News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard DeMenna

Re: The Links Club - Now with Photos
« Reply #125 on: February 20, 2022, 11:59:51 AM »
Hole 17 - Meadow

Hole-17-Meadow

This above 1984 aerial shows the red and green tee box near the left center border of the picture besides a cluster of trees. White tees were around 50 yards further up.  Hole 13 green was behind off center from the tee box while Hole 16 green was in close proximity. 

The shot off the tee was wide open although it was critical to drive the ball left of center.  The fairway right of center had a severe downward slope beginning about 160-170 yards off the men tees that would direct the ball into an inverted v shaped mini fairway  ravine.  Considerable distance was lost if hit in that direction.  There was little elevation change, if staying left of center, for approximately the first 200 yards. Longer drives to the left could sometimes reach a fairway wide ridgeline to a now descending fairway and achieve considerable roll. About 120 yards from the green a steep incline began.  Shots short of the green would usually not hold and run  down the fairway. 

The green was well protected on the left and right with deep bunkers.  I believe there was a set of 2 or 3 mounds (similar to Hole 1 and 7) before the right green-side trap. The very first post of this thread mentions the green was undulating.  In all honesty I can not remember at all the putting surface of the green.  The green though, as mentioned in this post, was at the the highest level of the course.  That is for sure!

This concludes my recollection of the course layout.  I appreciate the opportunity to reminisce about my time spent on the Links.  As I have mentioned in the past, I will be happy to answer any followup questions in the days, months, and hopefully years ahead. I will be 70 on Tuesday!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 05:53:19 PM by Richard DeMenna »

Richard DeMenna

« Reply #126 on: December 12, 2022, 05:57:43 PM »
Greetings All! I am back to revive this thread yet again. While working on another project over the weekend I stumbled across a nice side view picture of the Hole 10 green.  As I mentioned previously, shots to this green were difficult to hold due to the descending slope from front to back. The attached picture displays the slope. Also, the deep right hand trap is clearly evident. The picture was taken near the defunct Vanderbilt Motor Parkway (VMP) private entrance to the club.

One side note on the private entrance road. The stretch of the VMP between New Hyde Park and Shelter Rock Roads bordered a good portion of the Links GC property. Each entrance to the old highway was gated preventing any public access. It was pretty much undisturbed during the operation of the club, only being used by utility trucks with LILCO, the local energy company.  On one memorable occasion in the late 70's, waiting for a group of caddies from nearby Deepdale GC to assist us in a tournament, a car arrived into the club via the private entrance. They were able to navigate the road due to the gate being opened at New Hyde Park Road. It could have been the first time the entrance was used after the demise of the road some 40 years earlier. It was a sight to be seen!

The posted picture was secured from VanderbiltCupRaces.com website.  The specific link housing this photo is
https://www.vanderbiltcupraces.com/blog/article/mystery_friday_foto_3_a_unique_opening_on_the_long_island_motor_parkwayThis website also shows additional posts with cool aerials of the area around the Links including the old Glen Oaks Club that was located nearby at the Queens/Nassau County border.

MP-Entrance-2

« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 09:24:37 AM by Richard DeMenna »

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #127 on: January 02, 2023, 09:13:44 AM »
Richard directed my attention to a New York Times article from August 20th, 1989.  This article notes that North Hills was started by 60 families that owned 1700 acres of adjoining land in North Hempstead. By the 1970’s the zoning laws had been changed to pursue development, against the wishes of many of the original founders of the village.  This article paints a picture of the inevitable demise of the Links Golf Club. 
I had a little trouble posting this article.  To read the article, read the entire top page first then jump back to the left column after the page break.

New York Times., August 20, 1989:

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #128 on: January 05, 2023, 05:13:44 AM »
This is the first time I have seen this thread since I posted to it over two years ago.  It is simply astounding.  Thanks so much to all of you who have contributed

Given what has occurred over the last two years in Wisconsin, I have one question...probably directed toward Tom Doak.  Tom...do you think that Peter Flory has any interest in doing another 18 hole computerized recreation...perhaps that you or someone else could use to recreate The Links.  I know Peter was working with the Newport crowd to get info on the nine holer that Tommy Tailer created just west of Newport CC.  Think he might have an interest in The Links?

Paul

Colin Sheehan

« Reply #129 on: May 09, 2023, 08:54:39 PM »
Richard,
I've loved reading your comments on this thread.
And for a while, I've been wanting to share with you a facsimile of one of the early cards with a few edits. Just had it pressed here in New Haven. Let me know if I can mail you a few copies.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CsCp13wti6C/

Richard DeMenna

« Reply #130 on: May 12, 2023, 08:13:48 PM »
Thank you Colin for your kind words. I sent you a PM with my mailing address.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back