News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

SB

Re: The Links Club - Now with Photos
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2022, 10:37:33 PM »
Welcome to the board.  I am definitely looking forward to the pictures.  I would offer to post them for you but I am also technologically challenged.

Richard DeMenna

« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2022, 11:06:58 PM »
https://photos.app.goo.gl/YNJYrvop8j9ukz228

Hole 1 Leven - Shown from the teebox. The trap extending from the left rough to about the center of the fairway was about a 180 yard carry off the tee. The right trap further down the hole was about 220 yards from the tee. Three guarded traps surrounded the green. The center and right trap were deep while the left trap was about level to the green. The mounds before the green gave the hole character. During tournament play the flagstick was often placed behind them thus making this 300 yard hole more difficult than it looked.

On a side note, to the right of teebox was the practice range and to the right of that was the 10th fairway. It was a caddie's nightmare when the range was full of practice balls and an errant tee shot from either the 1st and 10th hole found a home there! There were no yardage markers on the course and as mentioned in a previous posting never a rake could be found.

Richard DeMenna

« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2022, 11:13:35 PM »
https://photos.app.goo.gl/sdEwuNSKyFfiGTmF7

Hole 3 Biarritz - Shown from the teebox. This was a picturesque hole for sure. The horseshoe trap was one of the deepest on the course. Perhaps the most outstanding feature of this hole was the green. Swales were prevalent throughout the green. The fairway gully before the green was not deep and would not affect a short shot from rolling on to the green.  The trap did have a grass break in the gully to allow foot traffic to the 4th tee. Also, behind the right corner of the green is a distant layout of the 18th hole including the traps adjacent to the green.

Caddies were always pleased to have their players land on the green. This allowed us to leave the player's bag at the base of the tee box by the 4th hole fairway and hand carry the putter for Hole 3 and the driver for Hole 4.  The 4th tee is evident with close examination. This fairway heads back in the direction of the 3rd tee box. To the left of 4th fairway (not shown) was the 17th fairway.

Richard DeMenna

« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2022, 11:28:17 PM »
https://photos.app.goo.gl/sr5zCe8Ag5ynaD1C9

Hole 7 Mounds - Shown halfway between tee and green. To the right of the green the tee box for the 8th hole is evident.  The 7th had the smallest green on the course. The second shot, if landed on the green, did however hold well. For what its worth, the sand traps on this hole always seemed far less coarser than all of the other traps. The distant fairway trap before the green traps was reachable with an all out drive. I also remember a few long time members telling of a fairway trap, more reachable on a drive, removed well before my tenure.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 12:04:28 AM by Richard DeMenna »

Richard DeMenna

« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2022, 11:32:40 PM »
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3gAZYNfFvc4VxLq8A

Hole 10 Club - Shown about 150-160 yards to the green with side entrance to the clubhouse. Directly across the clubhouse was the club pro shop. The asphalt drive before the green brought you to the parking lot. The 10th was the number 1 stroke hole. There were traps on both sides of the green. The right trap was one of the deepest traps on the course.  It was difficult for the ball to hold on the green. The slope from the front to back was always mentioned to the golfers I caddied for before their shot to the green.I am modifying this post today (2/18/22) in order to include an aerial view of the hole which was not available when this post was first created.

The layout of the hole can be viewed in the upper portion of the picture going from left to right.  Hole 1 and 9 are fully shown as well. The majority of Hole 11 and 18 can also be viewed. Other highlights are Hole 8 green, Hole 2 tee boxes, the driving range (between Hole 1 and 10 fairway), and the small member parking lot.  One interesting tidbit I failed to mention on this hole was that caddies were required to walk ahead on the course prior to the players second shot. There was a nice graphically designed sign (perhaps the original) staked near the second right fairway trap to remind players of this requirement.  This was necessary for the safety of persons crossing the fairway to the clubhouse. At that vantage point there was a dip in the fairway and foot traffic could not be seen. Caddies would wave the players on when the coast was clear.
Hole-Ten-1984-Aerial

Here is edited picture courtesy of Tom Doak showing Hole 10 Championship tee box.  It was squeezed in behind Hole 9 right rear trap.

