News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bryan Izatt

After a glorious, warm, windless and sunny day at Cruden Bay, September 24, 2013 dawned dark, dank, wet and windy - real Scottish golf weather.  I awoke questioning my sanity for having booked a round at Trump International Golf Links Scotland (TIGLS) at a not so modest £195.  But, here I was, on my annual Scottish golf pilgrimage with a chance to do my one and done with the greatest golf course in the world, so what to do but carry on.  

After a short drive up the A90 from Aberdeen past Balmedie it was easy to find the TIGLS entrance, marked as it is by signage and a very large Rolex type clock tower.  The meandering entrance driveway take you through pastoral land past the luxury estate accommodations of MacLeod House and to the parking lot and clubhouse.  The clubhouse is a modest modern building.  There was also a tent pavilion, temporarily, I assume, for events.  

I arrived expecting service to be over the top and in your face in an American CCFAD style such as I experienced at Streamsong last year.  But, service was blessedly low key in a reserved Scottish way - one guy at a bag drop, two people in the shop and a starter. It suited me just fine, although I wonder if other golf tourists paying the full freight might not expect more "service".

As it stands now, the parking lot is surrounded on one side by club house and pavilion,

the driving range,

and, a truly outstanding short game area.

The putting green is on the path to the first tee, past the clubhouse and the pavilion.

Being early for my tee time, I warmed up on the short game area and then went to the driving range.  But in the short walk, the fog rolled in,  

and the driving range was impenetrable.  But, the clock was nice at 10 minutes to noon.  Was I going to get fogged out of my £195 golf experience.

Happily by my 12:15 p.m. start time the fog had largely blown out although it was still a murky, misty day, not ideal conditions for picture taking, but what the heck, nae wind nae rain, nae golf.   The starter was quite pleasant and allowed that the wind this day was atypical, coming out of the northeast and blowing down the first four holes.  It was the opposite of what Ran described in his write-up of the course.  Here is an aerial of the layout of the course.

Hole by hole account to follow.

Chris Roselle

Can't wait for what's to follow Bryan...really looking forward to it.  Thanks!

Bryan Izatt

Some general thoughts on the course before the hole-by-hole look.

What is the conditioning like?  I had heard both positive and negative feedback before going.  In my opinion, the conditioning was excellent.  There are a few random areas where there are obvious patches in the fairway turf, but these really don't detract from the playability.  The fairways were firm.  The greens sounded like new greens should - like a table top when the ball lands on them.  The turf was quite good everywhere.  It's probably the best conditioned course  I've seen in Scotland.  The one fly in the ointment is that most of the fairways are rye grass at the moment, and although it provides a fine playing surface, it is not fescue, and therefore is not like a true Scottish links course should be.  Also the green surrounds are fescue and the difference in look and playability between the surrounds and fairways is clearly evident.

Are the playing corridors as narrow as they look in pictures?  No, for the most part, the fairways are amply wide, although if the winds get up and are across the course, no width is probably sufficient, especially from the more elevated tees.  There are, however, a fair number of what look, on one playing, to be fairly daunting carries from elevated tees to narrow looking fairways.  I suspect that, for the most part, if you are playing from the proper tees, the carries are quite doable and the landing areas are suitably wide.

Is the rough as penal as has been reported?  Simple answer - yes.  I saw some areas where they appear to be trying to cut back some of the marram grass, but I'd guess they can't do too much of that for fear of destabilizing the dunes.  Any balls (with one exception) that I hit off the fairway into the marram grass were lost.  This was unlike Cruden Bay and North Berwick where I played before and after TIGLS.  Having the possibility of hitting a recovery shot from the rough is much preferred over having to hit a provisional and taking a lost ball penalty.

Are there too many bunkers?  Sure, on some holes - 4 and 18 come to mind.  A little restraint would have been better in my opinion.  Strangely, given the plethora of bunkers, I was not one the whole day.

What about the multitude of tees and walking paths connecting them?  There sure are a lot of tees and they are at many different elevations and angles on every hole.  But, they are generally visually isolated from each other.  Because of the multiple angles, it was necessary to have paths going to and from each one.  They chose to make many of them artistically flowing in nature and beautifully landscaped in rye grass.  They look quite unlike green to tee paths I have seen anywhere else, and most certainly unlike any other links courses that I've seen.  One of the byproducts of the tee arrangement is that there needs to be sign posts on every hole to give directions to each tee block.

