News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Edward Moody

Seminole Golf Club - quick review
« on: November 22, 2013, 11:08:46 AM »
Just got back to Austin last night from a 2 day trip to the West Palm area.  Had a few client visits, a trip to the ER for a severe ear infection, and had my first visit to Seminole.  To respect their privacy, and because I was playing with Bob Ford, I left my phone in the car so no pics.  The club and set up are way cool and the golf course is extremely good.  The only downside was I was in so much pain that it was hard for me to take it all in.  I could hardly bend over to tee my ball up and just setting up over a shot sent pain and ringing through my ear.  Came this close to calling quits after 9 but knew I would have to tough it out.  I mean we are talking Seminole!

Played in the skins game and there were 10 groups - a lot more of a crowd than I would have expected.  All of the members were very gracious and the staff was super accomodating.  And, of course, nothing beats hanging out in the locker room after the round.  Just a really good vibe around that place.

There was little wind to contend with.  But the 186 bunkers were always in play.  Some of the green complex looks from the fairway were really something.  14 is one I particularly remember.

Anyway, it was one hell of an experience.

John Kavanaugh

Re: Seminole Golf Club - quick review
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 11:21:17 AM »
Who is Bob Ford?

Dan Kelly

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Dan Kelly

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 12:12:35 PM »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

don_bartlett

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 01:50:55 PM »
Bob is also the Head Pro at Oakmont. 

Edward Moody

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 02:17:34 PM »
That's right. Summers at oakmont and winters at seminole. Bob is a pro's pro. Great man.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 02:30:26 PM »
Edward,

Care to elaborate further about the golf course?  Here's the 14th from the fw

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 03:29:09 PM »
Edward,

The only question about Bob Ford is which is better: his gig (including the pro shop at Oakmont) or his golf swing?
Tim Weiman

Edward Moody

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 04:55:55 PM »
Tim - funny you mentioned his swing.  After he hit another solid drive on 14 I commented to the group "Bobby, I could sip on iced tea and watch you swing all day long".  

Jonathan - I'm still on pain meds so will have to think hard here...love the use of the sand dunes in the property.  Neat how both nines take you up and along the dunes and then you play back away from them.  We played the one up tees and with relatively no wind the course was not playing long.  I hit a number of 5 woods off the tees and when I did hit driver I had short irons and wedges into greens.  Having those short irons didn't help much b/c of all the bunkers, though.  Its pretty open off the tees but the second shots command your attention.  On number 2 I hit 5W and wedge but carried it just a touch long toward the back of the green and it one-hopped into the back bunker.  Was able to save par but that is one example where just because you have wedge it doesn't make the hole any easier.  That part reminded me of Austin Golf Club.  Controlling flight and spin is crucial.

The par 5s were scoring holes, if you hit a good drive.  I had 3 iron into 3, 5w into 9, and 3 iron into 16.  Had to layup on 14 b/c of a poor drive.  Good variety on the par 3s.  I hit 7 iron, 4 iron, 6 iron, and 8 iron.  17 is such a good hole and I was pleased to birdie that for a skin!

What I liked most is that there is a lot of variety in terms of shots.  You need to hit some low, some high, some with lots of spin, some with dead arms.  Off the tees you can hit drivers, woods, and long irons.  There is a lot of sand so you have to be sharp with that part of your game.  There are times where you could be lulled to sleep but you really have to keep your guard up the whole time or she will bite you.

Favorite holes:  3, 4, 6, 7, 12 -18.

Also seems like the kind of place you need to play multiple times b/c weather/wind can change the course so much.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 05:23:02 PM »
Edward:

How much did your skin pay?

WW

Edward Moody

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 05:29:15 PM »
85 bucks if I recall correctly.

Joe Bausch

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 05:56:48 PM »
That's right. Summers at oakmont and winters at seminole. Bob is a pro's pro. Great man.

Also, i think we grew up playing the game at Aronimink... which compared to his current rota is somewhat slumming it.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2013, 07:48:12 AM »
Had a dream last night that I played Seminole as an unaccompanied single.

In the dream, I forgot my clubs when I left and had to come back the next day to get them.  When I got there, my bag was set up on the practice range... but a few clubs were missing.  I walked into the clubhouse/locker room to see what happened to my other clubs and was met by a man getting ready to play with a vintage feathery golf ball.  He invited me to join him... and he asked me if I knew Tom Paul!   :D

Somewhere during our round, I woke up.  

Not a bad dream!  
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2013, 09:41:23 AM »
Edward,

Care to elaborate further about the golf course?  Here's the 14th from the fw

What the photo doesn't show is the water flanking the photographer on the left and right.
# 14 is a short par 5, it plays from an elevated tee on the ocean.
Fairway bunkers flank both sides with a drainage creek also flanking the left side.
The second shot brings decision making into the equation.
Depending on the wind, do you go for the green, lay up, or go past the flanking water or lay up.
The green is sloped, back to front, with the front bunkers and a back bunker.
I played with a very good golfer who hit the green and was putting for eagle, to a front hole location.
He told me that the previous week, he hit the green, had a 20 footer for eagle and made 7.
He putted off the green into the front bunker.

