News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard_Mandell

Re: New Golf Courses opening in 2014
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2013, 04:14:09 PM »
Here is the link to a blog done by Keller Grounds Superintendent Paul Diegnau.  He documented the whole Keller Golf Course Renovation process here.

http://kellerrenovation.blogspot.com/2013_09_01_archive.html

RJ_Daley

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2013, 06:37:06 PM »
Thanks for the link, Richard.

The seeding of greens on our local county course project seems on about the same time schedule as Keller.  All 18 greens remodeling here have been new XDG drains in native soil, and regrading of some of the green slopes ( :-\) and reseeding of Luminary cultivar, which has high marks on turf tests.

I wonder what your project has seeded on greens, tees and FWs, and if it is growing in this fabulous weather we've had this past 6-8weeks.  Our greens are absolutely growing the best I've ever seen a grow-in around these parts.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2013, 07:22:23 PM »
How could Poppy Hills 15 be a Redan if you can't hit a cut shot through the trees into the sloping green?

Or, maybe the picture is too limiting in the view?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

ward peyronnin

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2013, 11:00:50 PM »
I must report that Battle Creek is a treat.  A formerly totally flat site between two large ridges is now a rolling rippled track with unusual and exciting green platforms and great lookin but empty bunkers.

I think my favs on the course were the three shot opener and the one shot sixth and ninth. My only reservation may be that some of the movement in and around the greens is so ambitious that one of my own personal preferences, that of landform connectivity to its surroundings, doesn't quite work in places but I'd rather err on that side than face boring unfun hole surrounds. Its a nice tight little routing greens and tees proximate but still good separation between holes. An outstanding early effort for King Collins Design.
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Richard_Mandell

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2013, 10:33:56 AM »
RJ,

Everything at Keller is growing in like wildfire.  We have 007 bent on the greens. On the tees and in the fairways we have 60% 007/40% 1150 bent.  The rough is a Kentucky Blue three-way blend (Compact Midnight and Compact America types).

Scott Seward

« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2013, 06:52:59 PM »
GJ - Here is a slightly different view that shows the hazard fronting the green and the slope.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2013, 07:01:36 PM »
It's not an entirely new golf course either, but we'll have completed the "new" York Downs Golf and Country Club (Toronto) end of summer 2014 as well. There's a tumblr account dedicated to documenting the project as it proceeds, here:

http://yorkdownsgcc.tumblr.com/
jeffmingay.com

John Cowden

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2013, 08:56:21 PM »
I may be mistaken, but I believe Dismal Red's official opening is in 2014.

Rees Milikin

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2013, 05:24:05 PM »
Eric,

I am assuming this is the course near South Pittsburg, if so, its close location to Sewanee would make a nice day of golf between the two courses.  Also, I cannot find much info on the course and was wondering if it is private or public?  

Rees,

Yes, this course is about a 3 minute drive off of I-24 in South Pittsburg. I played it and Sewanee on the same day and enjoyed them both. [I liked this one quite a bit more.] It is slated to open as a public course sometime in 2014, but as of now it still has some work to be done. Namely adding sand to a number of waste bunkers [wait til you see the redan - hello!] and installing some sort of temporary clubhouse to operate out of.

I played both Battle Creek and Sewanee this past Friday and had a blast.  I met up with Rob Collins (the architect of Battle Creek) in Chattanooga and then we proceeded to play Battle Creek and Sewanee.  The course at Battle Creek was extremely fun, but having the ability to walk around and play with the architect made it even better than I could have imagined.  Then we heading up the mountain to Sewanee and played the Hanse renovated 9 hole course, which combined with Battle Creek has to be one of my most fun days of golf I have ever experienced.

If anyone here is ever driving between Nashville and Chattanooga make sure you play these two courses, it is well worth your time.

Thanks to Rob Collins for the hospitality.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2013, 11:13:39 PM »
I believe part of Cabot Cliffs will open in 2014 - perhaps a 10 hole preview as was open for Cabot Links in 2012.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2013, 04:43:59 PM »
Wayne('s World) ... are they that far along on Cabot Cliffs? That's obscene in the best sense of the word.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Josh Bills

« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2013, 08:54:13 PM »
http://twitter.com/KeithRhebb/status/390614219869396993/photo/1

Looks like Cabot Cliffs is moving along in this photo of 15.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2013, 12:07:56 AM »
A few photos of gamble sands are available here:

http://dmkgolfdesign.com/course.aspx?course=gamble
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2014, 09:09:14 PM »
Bumping this to see if there's anything else?

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2014, 11:07:37 PM »
Battle Creek, a 9 hole course just outside of Chattanooga, Tennessee by GCA Rob Collins and his partner, Tad King.

The firm designed and completely rebuilt the former Sequatchie Valley G&CC. I went around it a few weeks ago and was blown away by the work. Pretty damn wild and a ton of fun to play. Ward Peyronnin and I are going back next week and I hope to get a photo tour posted soon after our visit.

Eric,

I am assuming this is the course near South Pittsburg, if so, its close location to Sewanee would make a nice day of golf between the two courses.  Also, I cannot find much info on the course and was wondering if it is private or public?  

Wow I drive right past this all the time, and never even knew there was a golf course there.  I will definitely get to both of these in 2014.  Was Sequatchie Valley G&CC originally a 9 hole course before the transformation to Battle Creek?  Was it a complete blank canvas start over redo?  Also how long has Sewanee been there?  

With both Battle Creek and Sewanee being 9 holes, I would envision a triple play of sorts.  9 holes at Battle Creek, 9 holes at Sewanee, and a tasting tour at Jack Daniels Distillery!   Sounds like a good day to me.  
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back