News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lester_Bernham

A Churchyard Game ?
« on: August 17, 2003, 10:50:30 AM »
Guys
Managed to get my hands on a book by David Hamilton called Early Aberdeen Golf . It has some interesting theorys on the early days of Golf , he seems to think it was originally a "Churchyard Game" .

Has this been mentioned before , in any other books etc. ? .

A club and ball game of colf was played in Holland from the thirteenth century onwards but this sport was probably not close to the game of golf as we now know it. Colf was primarily a street game played with a single club. It was popular with children and was not always played towards a hole in the ground, but could be towards a door or post as the target. In Scotland a game of 'golf' is mentioned early (with numerous variations in spelling), and the best known of these references are in the Scottish Ads of Parliament of 1457, 1471 and 1491.

But these brief notices are of little use in revealing the detailed pattern of play. Indeed they hint that early Scottish golf was a confined, churchyard game, possibly played to the kirk door as a target, and early Scottish golf may therefore have resembled 'colf' more closely than has been thought. If Scottish golf at this time was similar to 'colf' then attention shifts from seeking earlier and earlier mentions of the game in Scotland, to asking when the game in Scotland changed into the game we now know.

Some Fragments of information on golf in Aberdeen at this time are already available. Indeed, from Aberdeen in 1538 comes the first known mention of golfers at play in Scotland , in a legal proceedings which describes the plaintiff as 'at the goiff , because thai war partismen [partakers] wyth the said Jhone in wynning and tyinsell...'. A little later golf was included in a list of 'unlawful' games in Aberdeen in 1565, namely 'cartis, dyis, tabilis, goif . . .' . By 1604, gouff was elevated to first on the list of prohibited Sunday sports, suggesting that it had risen to being an important sport in the town.

But there still may have been a churchyard game. In Aberdeen in 1613, a prosecution records that 'Jhone
Allan, cutler, convict, and jhone Allanc buik binder , convict for setting ane goiff ball in the kirk yeard, and striking the same against the kirk'. This brief entry suggests that the churchyard was still the haunt of golfers, and this was perhaps less tolerated than before. When did golf on the town's sandy coastal links emerge? General recreation on these links is mentioned in Aberdeen in 1575, but not until 1661 is golf on the links described. An earlier fascinating mention of holes on the links exists in 1625, when a general muster of the town's men was called for 'in the principall pairt of the linkes betwixt the first hole and the Quenis hole'. Perhaps this refers to other holes such as sand pits, rather than to golf holes, but we can conclude that the game of golf in Aberdeen between 1613 and 1661 was no longer a churchyard game, but was played or beginning to be played over a longer series of holes on the uneven ground nearer the the beach outside of the town.

This evolution of the game seems to have occurred only in Scotland, and not in the Low Countries. It may be that as the Scottish towns grew, the churchyards and other spaces became too cramped for play. Perhaps the golf clubs and balls improved to such an extent that the game required a longer course. But one other factor may have been important. Golf was probably one of the sociable sports played on Sundays when people gathered from afar to attend church. The Reformation in 1558 brought in new, severe attitudes to sport in Scotland and sought to abolish sport on Sundays, at least at the time of the church services. It may be that the players who were denied their game on the flat 'green' round the church moved instead to the remote links outside the town to play their sport, with less chance of public scandal, detection or censure. This evasion may have been necessary only in Scotland: the more liberal Low Countries were perhaps less censorious. Moreover, their game of 'colf' was played in inland towns: there were no adjacent links for year-round recreation. It is not surprising, perhaps, that colf disappeared and evolved into 'kolf', a formal short indoor game, similar to croquet, and played on a court with long mallets and balls.

These factors may explain why it was in Scotland alone that the long golf game of the links emerged from the medieval club and ball game.

Forrest Richardson

Re:A Churchyard Game ?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2003, 11:46:09 AM »
Lester,

I am a believer that "golf" (with a "g") had not much to do with "colf" or "kolf", the Dutch invention. Language confirms this. There being not much that can be linked between the two word except the similarity. "Golf" was written "gawlffe", golfe", "golffe", etc....none of which proximate "kolf", as the Dutch used.

However, certainly kolf clubs and kolf play was likely introduced to Scotland by Dutch traders as early as 1250. The "invention" of "golf", which was in/around the 1400s in my opinion, probably had been influenced by this, although there is little similarity when you consider the two games. This very well could be because the Scots were stubborn....and still are!

Without much doubt it was the Scots who invented golf, as it was the Scots who invented the golf course. One cannot invent golf, or claim so, without also claiming the invention of the golf course. The Dutch, nor any other culture, has the golf course. Only the Scots and English.