Is TIGLS the greatest course in the world?  Surely not today and maybe never.  There are a few pedestrian holes.  The greens I thought, as a group, were going to be fun and challenging for any who play there.  They are anything but pedestrian.  The first three par 3's are all excellent and world class.  The last one is good but not great, being somewhat along the lines of the 12th at Augusta with an angled green, but no creek.  There is the modern requisite short par 4 that is likely drivable by almost all if you are on the proper tees.   The course in total is big, bold and brash.  Most links courses that I prefer are small, subtle and reserved.  To me TIGLS is clearly engineered into the dunescape unlike its older links neighbours in Scotland.  That, to me, is somewhat jarring.  Perhaps it will age in to a more natural look.  I read somewhere (can't remember where) that somebody said TIGLS was in the dunes, but not of the dunes.  That's a pretty neat summary.  Given the scale of the dunes, I'm not quite sure how they could have made the course part of the dunes.  Maybe in the end, it looks like a modern course that just happens to be surrounded by very large dunes.  It is undeniably pretty to look at, if you like large, wild dunes around your holes.  All-in-all, a very good golf course, but not at the level of great yet.  Let's see how it settles in.  Sadly, I doubt I'll play it again;  it's too price prohibitive and if I'm in Scotland there are a bunch of links courses that I love and are way more affordable.

Bryan Izatt

Now, on to the first hole.  I played the white tees.  The course yardages, ratings and slopes for the furthest back Black tees and the White tees I played are 7428/77.4/149 and 6329/72.3/133 for a par of 72.

Hole 1

This hole played downwind, which is apparently not the norm.  The starter suggested a good drive and then lay up short of the bunkers left up near the green.  That may have been appropriate into the wind, but downwind it was easy to carry the fairway bunkers with the second shot.

From the tee, you can see that the fairway narrows down near where a good drive is likely to land.  There is a bit of a bail out area to the right, but anywhere off the fairway is dead in the long grass.  Although it is an easy opening hole with a generous landing area, you don't want to mess it up with a lost ball in the marram grass.  Best to get in a good warm up on the range.

From the fairway, the three pots to the left get your attention, but missing right in the gunch would be better bargain.  For those tempted to have a go at the green, and it is certainly possible, it is less likely given the green is benched above the fairway.  Running it up is a possibility but it plays longer than the yardage due to the elevation of the green.

From closer in to the green on the right side of the fairway, you can see the greenside bunkers and the bumpy nature of the land that will both make a run up second shot to the green more problematic.  This picture also illustrates the difference in the grassing of the fairway and the green surrounds.

Another look at the green from over the fairway bunker.

The green from the left side.  There is some pretty strong contouring in the almost all the green.  If they stimp the greens above 10, they will be an adventure.  Notice that there is a strip of resodded green in the foreground.  It did not affect play.

Looking back down the hole from behind the green you can see the strong contours of the green.  Also noticeable are the ridges and hollows in the back surrounds.  Hawtree has used these ridges and hollows in the closely mown surrounds of many of the greens - perhaps even overused them.

Matthew Essig

Thanks for doing this!!!!! Will be interested in seeing the rest of the pictures.

IMHO, I love the first hole. I don't think it could have been designed much better. I love the fall-off on the right side of the fairway where it pinches. The green is contoured well, probably to help toughen the hole up a little (other than wind). Looks like an interesting par 4.5 hole.

Interesting that you say that the summary of the course is that it is in the dunes, not of the dunes. Are there parts where the course could actually be part of the dunes? Most of the dunes are way too big to be part of them.
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Bryan Izatt

Matthew,

Re the dunes, I agree that it would have been difficult to make the course part of the dunes because of their scale.  It did raise a question in my mind about the fitness of the site for a golf course.  Most of the commentary I have read has basically said the the site was just crying out to have a golf course built there.  But, if the dunes are too massive to be incorporated into the course, then are they not just window dressing along the sides and behind the holes.  The dunes do make for a beautiful setting, but the course is almost divorced from them, apart from the placement of the tees.  Food for thought, and I may be alone in this thought.

