News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robin_Hiseman

Please forgive me for blowing my own trumpet a little, but as I know there are plenty on here who appreciate Mike Strantz and may not have access to Golf Course Architecture magazine, allow me to post a link for you to read the biographical article I wrote on Mike in the current issue.

I hope the hyperlink works and I'll be interested to hear what you think.

Once you have read it, do follow the link to subscribe to the magazine.

http://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/Article/Heroic-artistry-the-life-and-works-of-Michael-Strantz/2939/Default.aspx

« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 08:28:04 AM by Robin_Hiseman »
2024: Royal St. David's (x2); Mill Ride
In planning: Hayling, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Thurlestone

David Royer

Re: Mike Strantz feature article in Golf Course Architecture magazine
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 01:36:58 PM »
Having played Tobacco Road several weeks ago I thoroughly enjoyed reading the piece.  Well done.  While I didn't know him, I would like to  think you captured the spirit of the man.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 02:40:47 PM »
Robin:

The one thing that seems to get passed over in all the articles about Mike Strantz is how he insisted on working.  He had his own small crew of shapers, whom he insisted on using to build the course, and he only did one project at a time and moved along with those guys from one project to the next.

It's a very difficult business model, because you have to find clients willing to wait on starting construction until you have finished the last project -- and because your cash flow is at risk if there are permitting delays and the like.  Mostly, it worked great for Mike, because he had a few repeat clients who were willing to accept his terms, and he was working in a region where permitting delays were rare.  [The same business model would have a lot more trouble in California or Europe.]

Steve_Lemmon

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 02:58:34 PM »
Beautiful article.  I have been lucky enough to play Bull's Bay a few times and it is a thrill to play.  It is truly a work of art. 

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 03:13:26 PM »

Robin,

Thanks for your post.  

I saw the creation of the new Shore Course from start to finish and was amazed to see Mike out there morning, noon and the early part of night. His idea of reversing the flow of the course from the fifth hole on was indeed a touch of genius.

The generous width of the fairways will allow some low scores but Charlie Wi's 62  has not been repeated, even after the Pros came to town.

Bob

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 03:27:57 PM »
An extremely well written piece Robin. A real pleasure to read whilst also viewing the 2012 photo tour that Frank Mastroianni posted about Tobacco Road, the thread to which has recently been bumped. Well done and thanks for sharing.
All the best

Joe Sponcia

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 03:50:11 PM »
Mr. Hisemen,

What a great tribute.  Really glad you posted this.  Having played probably seventy-some odd courses on the Grand Strand, True Blue is probably my favorite...followed closely by the Dunes.   Somewhere in the 3-5 rank is Caledonia, often my groups favorite visually when we visit.  My wife and I played Tobacco Road in the freezing cold this March...and TR beat me to a pulp.  My wife, a legit 39 handicap played one of her best rounds incidentally.  That is what is so good about his courses, they can bring the low handicaps to their knees but are fair for all.  I have not made it to Wachesaw Plantation yet, but I have heard it has a good bit of Strantz in it.  
Joe

https://pillarsofgolf.wordpress.com

"If the hole is well designed, a fairway can't be too wide". - Mike Nuzzo

Brett Wiesley

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 03:51:37 PM »
Only play MPCC Shore Course of Strantz's.  I did really enjoy the day, albeit a tad windy - balls wouldn't stay on the greens.  I felt his use of a fescue in that environment was great, and with the new layout gave golfers so many options on how to play - one would never fatigue of the course.

Greg Taylor

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 04:01:39 PM »
You know where I stand on Tobacco Rd Robin....

I look forward to your book.

Greg

Brian Finn

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 05:25:00 PM »
Terrific article, Robin.  Thank you for sharing it with us.  I've had the pleasure of playing several Strantz courses, and as you eloquently reflected in the article, you can immediately sense the love and respect felt toward him at each one.  I look forward to reading your book when it is available.   
New for 2023:  Cheraw SP, Grandfather, Clyne, Tenby, Pennard, Langland Bay, Southerndown, Pyle & Kenfig, Royal Porthcawl, Ashburnham, Rolls of Monmouth, Old Barnwell...

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 08:29:01 PM »
Terrific article; thank you.

My favorite day of golf each year is 36 holes at True Blue and Caledonia.  Without boring others with the details of my life, it is an inspiring day on several different levels.

I would remind everyone again that prints of Mike's designs are available from his family, with a portion of the proceeds assisting families dealing with cancer treatments.  I've bought two prints; great for your own collection or as a gift.

http://www.mikestrantzdesign.com/strantzgallery.html
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 04:06:19 AM »
Great article, Robin... You've whet my appetite (as did the Hiseman and Edwards diatribe in Malmo) for seeing some of Mike Strantz's work in person.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 08:37:42 AM »
Tom:
I briefly covered that aspect of his working method and you're spot on because his courses are what they are almost entirely because of his particular and unique working method. As I say in the article it is the ideal working method and will give the best results. He was very fortunate to be able to work as he did. The projects fell very neatly into sequence and his Legends affiliation took care of the first half of his solo career almost by itself. I guess you can take some credit for that in a roundabout way...;)

Ally: I blame it on the booze! This article is the sober (and researched) version of that emotional night in Malmo!

