News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Satterfield

Rock Creek Golf Club Idaho - Pictorial
« on: September 29, 2013, 06:23:32 PM »
Was fortunate to play Rock Creek Golf Club (Idaho) in Coeur d'Alene a few weeks ago.  As a big fan of what Tom Weiskopf did at Snake River Sporting Club in Jackson, WY and Spanish Peaks in Big Sky, MT, I was anxious to see what he did with another mountain west site.  I enjoyed the course immensely and in-particular the opening five holes.  The double green 5th hole was one of my favorite par 3s I've played in recent memory.  Here are some pics:

1st hole (Par 4):

2nd hole (Par 3):

3rd hole (Long Par 4):

4th hole (Par 5):

5th hole (236/199 Par 3 with nearly 100 foot drop according to Google Earth):

8th hole (Par 4):

10th hole (Par 4):

12th hole (Par 3):

15th hole (Par 5):

16th hole (Driveable Par 4, under the right conditions, with two fairways to pick from):

18th hole (Par 4):

Tom_Doak

Re: Rock Creek Golf Club Idaho - Pictorial
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 06:32:16 PM »
Bill:

Interesting project to me for several reasons.

At first I thought they'd stolen the name of the golf course from my project in Montana; then I remembered that our client Bill Foley bought this project out after it failed as the second course for the adjacent Black Rock development.

I'm familiar with the property because I looked at the property for the Black Rock owners several years ago.  I didn't pursue it, because I thought the site was just too steep.  I could see there would be some spectacular holes but couldn't see how to get up or across some of the hills, because they were so steep.  How did those parts work?  I assume this must be a carts-only course based on my tour?

Also, why does the par-3 have two greens?

Bill Satterfield

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 10:43:20 PM »
Correct, this is the course Bill Foley co-purchased hence the Rock Creek name.  There appears to be several people at Black Rock and at Rock Creek that think they will unite as one entity in the future, but my understanding is that there is some disagreement on how that will happen.

The elevation transitions were handled well.  The biggest elevation change is on the par three 5th hole which is a pretty big drop.  #3 plays uphill from the tee but working up that hill is no more extreme than what Augusta has.  A very small gully is crossed from the 9th tee to the fairway as the course climbs uphill and begins the transition from open ground to the trees.  The transition could be walked easily.  There is a pretty good drop from the 10th tee to the fairway but nothing crazy.  Overall, the property didn't feel extreme to me but some of that may be because I play a lot of mountain golf.  I'm not sure whether the club requires carts or not, but other than the transition from #5 tee to #6 tee I didn't think it would be that bad of a walk.  

The concept behind the double green on the 5th hole is that the player with honors from the previous hole gets to decide which green the group will be playing to.  I thought it was an intriguing idea that certainly makes the hole more memorable as well as delivering increased variety.

Here is another photo (6th hole) where you can see some of the holes in the distance.  Certainly running along the hillside but gaining/losing elevation at a manageable pace.

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 12:30:32 AM »
Looks pretty cool.  I'd rather hit to the upper green on the 5th.  That lower green looks like if you miss a little right you might end up in Montana.  

If you ever want to see a severe mountain site, check out Catamount (Weiskopf) up in Steamboat Springs, CO.  Some of the holes should have black diamond signs as they are more like ski runs than fairways.  149 slope from the tips!
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back