I also share the belief that golf was a pseudo courtyard game. There is strong evidence that its popularity early on extended to the town streets and not just the countryside. I'd recommend that you log on to:

http://www.jurekputter.freeserve.co.uk/

Where my friend Jurek Putter — yes, a Dutchman! — illustrates historical images of life in early St. Andrews. He's spent his life at this. On his site you will find a few engravings of golf as he has researched it. Quite interesting.

But still — I fall short of giving credit to the Dutch. Rather, the Scots created the golf course and this is where — with its holes, multiple clubs and individual scores — I see golf beginning. Not among teams playing from ice or merely to distant points of reference; a door, post or wall. While golf may have been played in the streets of St. Andrews and many other cities and towns, I feel it was because it was safer and entertaining. Like a village putting green today might be. But the real golf, that game played by serious players, moved to the countryside and links. Where it was often enjoyed by bands of people both playing and watching.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Lester_Bernham

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2003, 12:18:09 PM »
Forrest
Thanks for the link . Very Interesting .

LB

Paul_Turner

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2003, 12:58:10 PM »
Lester

Thanks very much, very interesting

I think it's futile to strongly assert "..." invented golf.  The modern game obviously mostly resembles the game from St Andrews, but I think the Dutch connection is undeniable with clear similarities between the Scottish/Dutch games.

"golfe" doesn't proximate "kolf"?  Looks quite similar to me.

can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2003, 01:42:15 PM »
Yes, the modern word "golf" does appear similar — very close so — to Dutch "kolf". Unfortunately, "golf" was not spelled as "golf" until the 1700s — some 500 years after the first instances of "kolf" in Dutch translations.

- - -

The Word Golf:

While many believe the connection between the words golf and kolf to be compelling, the spellings of golf through medieval times varied widely. It was not uncommon for words to have significant spelling differences, even within the same document. Gowffe, gouffe, and golfe are but a few of the many examples.

In The Story of Golf, From Its Origins to the Present Day (1972), author Tom Scott offers some interesting thoughts on where the Scots may have come up with gouffe. Besides discussing its possible roots in kolf, Scott points out an old Scottish word, howffe, which meant “meeting place.” He makes an excellent case that in a country of varied dialects, such as Scotland, such a progression involving the sounds of “h” and “g,” would not be too unordinary. Golfers, after all, had to have places to meet, and golf links could very well have been named for this big-picture need. Interestingly, Scott does not connect howffe to the Dutch word hof, a word for “courtyard.” Perhaps this would only add fuel to the Dutch argument that golf might have come from their game kolven. It is also quite thought-provoking of Scott to call attention to the Scottish word gulfe, which means “bay.” Could there be a connection between these words? It would have been quite logical for the word golf to have roots in a word that describes land along the coast where golf had become popular.

Golf has so much to do with the physical ground — the land, the course, and the meeting place — that it would make great sense if its name somehow stems from these elements.

[From Routing the Golf Course / John Wiley & Sons]
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2003, 01:47:58 PM »
Kolven/Kolf..... No hole.... therefore nae gowfe.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2003, 02:30:43 PM »
In the original piece on this thread the timeframe for the leap away from people seems believable with the first documented death from a golf ball was in 1637? 47?

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2003, 07:31:32 PM »
Actually, Bob, there is evidence that kolven (kolf) had been played to a hole. But still:

-- No array of clubs (more than one)
-- Teams mostly, not individuals
-- No golf holes (series of targets)
-- No courses
-- Ice mostly, not grassy fields
-- No score accumulated per trek; i.e., a person counting until reaching the target

www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Paul_Turner

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2003, 11:29:41 PM »
A hole in Kolven-that's interesting.  The lack of a hole was always the backbone of the anti-Dutch argument.  Personally, I never found that argument very convincing since there were still plenty of similarities.  Sports aren't invented in a vacuum-there are all kinds of influences.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2003, 09:11:22 AM »
Paul, "...plenty of similarities...."  What? A club and a ball? This is not golf.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Kenny Lee Puckett

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2003, 01:58:09 PM »
"Out to Ships"
"Into to town"?

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2003, 02:07:52 PM »
Forrest.

For the life of me I have found no reference to holing out in Kolven. Poling out, yes, staking out, yes, but HOLING?

Help me out here, please.  

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2003, 05:27:43 PM »
Bob,

It depends on who you speak with. I will look for the reference to holes in the ice and kolven. It was not holes in the ground, but ice that I recall reading a few years back.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back