GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

The Links Club - Now with Photos

(1/27) > >>

Sven Nilsen:
In one of the threads that has gone by the wayside due to the recent unpleasantness, Tom Doak indicated he had some old slides of The Links Club that he would be willing to dig up from the archives.

Before moving on to the actual photos themselves, here's some background on the club.  Please chime in with any additional information, or any recollections of what we were discussing in the original thread.

Built from 1917-19 by Charles B. MacDonald and Seth Raynor, the course was heralded as the "severest" test:

Here's an early list of shareholders:

A routing map:

A scorecard (note the hole names):

A 1924 overhead shot:

An aerial view (and an overlay of the routing):

Here's an article discussing the demise of the course:

Finally, an overhead shot of what the site looks like today:

Sven Nilsen:
Quick side note before moving on.

The club bordered the Long Island Motor Parkway (a phenomenon worthy of its own study).  The Parkway was a private roadway running along the breadth of Long Island.  There are reports of a handful of secret entrances along the way, including one from the grounds of The Links Club (pictured below).  Once you track the involvement of William K. Vanderbilt in both enterprises, it all makes sense.

It does beg the question if the proximity to the LIMP made the choice of the location for the club that much easier.

Sven Nilsen:
One more quick note.

If you go back through the old maps on the Historic Aerials site, in the 1947 version the location of The Links Club is identified as "Guggenheim Golf Club."  I am guessing that the map is wrong, and that they mistakenly labeled this spot with the name of the course located a little further north in Sands Point.  This course, now known as the Village Club of Sands Point (reworked by Renaissance a little while back) was once the site of the Guggenheim estate before being purchased by IBM to be used for corporate retreats.

Sven

Tom_Doak:
Sven:

Thanks for putting this up, I hope the pictures translate well from slides to digital to DG.

Funny to see Charles Sabin (who owned the property that's now Sebonack) on the list of owners for the Corporation.  I guess he was in on the ground floor of many of CBM's ventures.  Amazing to see all those names again ... I guess I've been networking in the wrong way for my own business by spending time here.

Your illustration of the routing is mostly accurate, but the tee for #16 was over to the right (in the little nook of trees near 15 green) and the tee for #15 was back by #5 green (I don't remember exactly how it fit, but you'll see from the photo that the line of the hole was clearly from over there).

I'll try to get back to comment on the photos once they're up.

PCCraig:
This is awesome, Sven. I'm really looking forward to this thread. Thank you putting it together.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version