News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Connor

Confidential Guide in Esquire
« on: March 28, 2015, 03:10:03 PM »
Anyone notice that the new CG got a write up (subheadline "An update to the most controversial book in golf").

We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

Tom_Doak

Re: Confidential Guide in Esquire
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 03:41:18 PM »
Oh, that explains the sudden flurry of orders.  I had sent them a review copy months back, but didn't know they had printed a review.  I guess I should have read the latest issue!

Years ago, I actually did a column for them for a few months, with reviews of the new courses I was seeing.  It didn't generate a lot of reader response, but the gig does look cool on my resume.  :)

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 04:44:11 PM »
That's good news, for all of us who've already bought a copy.

I just went from feeling like a nerd to feeling like a sophisticated man of the world who knows what he wants and gets it!  

Before I know it, I'll be driving a Tesla, vacationing in the Baltics, wintering on Lake Como, sipping 40 year Macallan, playing Miura irons and complaining that West Palm Beach isn't what it used to be.

I wonder: what golf club should I want to join? Shinnecock might be right -- though judging from posts around here it is starting to get way too much outside play. I'd say Seminole, but they're letting in just about anyone these day. Garden City? 

Peter
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 05:06:42 PM by PPallotta »

Jim Nugent

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 05:42:23 PM »
Peter, only one club can measure up to a man of your station.  Maybe you can use your influence to change the course back to the way Bobby and Mackenzie designed it. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 06:16:39 PM »

I just went from feeling like a nerd to feeling like a sophisticated man of the world who knows what he wants and gets it!  

Before I know it, I'll be driving a Tesla, vacationing in the Baltics, wintering on Lake Como, sipping 40 year Macallan, playing Miura irons and complaining that West Palm Beach isn't what it used to be.

I wonder: what golf club should I want to join? Shinnecock might be right -- though judging from posts around here it is starting to get way too much outside play. I'd say Seminole, but they're letting in just about anyone these day. Garden City? 

Peter

That all sounds except wintering at Lake Como.  Sort of like wintering in Toronto. 

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 06:24:10 PM »

Peter

I'm a Miura dealer!!
There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Greg Taylor

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 06:28:47 PM »

Peter

Lol... Love it!

Ronald Montesano

Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Pete Blaisdell

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 11:30:00 AM »
Nugent ,

I agree about Seminole . Now that Jimmy is the head honcho, regular folks are getting the letter and not just the swells . I wish Billy P. would do the same. This corporate crap has to end at some point.
' Golf courses are like wives and the prom queen doesn't always make for the best wife "

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 12:04:57 PM »
 :)

I used to wear Trues, but I'm not sure men like me are wearing those anymore. I hear the next big thing is slip-ons made of baby seal skins and laced with bark strips from the Amazon.  

I'm not against playing a public course -- in fact, for the man who has everything there is a certain sophisticated charm in being willing to the embrace the common. It has to be an undiscovered gem, though, and I'm not sure what best qualifies.

Finally, I would think about trying to change that exclusive course back to what Bobby and Dr Mac had originally designed, but should a cool 1%er actually try that hard at anything?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 12:15:06 PM by PPallotta »

Jim Nugent

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 01:45:51 PM »
Peter, it will be (part of) your legacy.  At least on GCA.com. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back