News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Shimp

Re: Courses that "Elate" AND "Deflate"
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2013, 07:55:56 AM »
Ocean course.  Front 9 really isn't that difficult and I tend to score well and have a fast start.  Problems for me increase on holes 11-13 although 11 isn't that hard or long.  That long stretch of holes almost always into the wind from 5-13 grinds me down and usually I've given most of the round away.  When the course turns back with the wind to finish I'm usually riding higher with good birdie chances at 15, 16 and 2 excellent finishing holes and a great bar right after that.

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2013, 10:07:21 AM »
Bandon Dunes.

I thought bandon Dunes was awesome from the 2nd hole on and I was so excited to be playing it.

15 and 16 are INCREDIBLE, 17 is good, but 18 is was a let down to me...not that difficult par 5.

still love the course as a whole though.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2013, 10:14:58 AM »
Joel...

I'm almost lock step with you regarding Bandon Trails.  

Tobacco Road elates and deflates me.  Some of the most epic holes of all time are on the course and some really weird ones too.

Black Diamond Ranch Quarry course.

Fishers Island...perhaps the most ecstatically good run of holes I've ever played, 3-5 (or 6 or 7)...and then some eh holes...then some WOW holes...and some eh.

Royal New Kent...again, like Tobacco Road, some crazy good holes...and moments of WTF?!?

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2013, 12:54:13 PM »
I agree Mac about Black Diamond Quarry..13-17 are incredible...18 boring and bad way to finish

Thomas Dai

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2013, 03:37:07 PM »
Cruden Bay is a great shout.  World class holes from 3-8, a bit of a blip, a few more good holes then a seriously weak finish, including one of the worst par 3s I have played.
Suggest folk who feel like this, and I can certainly see where they're coming from, play holes 1-7 on the Championship course followed by the short walk to holes 17 & 18. Then make the equally short walk to the 1st tee of the St Olaf course and play that courses 9-holes. I always thought this was the best of CB, even though I quite like holes 11, 12, 13, 15 (yes 15) and 16 on the Championship course.
ATB

Sean_A

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2013, 05:05:22 PM »
Cruden Bay is a great shout.  World class holes from 3-8, a bit of a blip, a few more good holes then a seriously weak finish, including one of the worst par 3s I have played.
Suggest folk who feel like this, and I can certainly see where they're coming from, play holes 1-7 on the Championship course followed by the short walk to holes 17 & 18. Then make the equally short walk to the 1st tee of the St Olaf course and play that courses 9-holes. I always thought this was the best of CB, even though I quite like holes 11, 12, 13, 15 (yes 15) and 16 on the Championship course.
ATB

I rather like Cruden Bay's finish.  16 is a very good and tough par 3. 17 is a excellent par 4.  18 requires a very good drive to leave a relatively easy approach.  Cruden Bay is one of the relatively small number of well known courses where my opinion went up after a revisit.  

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Niall C

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2013, 07:59:32 AM »
Sean

I only played it the once but did go back at a later date to have a look at Frank's par 3. I don't disagree that second time round would be much better with a bit of prior knowledge.

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back