Thank you for the feedback so far. I'm glad that you feel it is a fair reflection of his talent and life. What pleases me even more is that his family and widow, Heidi have enjoyed the piece, as has his business partner Forrest Fezler and his work crew. I never had the pleasure of meeting him, so it was with trepidation that I sent it out to those who knew him personally so well.
In planning: Hayling, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Thurlestone

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 09:49:43 AM »
Nice article from another Strantz fan.

From the 2nd sentence: "Having parted company with the original architect of the new Parkland Course,...."

Tom Doak, wasn't that you?

Paul Gray

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 09:54:02 AM »
A superb article. Well done. In fact, a superb edition.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2013, 01:52:48 PM »
Robin... I love you, Man! This is a great article and is obviously from the heart. As we have discussed, I hope you are able to find the time to expand this into a bigger presentation. Please let me know if I can help you going forward... if there is anything you need, just ask.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2013, 01:59:05 PM »
Robin... I love you, Man! This is a great article and is obviously from the heart. As we have discussed, I hope you are able to find the time to expand this into a bigger presentation. Please let me know if I can help you going forward... if there is anything you need, just ask.

PS - As I read the article again I am reminded of what a great week I had visiting all of those Strantz colleagues with you and sitting through the interviews. What fascinating stories we heard... mixed throughout with tearful remembrances of the man they all miss so much. Strantz must have been a very charismatic person. I still can't wait to hopefully get a look and the treasure trove of Strantz drawings in the construction foreman's garage!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2013, 02:13:11 PM »

My favorite day of golf each year is 36 holes at True Blue and Caledonia.  Without boring others with the details of my life, it is an inspiring day on several different levels.

I would remind everyone again that prints of Mike's designs are available from his family, with a portion of the proceeds assisting families dealing with cancer treatments.  I've bought two prints; great for your own collection or as a gift.

I want to second AG's recommendation of the Strantz prints. I also have two of them and they look fantastic on the wall... great discussion pieces.

One of these would be a wonderful Christmas gift for the golf nerd.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2013, 04:36:11 PM »
Mike

...and I barely scratched the surface of the stories we were told, so there's plenty more to fill the bio. Joe Gay of Tobacco Road told me a little gem of an anecdote earlier today and tells me his Course Manager worked on the crew with Strantz at Wild Dunes, during his 'lost' years and has a whole heap of tales.

My plan is to head back over and visit TR, the Virginian courses and THF sometime next Spring. Maybe try and arrange to meet Tom Fazio too if possible, to get his take on the early years. I'd love to hook up with you again then if you're about.

PS. your Clemson ball is still in my bag. I kind of like the logo so only bring it out when I'm pretty sure I can't lose it!

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2013, 05:38:15 PM »
Robin,

Thanks for posting the link to your article on Mike Strantz. That was as nice a tribute as I have read.

It was quite some time ago that a GCA group got together to play Tobacco Road and Mike was scheduled to join us, but for some reason he was not able to make it.

Bob Huntley,

I have played and enjoyed several of Strantz's courses, but haven't seen his  work at MPCC. Would you call it worth a special visit if I happen to be up in the Bay Area?
Tim Weiman

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2013, 05:53:38 PM »
Mike

...and I barely scratched the surface of the stories we were told, so there's plenty more to fill the bio. Joe Gay of Tobacco Road told me a little gem of an anecdote earlier today and tells me his Course Manager worked on the crew with Strantz at Wild Dunes, during his 'lost' years and has a whole heap of tales.

My plan is to head back over and visit TR, the Virginian courses and THF sometime next Spring. Maybe try and arrange to meet Tom Fazio too if possible, to get his take on the early years. I'd love to hook up with you again then if you're about.

PS. your Clemson ball is still in my bag. I kind of like the logo so only bring it out when I'm pretty sure I can't lose it!

I just bought six dozen more, so fire away!!!

Eric Strulowitz

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2013, 06:38:27 PM »

I have played both those courses several times, and found them visually stunning, but very playable.  I am just an average hack, I felt like I could still play a decent round. Tobacco Road  was an experience, but I still have not formed an opinion about the place.   It was just too extreme, although I have seen some good scores by others there.  But what a work of art.

Strantz was a special guy and a true artist to say the least.  Cannot imagine the work he would have done if he had not left us so early

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2013, 07:22:13 PM »
i, for one on this site, think Tobacco Road is pure genius.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2013, 07:40:53 AM »
i, for one on this site, think Tobacco Road is pure genius.

Agreed, 100%.  Every time I play there, it delights me.  Sometimes my score is good, sometimes not.  But I smile and laugh all day, and that's worth a lot to me.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back