Bryan Izatt

Hole 2

The 2nd hole was one of the holes that left me uninspired and which therefore detracts from the "greatness" of the course in my opinion.  It reminded me of the 3rd and 12th at Pacific Dunes, where there was some dead land that needed to be crossed to reach more interesting topography.  The holes at PD were saved by excellent greens sites.  The land here at the 2nd at TIGLS is generally flat with some man made contouring in the fairway.  The green is not particularly inspiring.

From the tee, the question asked of the golfer is whether to lay up short of the burn or to try to fly it.  At my length, it was a no-brainer, even with a following wind.  It's just a little too far to carry, and there doesn't appear to be much advantage to justify the risk.  A second shot from 140 yards is just as appealing as one from 70 yards.  So, lay up it was, over to the right by the second bridge.

You'll notice the greenkeeper cutting the grass on the bank of the burn with a fly-mo, in the rain.  He was also hand scissoring the edges.  Maintenance was proceeding apace despite the weather and there certainly seemed to be attention to detail.

From the left side of the fairway short of the burn, the approach to the green is a short iron to an open green.

From the right side closer in to the green you can see that there are two pots lurking, but they seem out of play for most with a short iron second shot in hand.  The picture also shows the contouring of the approaches to the green hat would complicate a running shot to the green, but then I'd imagine that the vast majority of players would be flying it into this green since it's a pretty big target and generally plays into the wind.  If you look at the back and left of the green you can also see some of the ridges and hollows that Hawtree has used quite a lot in the surrounds.

Looking back from behind the green some more of the ridges and hollows in the surrounds are evident.  This green sits more on the ground than many of the greens, although the "ground" was most likely created in the construction of the course.  The green is also one of the less undulating ones on the course.

Jon Wiggett

Bryan,

good to see some recent photos of the course. It is also good to hear that it is playing more like a links despite the ryegrass which I think they will have difficulty eradicating but if it plays fast & firm then the visuals though jarring are secondary. The thick rough is a problem almost all new courses have (Castle Stuart is the only new course I have seen without it) but I would imagine they will get on top of it given time.

I look forward to seeing the rest of the tour.

Jon

Niall C

Matthew,

Re the dunes, I agree that it would have been difficult to make the course part of the dunes because of their scale.  It did raise a question in my mind about the fitness of the site for a golf course.  Most of the commentary I have read has basically said the the site was just crying out to have a golf course built there.  But, if the dunes are too massive to be incorporated into the course, then are they not just window dressing along the sides and behind the holes.  The dunes do make for a beautiful setting, but the course is almost divorced from them, apart from the placement of the tees.  Food for thought, and I may be alone in this thought.

Rest assured Bryan, you are not alone in your assessment. Brian E posted a comment from someones blog on the other Balmedie thread and it said something similar. That said, expect to get some abuse from the Trump cheerleaders.

Niall

Rich Goodale

Great stuff, Bryan.  Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to hitchhike on this thread, as I played the course for the 1st time 10 days ago, and I can use your fine camera work to both remember each hole and chime in with my thoughts from time to time.

Firstly, I agree with your initial posts regarding the pleasantly surprising but still very professional low-key approach of the staff and the fact that the course is in amazingly well-maintained shape given its youth and magnitude.  I also played the white tees and in the same wind (1-2 clubs down-wind on holes 1-4).  All that was different is that my weather was better (almost spectacular) and my price lower (I was playing on "Senior's Day"--an attempt by TIGLS (hereinafter refred to as "Tiggles") to give something back to the wider community.  I paid £49 for the round, free coffee on arrival, free range balls, very nice cup of soup delivered by cart to the 10th tee, free yardage book and an incredibly blingy Tiggles Bag Tag.  Thank you again Thomas Dai for alerting me to this opportunity!

As for the course, I agree with your observations on 1 and 2, particularly the blandness of the 2nd green.  1 is definitely reachable in two from the whites.  I was 190 or so after my drive down the right, but lying on a refreshingly but incredibly difficult for the second shot of the day linksy downhill lie.  I tried to hit a shot well beyond my 2nd shot of the day capabilities and capped the hole by missing my 10ft. putt for a bogey.  Interesting but reasonable drive, cool 2nd shot cross bunkers to the right and excellent green.  2** on the Rhicelin Scale.  Like you I played my drive on #2 short of the bridge on the right, hit a 9-iron to 15 feet and 3-putted (I don't do "bland" well).  Nil *  That being said, if I ever play the course again (and I will if I get the £49 offer again next year), I'll give the 210 carry over the burn to the left a go and see if I can hit my 2nd closer...