Yesterday, a two club wind made play very interesting.
When the wind comes off the ocean it seems like a heavier wind in that it seems to have a greater influence on the ball.

At dinner last night, someone said that there's not a bad or mediocre hole on the golf course.

One of the things I've always admired about Seminole is that irrespective of which of the 360 degrees the wind is coming from, the overall tactical balance remains the same.

The design is simply brilliant.

Another terrific golfer played the last five holes in that wind with birdie, birdied, par, birdie, par.
Very impressive.
He may have been one of the best amateur putters I've seen.
He putted with an old Wilson blade, the copy of the old MacGregor, Tommy Armour IMGT putter.

Generous fairways and benign rough allow the broad spectrum of golfer to enjoy the challenge.

Turf conditions are outstanding.

Hal Hicks, the Superintendent and a very good golfer, along with the current President, Jimmy Dunne, another very good golfer continue to strive for optimal playing conditions.

The course is just fun to play, even if it's beating you up.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2013, 11:49:37 AM »
I've often heard of Seminoles high reputation but can't I picture it. Any chance of some more photos or a link to some?
All the bestt

David_Tepper

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2013, 12:30:30 PM »
"I've often heard of Seminoles high reputation but can't I picture it. Any chance of some more photos or a link to some?"

Thomas D. -

For pics of Seminole, start here:

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=moz35&sz=all&va=seminole+golf

DT

Thomas Dai

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2013, 03:54:53 PM »
David,

Thank you. I have a better idea what Seminoles like now.

Isn't Ben Hogan said to have rated one particular hole at Seminole extremely highly?

All the best.

Edward Moody

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2013, 04:22:38 PM »
I think Hogan had a fond impression of number 6.  Awesome green on 6.  Tee shot is pretty demanding and the approach is to an elevated green that is angled from front left to back right.j

Patrick - good write up.  As you say it is pretty forgiving off the tee and I said earlier, the real test begins with the approach shot.  I hit some really good and long drives, and a few low hooks.  But on 1, even when I hit a low hook, I still had 9 iron in.

On 14, another low hook, I was forced to lay up with a wedge and then had another wedge in.  The pin was way up front on the right and I was between gap wedge and PW.  After a long discussion with my caddie I decided to go with a softer PW b/c I feared putting too much zip on my gap wedge and spinning it back into the bunker.  So I take the PW and nut it all the way to the back and have a 50 footer down hill and it was a miracle to keep it on the green.  It was either going to be 10 feet short or off the front.  Somehow it stayed on and I made par.

The front 9 has some good holes but imo the stretch from 12-18 is so good.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2013, 11:36:13 PM »
There was little wind to contend with.  But the 186 bunkers were always in play.  Some of the green complex looks from the fairway were really something.  14 is one I particularly remember.

Edward:

If you played Seminole without any wind, then you have not really played Seminole.  

If there had been wind, you would not be telling us what clubs you hit into all the par fives.

I hope you get to go back and play the real thing someday.  Lucky you did not take pictures or you might not get the chance!

Edward Moody

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2013, 09:46:15 AM »
Tom - I agree.  She was pretty defenseless.  (And still not easy!)

Several holes would be very tough into the wind.  For instance the par 5 15th.  We played our drives to the right of the right most fairway bunker and had 220ish in.  With a strong breeze we'd have been aiming at the far left bunker and it would have been a legitimate 3 shot-er.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2013, 10:03:39 AM »
Why is it that Seminole is not Seminole without the wind? A great course should be a great course regardless, or am I missing something.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2013, 06:19:22 PM »
Tom - I agree.  She was pretty defenseless.  (And still not easy!)

Several holes would be very tough into the wind.  For instance the par 5 15th.  We played our drives to the right of the right most fairway bunker and had 220ish in.  With a strong breeze we'd have been aiming at the far left bunker and it would have been a legitimate 3 shot-er.

Edward,

Every hole is tough into the wind, some are just a lot tougher, like # 10.

As to # 15, when played into the wind, the carry to the right is more than dicey, as is the second shot carry.
I hit a good drive, 3-wood, 8-iron and we didn't play from the back tees.

I think what I've discovered about Seminole is that your recoveries have to be relatively close to the hole.
It's so easy to hit a recovery 30-40 or more feet away and be left with a certain 3 putt.

The convex nature of the greens, when coupled with the concave nature of the bunkers and surrounds, direct marginal shots far away from the hole, leaving the golfer with a very dicey recovery, in fact the recovery is far more dangerous than it appears, but, the golfer only discovers that after a so-so recovery.

Rees Milikin

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2013, 06:29:18 PM »
Why is it that Seminole is not Seminole without the wind? A great course should be a great course regardless, or am I missing something.

To add to your statement, aren't all courses harder/more challenging/differently played when it is windy?  Nonetheless, the course looks like a blast to play.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back