Hole-10-Red-Tees
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 08:23:27 PM by Richard DeMenna »

Richard DeMenna

« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2022, 11:46:06 PM »
https://photos.app.goo.gl/5sVzorHgD4heNgVb8

Hole 11 Pond - Shown after a successful drive although long hitters could reach the pond. Most of the time the tee was placed at regular course 420 yards requiring a layup for most of the long hitters. This made it a tougher par five than on paper. The base of the pond to the green was about a 180 yard carry.

The tall tree to the right was in close proximity of the 12th tee box.  That tee box was originally located on the other side of the tree. It was relocated (well before my tenure)after too many sprayed tee shots from the 18th hole.  Far in the distance, in front of a cluster of trees, was the 12th green. That green was two level.

Here is a picture of the aerial view of the hole (added 2/18/2022).  This also shows the majority of Hole 18.Hole-11-1984-Aerial
Unfortunately this is the last of my Links photos. I wish there were more to share including the 13th Redan Hole. Had I known the history of this design a picture would surely be in my album. It was a hole caddies never had much to say good things about. It should be noted that the tee box had four levels to it. One final note about the 13th.  One of my most memorable shots on the Links was on this hole when I had a two inch tap in birdie.

Tomorrow I hope to post a few newspaper clippings outlining the closure of the closure.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 06:09:11 PM by Richard DeMenna »

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2022, 12:40:06 AM »
Greetings All,

Recently I discovered this informative site and in particular this thread. This is a trip down memory lane as I caddied at this course from 1966-1982 (minus two interrupted periods 1970-1974 and 1977-1979). I was fortunate to reach the number one caddie position in the fall of 1975 and maintained that position until the spring of 1977. At that time, a career change had me move to the west coast for a two year period.

This thread certainly brings back many happy memories. I enjoyed my time there as a caddie for the rich and famous, earning spending money, and perhaps the best part playing countless rounds of golf. That was once members were off the course for the day!  I will be happy to discuss any simple questions concerning the architectural design of the course. There were some minor changes to the course that have not been mentioned in the previous threads.

Fortunately, not knowing the forbidden rule of taking photos of the course, I have a small collection of pictures for some of the golf holes. Additionally, I have a few newspaper clippings discussing the eventual death of this one of a kind establishment.  At the moment I am having issues posting images to the thread but hopefully this will get resolved. Stay tuned.....

Richard,

Thanks very much for bringing this thread forward. I don’t recall seeing it when it was created.

Reading Tom Paul’s description of the reverse Redan was a treat. It was truly GolfClubAtlas at its very best.

Tom Doak’s participation in the thread also stands out for me as his true love and appreciation for golf course architecture comes across beautifully even with the sense of loss and sadness he conveys.

It is only fitting the Tommy Naccarato chimed in as well and his mention of telephone conversations with Tom Paul brings back my own memories. As with Tom Doak, the true love comes out.

Thanks again. Very nice of you.
Tim Weiman

MCirba

« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2022, 07:51:24 AM »
Wow....Never saw this thread before.

I somehow now miss this course without having ever seen it, much less played there.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Jim Sherma

« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2022, 11:11:49 AM »
The Biarritz photo is wonderful. What a visual to step up to and then have to pull the trigger.

Richard - Thanks for bringing these photos and memories to our attention. Was the front part of the Biarritz maintained as green or fairway? The back section appears brighter in the photo making me think only that was green, but it could be a trick of the light.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2022, 11:16:32 AM »
The Biarritz photo is wonderful. What a visual to step up to and then have to pull the trigger.

Richard - Thanks for bringing these photos and memories to our attention. Was the front part of the Biarritz maintained as green or fairway? The back section appears brighter in the photo making me think only that was green, but it could be a trick of the light.

Jim:

The aerials from earlier in thread suggest that the swale and everything in front of it were not maintained as green.

