News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul_Turner

North Jersey GC
« on: August 19, 2003, 09:10:07 PM »
An astute friend of mine, thinks this is a decent course.  Good rolling terrain and a super set of greens.  The architect is? Travis or Emmet, I can't recall.

Anyone know this course?  Matt, Patrick...?
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

GeoffreyC

Re:North Jersey GC
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2003, 10:29:08 PM »
Paul

I played it in an MGA tournament about 10-12 years ago. Its a Travis course.  The property has many elevation changes that dictated quite a few blind shots. I recall the greens being quite interesting with slope and typically (for Travis) set into natural locations.  It has enough quirk to make some dislike it but I don't think you fit into that category.  :)

Matt_Ward

Re:North Jersey GC
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2003, 12:24:43 PM »
Paul:

North Jersey CC is located in Wayne Township -- about 15 miles west of NYC. It is a Travis course and the key item when playing the course is the number of blindshots oyu face during the round.

I would not rate the course among the top 50 in the Garden State personally but that doesn't mean there aren't a number of special holes. The 2nd is a good long par-4 that calls for an uphill tee shot followed by a long iron for most to a narrow green that has a second tier towards the rear of the surface. It is well crafted and always a tough four.

The 5th and 6th are also good par-4's.

One of my favorite holes and it was selected by me on my column in Jersey Golfer as being one of the best par-3's is the 13th -- which plays about 165 yards to a green perched in front of a hillside with no bunkers in front of the green. The putting surface runs a good distance from left to right and the putting surface is quite narrow. Pulling the correct club is a must. Go too short and the chip is a tough one -- fly too long and you're last name needs to be Ballesteros to secure a par. A well done hole that isn't overdone but NEVER suffers fools.

One of the major changes the club carried forward a short time ago is the changing of the 16th hole. Previously, the tee was located to the left of the par-3 15th. It played no more than 340-350 yards and featured a superb sloping green. The club decided to extend the hole and now the tee is to the right of the 15th and set further back -- likely another 50-60 yards. The green has been kept as is and the hole is now a much tougher play for those lacking clout off the tee.

One other thing -- do not hit driver on the 12th -- if you do it's a guaranteed lost ball as the hole plays to a fairway that stops at 240 yards before plummeting to the green below!

I have never liked the final two holes at North Jersey. The 17th, a par-5, has a creek that keeps the longer hitters from using driver -- it's somewhat similar to what you saw with Oak HillEast's 13th hole in terms of the tee shot requirements.

The 18th at North Jersey plays aout 400 yards or so and the second shot is always blind to a saucer like green.

All in all, North Jersey is an above average private club and worth a look for the spots that it is has but there are quite a few other holes that are merely pro forma type stuff IMHO.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back