course survive and be accessible to the general population?  Will it expand?  

Has anyone played in Ukraine or have insight?  Also anyone know who built the course?  Of the big names I only saw Nicklaus with work in Ukraine.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 11:51:58 AM by Joe_Tucholski »

Brian Ross

Re: Golf in Ukraine
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 12:38:08 PM »
I've found myself having some of these same thoughts about golf in Ukraine, mostly brought on by the current struggle for power.  I certainly wouldn't consider any of the former Soviet countries hotbeds for golf, but it would be interesting to hear/see a little more about golf in Eastern Europe from those who have been/played.  Perhaps if Jonathan Davison sees this, he will chime in.  He is based in Bratislava and has done some work in Slovakia and Poland.
Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in.

http://www.rossgolfarchitects.com

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 12:58:04 PM »
Kevin Ramsay of Golfplan had a project to build a course on an island in the Dnieper river, practically opposite downtown Kiev, but I don't believe it has gone anywhere for several years.

Odessa, down in the Crimea, is often touted for gold development too. Generally in Ukraine I would say lots of talk, but little action.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 02:43:50 PM »
Generally in Ukraine I would say lots of talk, but little action.

Golf-wise, maybe.  But for the citizens at large, not this week!

Jonathan Davison

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 02:39:33 AM »
Kiev has two main golf courses, Kiev golf club designed by Peter Chamberlain and also Royal Kiev designed by Martin Hawtree.

I had the pleasure of visiting Kiev last summer to work on a new nine hole project about 40 minutes south of Kiev, a beautiful sandy site with pines. In fact most of Kiev is pure sand. I am not sure if this project will progress at the moment, but for sure Kiev has great land for golf.

Jim McCann

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 06:51:51 AM »
I read an article in "The Times" yesterday that the golf course in the Ukrainian Presidential Palace was "French-designed" so I asked the author for further information via his twitter account.

So far, I'm still waiting for an answer.

Jonathan Davison

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 09:19:08 AM »
French designed and french built. I was invited to have a look at the golf course last year but didn't have time to fit it in my schedule.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 10:31:48 AM »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back