One final general comment.  Yes, the walking paths are lovely, but they are far too long.  I would guestimate that the average walk from green to tee on the course was well over 100 yards/hole.  That being said, I could have traded ~500 yards of walk for 500 yards of course if I had played the blue or golf tees, which I probably will do the next time.  As for the black tees.....this is where "Course meet Dunes, Dunes meet Course" occurs.  Playing them would add another 500 yards of course but also trade 500 yards of walking forward for 500 yards of walking backwards and uphill.  I'd love to see the Lady Boy tour pros play this course from the Blacks carrying their own bag.....

Keep up the good work, Bryan!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 08:41:30 AM by Rich Goodale »
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Bryan Izatt

Niall,

Just read the story in the other thread and it was very similar to my feelings, well, absent staying in MacLeod House and eating in the clubhouse and the bleeding hands.  An included breakfast at the Holiday  Inn Express and a very nice Indian dinner in Aberdeen after playing was good for me.

Rich,

Feel free to jump on board, but the pace will be leisurely - no 2.5 hour round here.  

Trump was advertising their special deals on the radio station that I was listening to when I left the course - a little annoying after paying the full freight.  Stick it to the golf tourists, I guess.  At £49 I'd certainly play again, although it would still be a tough choice for us travelers given the other more traditional and historical links available in Scotland.

You didn't throw away the blingy bag tag thingy?   ;D ;)

If you play the 2nd again next year, don't forget to check the yardage book again for the carry - it's 223 according to my book and rapidly extending to 261 by the middle of the fairway.  What reward did you see with carrying the burn? OK, the green was bland, but it lay on the land more than most of the others.  Isn't it heresy around here to prefer trumped up greens over lay of the land greens?   ;)

Brian_Ewen

As I said on another thread, for those that are not a fan of Trumps Clubhouse (me !), the nearby http://thecockandbull.co.uk/ is a great alternative.

Rich Goodale

As I said on another thread, for those that are not a fan of Trumps Clubhouse (me !), the nearby http://thecockandbull.co.uk/ is a great alternative.

You are dead right, Brian.  I stayed at the C&B for a night between rounds at Cruden Bay in September, and the whole experience was first class.

Rich

PS-and, of course, you can't stay at Trump's Clubhouse, as there is no accomodation.  He has renovated the existing manor house as a mega£££ B&B but haven't been there yet....

rfg
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Patrick_Mucci

Bryan,

Nice photo tour and commentary.

What's the second play green fee ?

Thomas Dai

Thank you again Thomas Dai for alerting me to this opportunity!
Rich, Glad to have been of help. £49/18-holes etc. Now that's more like it. BTW "Tiggles" is brilliant. Would I be correct in assuming that there was no free miniature of Glenfiddich given out with the free coffee, free range balls, free on-course soup, free yardage book and free blingy Tiggles Bag Tag? We need to see a photo of the blingy bag tag just to confirm whether or not it is shaped like a toupee!
Looking forward to the rest of your write-up.
All the best

Bryan Izatt

Patrick,

They don't advertise a second play rate and I didn't inquire, £195 was enough.  Anything more would just be more painful.

Thomas,

The blingy bag tag thingy was metal with the Trump crest on it.  It weighed too much, so mine got turfed.  And, it didn't seem worthy of a picture.  Maybe Rhic or someone else has a picture for you.

Jason Topp

If 2 is one of the more pedestrian holes, this must be a pretty good course.  The burn seems to make for an interesting decision off the tee on the right day.

Bryan Izatt

Hole 3

The 3rd hole is the first of a set of four very good par 3's.  It takes you down and as close to the sea as you're going to get  One is left wondering if winter storms might do significant damage or erosion to the hole given how low and close to the sea it is.

From the White tee, there is some view of the sea to the left.  Contrary to most stories, I didn't see many views of the sea from other White tees on the course.  I presume the views are better on most holes the further back the tee blocks are.

Although of moderate length, the push up green provides a challenging target if there is any wind.  From the tee a cavernous bunker lurks hard by the right edge of the green and the burn snakes up the left side.  It doesn't look like there is much room to miss left, although there is some.