Be interested to hear from Richard if that was the case when he was there.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Scott Sander

« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2022, 11:36:11 AM »
Wonderful.

(edit to remove redundant question)

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2022, 02:26:33 PM »
Richard, great pictures.
Was there any elevation difference from the 3rd tee to the the 3rd green? It appears slightly uphill (to me) in that photo. Did members struggle with it or embrace it?
Thanks.

Tim Martin

« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2022, 03:46:51 PM »
Richard-Welcome to the site and thank you for the terrific photos and descriptions. The only evidence of a building so far in any of the pictures is the clubhouse and I didn’t know what other outbuildings might have been on the property aside from a maintenance area which has yet to be revealed. Even with Lido, the original Deepdale and The Links Club gone the Macdonald/Raynor footprint is still incredibly strong in Nassau County. Finally any other photos and or commentary would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 03:48:41 PM by Tim Martin »

Robert Kimball

« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2022, 03:48:48 PM »
I'm so happy to see this topic still active on the site.  I pulled down my Bahto book last night and re-read his chapter on the Links.

What a fascinating golf course, and membership, that must have been!

Tim Martin

« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2022, 04:02:26 PM »
I'm so happy to see this topic still active on the site.  I pulled down my Bahto book last night and re-read his chapter on the Links.

What a fascinating golf course, and membership, that must have been!

Robert-I wonder what kind of membership overlap there was with the Blind Brook Club?

Richard DeMenna

« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2022, 04:07:10 PM »
Thank you all for the warm welcome on this site. Sharing a piece of Americana from a bygone era never gets old! I will certainly answer all of questions directed to me when I am finished posting additional material. Again thanks for all of the compliments and the warm reception.

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2022, 04:08:56 PM »

I have been in communication with Richard. He remains unable to post photos. With his approval, I am re-posting his posts with his photos included

Hole 1 Leven  by Richard DeMenna

Hole 1 Leven - Shown from the teebox. The trap extending from the left rough to about the center of the fairway was about a 180 yard carry off the tee. The right trap further down the hole was about 220 yards from the tee. Three guarded traps surrounded the green. The center and right trap were deep while the left trap was about level to the green. The mounds before the green gave the hole character. During tournament play the flagstick was often placed behind them thus making this 300 yard hole more difficult than it looked.

On a side note, to the right of teebox was the practice range and to the right of that was the 10th fairway. It was a caddie's nightmare when the range was full of practice balls and an errant tee shot from either the 1st and 10th hole found a home there! There were no yardage markers on the course and as mentioned in a previous posting never a rake could be found.

John McCarthy

« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2022, 04:09:37 PM »
Richard:

Thanks for your addition to the discussion of a much talked about but seldom seen club. 
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2022, 04:11:18 PM »

Hole 3 Biarritz  by Richard DeMenna

Hole 3 Biarritz - Shown from the teebox. This was a picturesque hole for sure. The horseshoe trap was one of the deepest on the course. Perhaps the most outstanding feature of this hole was the green. Swales were prevalent throughout the green. The fairway gully before the green was not deep and would not affect a short shot from rolling on to the green.  The trap did have a grass break in the gully to allow foot traffic to the 4th tee. Also, behind the right corner of the green is a distant layout of the 18th hole including the traps adjacent to the green.

Caddies were always pleased to have their players land on the green. This allowed us to leave the player's bag at the base of the tee box by the 4th hole fairway and hand carry the putter for Hole 3 and the driver for Hole 4.  The 4th tee is evident with close examination. This fairway heads back in the direction of the 3rd tee box. To the left of 4th fairway (not shown) was the 17th fairway.

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2022, 04:13:29 PM »

Hole 7 Mounds by Richard DeMenna

Hole 7 Mounds - Shown halfway between tee and green. To the right of the green the tee box for the 8th hole is evident.  The 7th had the smallest green on the course. The second shot, if landed on the green, did however hold well. For what its worth, the sand traps on this hole always seemed far less coarser than all of the other traps. The distant fairway trap before the green traps was reachable with an all out drive. I also remember a few long time members telling of a fairway trap, more reachable on a drive, removed well before my tenure.

