News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brandon Urban

Re: Your Starting Five
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2013, 05:23:55 PM »
If I'm being honest...

Colton
Doak
Mackenzie
Macdonald
Nuzzo

No offense, but I witnessed your first foray in to the actual field... hopefully it only gets better from there!
181 holes at Ballyneal on June, 19th, 2017. What a day and why I love golf - http://www.hundredholehike.com/blogs/181-little-help-my-friends

Garland Bayley

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2013, 05:26:14 PM »
Mine are the five I want to interview for the job.

Macan
Moran
Egan/MacKenzie
Andrew/Weir
Doak/Urbina

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Michael George

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2013, 05:30:27 PM »
Eric - if it had a genie and you asked for a golf coures architect, we would have issues!  Now if you asked for Kate Upton for me, well then, I would be eternally grateful  ;D
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Sean_A

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2013, 05:38:07 PM »
Colt
Fowler
Dr Mac
Nuzzo
T Simpson

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

BHoover

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2013, 05:42:35 PM »
Eric - if it had a genie and you asked for a golf coures architect, we would have issues!  Now if you asked for Kate Upton for me, well then, I would be eternally grateful  ;D

Marisa Miller
Kate Upton
Heidi Klum (tough to beat in her prime...and still not bad)
Brooklyn Decker

Too many to list. Hell, Christie Brinkley is nearly 60 and she's still smoking...sorry, I forgot we were listing architects!

David Kelly

« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2013, 05:52:09 PM »
Maxwell
Mackenzie
Thomas
Macdonald
Colt
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Jim Colton

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2013, 05:53:56 PM »
If I'm being honest...

Colton
Doak
Mackenzie
Macdonald
Nuzzo

No offense, but I witnessed your first foray in to the actual field... hopefully it only gets better from there!

Yes, but at least you know that my course won't have cart paths

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2013, 06:08:06 PM »
So many, aren't there? I'm not sure I know how "a great site" would/should affect my choices. (Mark B's thread on VOR comes to mind.)

Hard to keep Fowler off the list, and Simpson. I'd want to give Ian A and Mike N the chance, and KBM.  

Ross Harmon

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2013, 06:16:14 PM »
- Doak
- Dye
- MacDonald/ Raynor
- MacKenzie
- Urbina

Bill Seitz

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2013, 06:41:27 PM »
DeVries
Doak
Mackenzie
Langford/Moreau
Coore/Crenshaw

One of us Kingsley guys had to put Mike in there. :)  If a guy can design a course that I can play ten times in a weekend without ever getting bored with any shot on the course, then he's probably a good bet.

Jud_T

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2013, 06:49:54 PM »
DeVries
Doak
Mackenzie
Langford/Moreau
Coore/Crenshaw

One of us Kingsley guys had to put Mike in there. :)  If a guy can design a course that I can play ten times in a weekend without ever getting bored with any shot on the course, then he's probably a good bet.

This is actually a pretty good list...Arguably you could toss Mackenzie and Langford, sub in Hanse and Pont, and if you were really jonesing for a Colt, MacRaynor or other ODG course just get one of the new guys to do a tribute variant, ala Old Mac.  Damn, these guys are good...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 06:52:06 PM by Jud T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Gary Slatter

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2013, 06:55:26 PM »
1. Stanley Thompson & RTJ Sr & Rod Whitman
2. Tom Morris & Tom Fazio
3. Tom Doak & Pete Dye & Jack   we'll try for 27 holes
4. Ian Andrew (without Weir) & Jeff Mingay (without Zokol)
5. Dick Wilson & RTJ Jr & Tom McBroom.

We'll have a bottomless budget, and exceed it.  To me the next big issue is the construction team, will we let the designers do it all, or hire Peter Dawson's recommended company?
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Brian Hilko

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2013, 06:58:16 PM »
I like Bill's list.  I just want to tweak the batting order.  

DeVries
Langford
MacKenzie
Coore and Crenshaw
Doak
Down with the brown

Greg Chambers

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2013, 07:04:12 PM »
MacKenzie
Behr
Hanse
Thomas
C&C
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Mark Molyneux

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2013, 07:27:42 PM »
Tillie, Donald Ross, George Thomas, C.B. McDonald, Harry Colt

Jud_T

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2013, 07:39:15 PM »
By the way, wouldn't any of the ODGs by definition be out of their league given their complete unfamiliarity with today's grass varietals, green speeds, newer construction and irrigation options, ball and club technology, Membership conditioning expectations, as well as environmental, legal, political and employment constraints (not to mention the Eau de North Forty they'd all be sporting)?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 07:41:38 PM by Jud T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mark Molyneux

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2013, 07:53:01 PM »
Jud-

ODGs? Old Dead Guys?

I suspect that if Michaelangelo came back, he'd still be popular whether he worked in charcoal sketches or oils.

Leading at the 3/4 pole:
Alister Mac with 20 mentions
Tom Doak with 15
Harry Colt with 11
C.B. McDonald with 10
and Seth Raynor with 9

... and they're all brilliant! I think my list reflects my Philly roots and the fact that I played at an 1895 vintage track last weekend.

I left him off my list too but Mike Strantz deserves mention.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2013, 08:03:19 PM »
By the way, wouldn't any of the ODGs by definition be out of their league given their complete unfamiliarity with today's grass varietals, green speeds, newer construction and irrigation options, ball and club technology, Membership conditioning expectations, as well as environmental, legal, political and employment constraints (not to mention the Eau de North Forty they'd all be sporting)?

All the more reason to hire them......excepting the odor.......

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

jeffwarne

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2013, 08:10:11 PM »
Young
Doak
Nuzzo
Braid
Leeds
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mark Steffey

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2013, 08:14:16 PM »
i would do it myself.  just ask the genie to cover all costs and overruns.

JC Jones

« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2013, 08:42:05 PM »

All the more reason to hire them......excepting the odor.......

Joe

Well, you seem to be getting work.....excepting the odor.....

I'm going to go from designers of courses I've actually played and in No Order:

DeVries
Maxwell
Ross
CBM/Raynor
Dr. Mac
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2013, 08:49:16 PM »
Appreciate the thoughts from many...

I've always admired Pine Valley for the collaboration of some great architects with Crump (who I still believe was "the" genius)
I always thought a great version of this question was pick create the potential for the same thing to happen.

I've always hoped Mike would miraculously put me in that position for an interior course at Bandon (one can dream right....)
-

John Foley

« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2013, 08:52:13 PM »
C & C
Mac / Raynor
Ross
Colt
Mackenzie
Integrity in the moment of choice

Matt MacIver

« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2013, 09:21:15 PM »
Mackenzie
CbM / Raynor
Colt
Thomas
Tillinghast

Jim Nugent

« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2013, 10:37:51 PM »
Doak
Mackenzie
Old Tom
C&C
Colt

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back