News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Bergeron

Golf on the Isle of Islay
« on: August 14, 2014, 07:38:41 PM »
I am a huge fan of the scotches from the Isle of Islay. I love Peaty. Particularly Lagavulin.  Who has played the links there and toured the various distilleries? I understand the hotel at the Links is being improved. Comments on the golf and accommodations?

Steve Salmen

Re: Golf on the Isle of Islay
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 08:35:01 PM »
Jeff,

If you're going to Machrie, treat the time there like you're at a laid back resort.  When I was there, I got in late, stayed up til 3 drinking with a bunch of Irish folks, teed off at 6, played 36, caught the ferry and drove up to Dornoch.  My mind was so bad I don't remember having a good time, but absolutely loving the golf course and the whole place in general.

I had no idea it was such a cool place.  Hopefully you'll love it.

Steve

Jeff Bergeron

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 08:37:32 PM »
I was thinking about spending four days there. Getting up late and playing Machrie. From what I've read it's a treasure.

Jeff Bergeron

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 08:43:44 PM »
Steve, when I was younger that was how i lived  Luv ya baby.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 10:14:32 PM »
Jeff,
My wee laddie "…scotches.."!!!!

We'll have to scotch that sort of usage on as pure a site as this one!  Pure as in single malt pure or even whisky in your context would be fine and dander… oops I mean fine and dandy ..see you've got my dander up with "..scotches.."
Enjoy the golf and extracurricular activities but dinnae ask fer a "scotch" as you might well get scotched!

We have scotch'd this snake....Yes?

Laughing here, Orra best,  Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 05:42:08 PM »
Whisky please. 

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 02:34:48 AM »
Jeff,

stay at the accommodation at the course and spend 3 or 4 days there. Plenty of things to visit and see as well as several distilleries and of course play Machrie, one of the true great hidden gems of links golf and enjoy having it virtually to yourself.

Jon

AJ_Foote

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 06:27:37 AM »
Jeff,

Was there last year with two buddies.

It's a magical place.

The course you'll find like nothing you've ever seen - every second shot (tee shots and approaches) is blind, played over wonderful bumpy, rolling terrain with beautiful views.

Our trip included one of my favourite ever days of golf - 18 holes in the morning in three hours, meaning we were a bit early for the pre-ordered soup and sandwiches, so out again with three clubs each for the five hole loop back to the clubhouse. Then aforementioned soup and sandwiches. Then in the car for the short drive up to Bowmore and a distillery tour. A fun experience for three non-whisky-aficionados who don't mind a wee dram nonetheless. Then back to Machrie for another 18. Then back in the pub in Port Ellen in time for dinner, nursing a Botanist and tonic (Islay's own artisan gin).

You can't stay on course at present, but we found a lovely B&B in Port Ellen which coincidentally is run by the teaching pro at Machrie and his wife.

Get there if you can - you'll love it.

Andrew

John Butler

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 04:12:30 PM »
We went to Islay last summer.  The Machrie course is excellent, only weak hole is a par 3 they are changing, hotel was run down and not open though talk of renovation.  Stay at The Old Excise House B&B in Laphroaig, run by the Machrie pro and his wife.  Laphroaig, Ardbeg, and Lagavulin distilleries very close by.  Good food at the Islay Hotel in Port Ellen.  Bunnahabhain and Caol Ila distilleries near Port Askaig ferry point.

Niall C

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 02:56:15 PM »
My brother played Machrie recently and lost a bag full of balls even though he reckoned he was hitting it quite well. His wife, who is a non-golfer, was walking with him and eventually she went ahead to act as a fore caddy so he would have enough balls to finish the round. Apparently the rough was brutal.

I think he mentioned that the hotel was still closed.

Niall

jeffwarne

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 03:05:12 PM »
My brother played Machrie recently and lost a bag full of balls even though he reckoned he was hitting it quite well. His wife, who is a non-golfer, was walking with him and eventually she went ahead to act as a fore caddy so he would have enough balls to finish the round. Apparently the rough was brutal.

I think he mentioned that the hotel was still closed.

Niall

When I played there in 2009 it was gang mower cut on each side from being a fantastic course to play.
Bones are there
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Niall C

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 12:15:58 PM »
Jeff

Interestingly, at virtually the same time I was playing the supposed ball swallowing monster that is Mach Dunes and never had a problem. Yet to play Machrie but I imagine that the two courses are quite similar in terms of blind shots and yet I had no trouble. The big difference as you suggest was that the rough at Mach Dunes had had a good cut.

Niall

David_Tepper

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 12:43:43 PM »
The Machrie Hotel changed hands in 2011 and the new owners announced big plans to upgrade it. Disappointing to hear the hotel is still closed. Does anyone know if any progress has been made on renovating the hotel?

http://blog.islayinfo.com/article.php/new-owners-machrie-golf-islay

Niall Hay

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 09:05:46 AM »
The Machrie Hotel changed hands in 2011 and the new owners announced big plans to upgrade it. Disappointing to hear the hotel is still closed. Does anyone know if any progress has been made on renovating the hotel?

http://blog.islayinfo.com/article.php/new-owners-machrie-golf-islay

Only recent mention of Machrie and the Hotel from July 31st - "Muirfield greenkeeper Muir set for island life"

“The owners have some very exciting plans for the course while they are also refurbishing the hotel and adding more facilities.

“They are hoping to make it a prestigious Scottish links venue that offers the complete package to visitors.”

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/golf/muirfield-greenkeeper-muir-set-for-island-life-1-3494495 

Steve Salmen

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 11:07:37 PM »
My friend and I arrived at 6 or so in the evening. The pro was closing the shop. I asked if we could tee off at six the next morning so we could play 36 and catch the ferry back at 2:30 or so. We would then have a six hour drive to Dornoch.

He said, "show up half six and we'll get you out."  I asked if we could tee off at six. He again said to be there at half six. I said fine, thank you. We will be there.

My friend was unaware that in the UK half six is six thirty. As we walk away, he turns to me with a very concerned face and says to me, "what the f... Is wrong with you?"I gave him a puzzled look. He says, "this guy is talking about having sex and you're into it!'

Tim Johnson

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2014, 04:50:59 PM »
Sorry to hear the hotel is closed, was there is May 2007 for 2 days and the hotel made the stay a better experience. Showed up at 9pm and checked in with my dad. The owner said the hotel is pretty empty so gave us separate rooms(we still had 2 weeks to go) so it was welcome. he held the dining room open for us. Stayed up late both nights in the bar, drinking ales with the bartender and a local....great people. Played the 2nd round with the bartender. The course is a treat, blind shots galore. Love the tee shot at 10 I believe, tough hill to get over.

Aside from the ravel required to get there, this is not a one day'er. Play it twice and hope the hotel is open as it makes it easier to play a couple of holes in the setting sun

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back