From short of the green you can see the significant contouring of the approaches.  If you should come up short, as I did, there are some interesting recovery options.

From up above the right side bunker you can get a good view of the hole's proximity to the sea.

Mark_F

Very nice thread so far Bryan, but this picture... Typical Hawtree overshaping a green complex so that it bears no relationship to its surrounds.  The whole image makes it appear as if some fantastic ground was sacrificed to build a pre-determined concept.

Bryan Izatt

Mark,

I can't argue with your point.  All the holes look like they were engineered onto the site.  There isn't a hole I can think of where you would come away saying that a hole or feature was just lying there in the natural state waiting to be uncovered.  I don't think the site actually lent itself to that kind of "natural" golf course.  The dunescape is too large and too abrupt in my opinion.  I think the question with TIGLS is whether the course that Hawtree/Trump engineered onto the mammoth wild and wooly dunescape is a good or great course.  I think most agree so far that it is a good to great course.  But, natural it isn't, again, in my opinion.

Mark Pearce

Mark,

Interesting observation.  It's pretty much what I thought when I saw Bryan's pictures of the 2nd green surrounds.  Over-worked, over-complex contours which simply don't fit the land.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Bryan Izatt

Hole 4

From the proper tees and playing down wind, the 4th hole seems like it should be a reachable par 5 for many.  In Ran's course review he speaks highly of this hole and the routing of the first four holes into the wind.  I'm not sure that there is a prevailing wind, but it was evident in my one play that downwind it plays much differently than into the wind as Ran experienced.  

The fly in the ointment to reaching the green in two is that the drive seems to me to be extraordinarily narrow (relative to the rest of the course) off the tee and significantly uphill at the end.  If I were to play again, I think I would opt to lay up off the tee and in front of the bunkers.  The risks of the hole are for the bold and straight.

From the tee there appears to be danger from high marram grass on the bank to the left and a penalty stroke lateral hazard on the right.  I thought a cut off the left bank would work for the tee shot.  Well, it didn't cut enough and was lost probably no more than 10 yards left of the fairway.

From the right side of the fairway you can see both the threatening lateral hazard and the daunting shot if you try to have a go at the green.  Approaching from the right side seems like the right idea if you're going to have a go.  The question is, can you carry the bunker diarrhea.  This hole and the 18th seem to have an oversupply of bunkers to the point where they look a bit silly.  Are 11 bunkers really necessary here?

From just short and right (following a weak fade second shot) you are left with a blind uphill flip shot over one of the many bunkers.

From just short of the green you can see the flip shot wasn't quite enough.  In dryer conditions I would imagine that shots might roll back down the hill.  The contours of the green are evident as it receded 48 yards into the distance.  The contours on the green are, no doubt, one of the major defenses of a relatively short par 5.

Zoomed in from behind the green you can see fairway snaking up between the hazard and the dune bank.  You can also see that the green is really deep and has three tiers to it.  I dropped a ball at the back to try the 100 foot putt to the front.  It's hard.  Coming up from the front to a back pin would be harder still, I would think.

With a wider angle look from behind the green there is a better view of the expansive nature of the green and the three tiers. Also you can see that there are run off areas on the sides and back.  This is consistent design characteristic on most if not all the greens.

Patrick_Mucci

Mark Ferguson  & Mark Pearce,

Given the opposition to the project, the scrutiny that accompanied it and environmental restrictions, how would you have designed the course ?

Specifically, How would you have located the greens and blended them in with the surrounds such that the unnatural or manufactured look you perceive, wouldn't exist ?

Brian_Ewen

I wondered how long it would be, until the usual suspect tried to move this thread away from its original purpose ..... sigh !

Patrick_Mucci

I wondered how long it would be, until the usual suspect tried to move this thread away from its original purpose ..... sigh !

Brian,

How convenient of you to overlook Mark F's and Mark P's attempts to move the thread away from it's original purpose.

Could you remind us, what was the original purpose of this thread and how do Mark F's and Mark O's comments differ from mine ?

Or, are you just trying to move this thread away from it's original purpose ?

Lastly, you must have missed my initial reply on this thread, which certainly was in keeping with the original purpose, especially in contrast to Mark F's and Mark P's replies.

Or are you just going to whine about anything positive said about the course and tout everything negative, as you always seem to do ?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back