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2022, 04:15:36 PM »

Hole 10 Club  by Richard DeMenna

Hole 10 Club - Shown about 150-160 yards to the green with side entrance to the clubhouse. Directly across the clubhouse was the club pro shop. The asphalt drive before the green brought you to the parking lot. The 10th was the number 1 stroke hole. There were traps on both sides of the green. The right trap was one of the deepest traps on the course.  It was difficult for the ball to hold on the green. The slope from the front to back was always mentioned to the golfers I caddied for before their shot to the green.

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2022, 04:17:06 PM »

Hole 11 Pond  by Richard DeMenna

Hole 11 Pond - Shown after a successful drive although long hitters could reach the pond. Most of the time the tee was placed at regular course 420 yards requiring a layup for most of the long hitters. This made it a tougher par five than on paper. The base of the pond to the green was about a 180 yard carry.

The tall tree to the right was in close proximity of the 12th tee box.  That tee box was orginally located on the other side of the tree. It was relocated (well before my tenure)after too many sprayed tee shots from the 18th hole.  Far in the distance, in front of a cluster of trees, was the 12th green. That green was two level.

Unfortunately this is the last of my Links photos. I wish there were more to share including the 13th Redan Hole. Had I known the history of this design a picture would surely be in my album. It was a hole caddies never had much to say good things about. It should be noted that the tee box had four levels to it. One final note about the 13th.  One of my most memorable shots on the Links was on this hole when I had a two inch tap in birdie.

Tomorrow I hope to post a few newspaper clippings outlining the closure of the closure.

Richard DeMenna

« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2022, 06:40:02 PM »
My next set of postings consist of newspaper clippings from Long Island base Newsday.  I am sort of stepping out of my comfort zone here, as at the time of these clippings (1983 and 1984), I was no longer living in the area.  My tenure as a caddie at the Links ended after the 1982 fall golfing season.  Hopefully my recollection of the demise of the Club will not contradict other previous posters and in particular the writings of George Bahto.  It is certainly not my intention.

In early 1983, I moved to Thomasville, Georgia. This town is home to Glen Arven Country Club. The golf course is one of the oldest in the country with an establishment date of 1892.  Ironically, influential Links member Jock Whitney (mentioned in previous posts) was a member of Glen Arven as well.  History buffs will remember he was in the foursome at Glen Arven with President Eisenhower, when after finishing the steep 18th hole par 5, announced his intentions of securing a second term in office.

It was highly rumored at the start of 1982 that the Links Golf Club would see its final year. Actually, the longevity of the Club always seemed in doubt since 1979 when it went under contract with real estate developers.  However I vividly remember being told at the time by the golf pro, Joe Phillips and his wife Julie, that the Club will always remain in operation while Jock Whitney is alive (he died in February 1982).

The scuttlebutt on the sale of the Club in 1979 was purely financial.  The membership at the time, in my opinion, was sound and it remained that way until my tenure at the Club ended.  I still remember some of the golfers in my 1982 loops buzzing about the Tom Watson U.S. Open birdie chip out of the rough on the 17th hole.

Whether the Club was in operation in 1983 I cannot say for sure. The first news clipping sent by my family on the operating status of the Club appeared May 4, 1983. The article somewhat suggests the inactivity of the Club.  Also,  I remember my Christmas card to the Phillips' at the end of the year was returned to sender.  Perhaps someone in the possession of the Bahto book can provide some insight to the actual year of closure.

The May 3, 1983 clipping follows.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 08:37:27 PM by Richard DeMenna »

Richard DeMenna

« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2022, 06:50:16 PM »
September 19, 1984

« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 08:40:31 PM by Richard DeMenna »

Richard DeMenna

« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2022, 06:53:51 PM »
Fall 1984 Article (Obviously this law had no bearing on the outcome of the situation)

« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 08:46:14 PM by Richard DeMenna »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back