News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris_Hufnagel

Re: Ralph Livingston
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2012, 08:58:09 PM »
Below is a nice article that was written by James Davis that appeared on the "Society of Hickory Golfers" website this weekend - I am posting this and attaching a link without permission (my apologies), but I thought many of you might be interested in learning more about the man...

Link
http://www.hickorygolfers.com/ralph-livingston-iii-was-modern-hickory-golf-pioneer_277_a.aspx

Article
Ralph Livingston III was modern hickory golf pioneer
by James Davis
August 18, 2012
"Hickory golf is a challenging sport. If you don't like the challenge, go take up putt putt golf."
Ralph Livingston III was nothing if not passionately devoted to the game he embraced in the early 90s. His research into authentic hickory equipment and their relationship with the golf course architecture of the time led to ground-breaking theories of the game's methods and the methodology of early club and cleek makers. Mr. Livingston, 54, passed away early on the morning of Aug. 17 at his home in Grand Rapids, Mich. For several years he had battled a persistent brain tumor. When the tumor failed to respond to treatments, Mr. Livingston's health began to decline rapidly. His many friends and acquaintances will always remember a robust hickory player who would occasionally stop by a bunker or green on an older course and remark how it had been changed over time, usually for the worse.

He is survived by his wife, Krista; parents Ralph II and Joanne Livingston; two brothers, Kevin and Scott; and a sister, Donna; all of Grand Rapids. The family plans a quiet observance at the Kingsley Club near Traverse City, Mich., where Mr. Livingston was a long-time member.

Mr. Livingston was an avid supporter and member of the Golf Collectors Society, the British Golf Collectors Society, a founding member of the Society of Hickory Golfers, and a founding member of the James Braid Society. He and British golf historian David Hamiliton founded the Hickory Grail, an international fixture of the BGCS. The Grail is a biennial Ryder Cup-style match between European and U.S. members of the BGCS. The Ralph Livingston Medal is awarded at Grail matches to a golfer for contributions to hickory golf. Mr. Livingston took pride in winning the Scottish Hickory Champion title in 1999 and 2001. He was an early visitor to the Oakhurst Golf Links in White Sulphur Springs, W. Va., and an enthusiastic supporter of the National Hickory Championship, a pre-1900s golf competition, in which he was a fixture for many years. In 2009, after several years absence, Mr. Livingston and his wife, Krista, traveled to White Sulphur Springs to attend the NHC and to receive the championship's Dundee Prize, awarded at the director's discretion "to a golfer who has exhibited stalwart principles of sportsmanship and exceptional golfing spirit."

Mr. Livingston's book, "Thomas Stewart Jr. – Golf Cleek an Iron Maker" (2010, Gilson Graphics, limited edition) was the culmination of years of research into Stewart's club making expertise and a serious attempt to describe what the clubs were intended to do, why they were made the way they were. No other golf book presents such a exhaustive and lucid examination of a single club maker.

In earlier years, Mr. Livingston could nearly always be counted upon to visit the annual and regional meetings of the GCS, where his display table would be laden with Stewart clubs. He was a ready conversationalist about hickory golf and held strong opinions about its various aspects and the necessity for hickory players to approach the sport with due diligence regarding original equipment in order to thoroughly understand the game as it was played and the intimate relationship between original equipment and the golf courses of the day.

His website, www.hickorygolf.com, became a legendary go-to site for novice as well as established players. Here they could learn more about the clubs, restoration and maintenance techniques, find hickory golf events, the basics of building a play set of clubs, and much more. Such was his importance to modern hickory golf that movie producers would seek him out for advice on the authenticity of clubs to use in their period-golf films. His clubs occupy starring roles in "The Legend of Bagger Vance," and the "The Greatest Game Ever Played."

Much more can, and will, be said about his contributions to hickory golf in the days to come. Perhaps his greatest contribution, however, is the number of players he inspired to take up hickory golf. Countless are those in this golfing niche who will say they first learned of hickory golf from Ralph, or purchased their first clubs from him. Mr. Livingston passed many happy hours in his workship building playsets for new players or finishing specific clubs for experienced players. His craftsmanship was superb. He crafted a model of an early Morris playclub that was approved for play at Oakhurst.

His workshop may be quiet now, but his love for the game has been well established in the many hundreds of us who carry on the sport he so enjoyed.

Far and Sure, Ralph.

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2012, 07:26:28 AM »
Geoff Shackelford now has a piece up about Ralph and some links to various items on the internet...

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2012/8/19/rip-ralph-livingston.html

David Harshbarger

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2012, 07:37:15 AM »
The world is a lesser place without Ralph Livingston and his enthusiasm.  I came to know of him only a few short months ago, as a fixture in encouraging the joys of playing with hickory clubs.  I could not imagine his time with us was soon to end.  God bless his family and friends.

Dave
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Garland Bayley

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2012, 06:04:07 PM »
We'll miss you Ralph.

My condolences to his loved ones.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2012, 09:40:21 AM »
Ralph was a good friend and a great ambassador for the game, especially true lovers of golf.  He loved the basic intentions of the game and purity of it.  He loved talking about it, with anybody.  He loved playing it (and walking, too - no carts for Ralph).  All the recollections here are wonderful, especially Chris H's and Jim Davis's in the SOHG note.  Not enough can be said for what Ralph did for hickory golf.

I really don't know what to add right now, but I am sure Ralph is taking that phenomenal niblick of his and bashing balls out of the weeds, as he would not give himself a drop. 

Play on, my friend!

Mike

John Mayhugh

« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2012, 10:36:59 PM »
I didn't know Ralph well, but in my few conversations with him he was a great supporter & resource for those considering hickory play.  Another great loss for this community.

Jim Colton

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2013, 08:19:48 PM »
Our friend Chris Hufnagel is honoring Ralph's legacy in a touching way:

http://hundredholehike.com/blogs/round-ralph

Howard Riefs

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2013, 11:01:49 AM »
Our friend Chris Hufnagel is honoring Ralph's legacy in a touching way:

http://hundredholehike.com/blogs/round-ralph

A great tribute and perhaps my only opportunity to outdrive Chris on a few holes during the HHH.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2014, 10:40:43 AM »
A snowy morning in Michigan and in my office, having a bit of a hard time getting motivated to get some actual work done...

I was on the Society of Hickory Golfers website just now and saw that the remaining unsold copies of Ralph's book, Tom Stewart – Golf Cleek and Iron Maker have been purchased and are for sale.  I know several GCAer's had previously mentioned having a difficult time tracking down a copy, so I thought I would post this for your information.  I have no affiliation with Mr. Gibbs, but rather thought some of you might be interested to see this book and learn a little more about hickory golf, Tom Stewart, and the late Ralph Livingston.

For Sale – Tom Stewart – Golf Cleek and Iron Maker, by Ralph Livingston III;  I have purchased the remaining copies of Ralph Livingston's Tom Stewart paperback books. They are being offered at the same price of $50 plus $6.95 shipping. Contact me by email: philc.gibbs69@yahoo.com or call me at 480-664-8869. Phil Gibbs.

Also, yesterday I took one more step into the dark world of hickory golf - I started construction of a workshop in my basement.  Even though I lack any semblance of "handiness" or skills with tools, I am going to take a pass at re-gripping, re-whipping, re-shafting, shellac'ing, re-pinning, etc. my own hickories...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 10:45:07 AM by Chris_Hufnagel »

Mike Policano

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2014, 01:37:21 PM »
Chris,

Check out the SOHG newsletter, The Wee Nip. They just started a series of very detailed articles by Tim ALPAUGH, The Hickory Doctor, on restoring hickories.

Cheers

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back