News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

Re: Ferry Point Progress
« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2015, 03:23:53 PM »
While you wait for Cavalier's awesome upcoming photo tour, you might enjoy how I saw the course back in October:

http://xchem.villanova.edu/~bausch/images/albums/FerryPoint/
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2015, 03:38:37 PM »
Pretty awesome photo tour yourself, Joe. Thanks for posting.

The more I see (and hear about) the course, the more I think it's like Liberty National, but better.
"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #77 on: April 02, 2015, 03:43:53 PM »
I just got done a round at Ferry Point. Here's the quick pros and cons.

Pros:
1. Fun course - I liked the design just fine, and was pleasantly surprised by some of the green complexes.
2. Conditions - conditions were perfect. Grass is still dormant and brown, and no high fescue, but the course was bouncy and firm, and the greens were perfect.
3. Visuals - the views of the city and the bridges are undeniably impressive, and the views in the other directions didn't bother me at all.

Cons:
1. Long rounds - when the wind is blowing and the fescue is knee high (which I was told today is the plan), the course is going to be brutally tough for weekend players. I see the potential for major traffic jams.
2. Noise - I was really surprised at how loud the bridge traffic is. Trucks coming down that bridge using the engine break are really quite noisy.
3. Cost - I'm good with $190 for the round. But an extra $70 for a cart for two players? I walked, but ouch. $14 for a hot dog? Just a normal hot dog? Adds up quick.

Anyway, those are my quick thoughts.

That's a very positive review, Jon. Thanks. I note in particular that all of your "cons" have nothing to do with the course/its architecture. When I saw the turf in the NYTimes picture, I was salivating to get out there ASAP and certainly before it gets green.

Benjamin:

This is true - I don't really have anything negative to say about the golf course. Conditions today were excellent, especially after the harsh winter (as you certainly know, many courses in this area are still closed). I enjoyed the golf.
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Jeff_Lewis

« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2015, 10:57:24 PM »
One of the hazards of charging a large number for access, is people often feel entitled to take their time.  A la Pebble Beach.   

John Percival

« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2015, 12:35:22 AM »
And feel the grounds crew can fix their ball marks or divots.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2015, 01:29:37 AM »
I believe that 30 or 40 foursomes played Ferry Point on Opening day, despite less than ideal weather conditions.

I also understand that the prefered time slots sold out quickly for upcoming play.

The weekend rates, while three times higher than most city courses, are still commensurate/competitive with other non-city alternatives.

John Percival

« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2015, 02:14:24 AM »
It will be interesting to see how play trends throughout the year and in coming years.

How many people will play it as a courtesy and then be done?
Will they have leagues to fill times?
Is there enough public play that will pay the high green fess on a regular basis?
More importantly, will there be enough play in the off -peak times.

Kinda like a restaurant. Fridays and Saturdays are almost a given. But what they do M-Th is often make or break.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2015, 02:43:57 AM »
I believe that 30 or 40 foursomes played Ferry Point on Opening day, despite less than ideal weather conditions.

I also understand that the prefered time slots sold out quickly for upcoming play.

The weekend rates, while three times higher than most city courses, are still commensurate/competitive with other non-city alternatives.

I guess we'll see, won't we?

But Pat, c'mon, you're just shilling because its Trump and you think the guy is like Captain America. Opening Day is always sold out and the "preferred spots" are so narrow as to forget there's 10 other hours of play to account for...

Unless you live in the Bronx or North Manhattan, add a toll in there too. what's the Whitestone these days? 13.00 round trip...$14 hot dog, $5 bottle of coke... I'm sure the fries are 7.00 bucks too....don't ask about the beer or a cocktail

This place has the economics of a strip club.

If the revenue framework of this facility is dependent on many people dropping $225-$300 bucks to do it each time, how can that be sustained  beyond novelty?

cheers

vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back