News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Stephens

Re: GLENEAGLES: Compelling KINGS COURSE
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2020, 09:30:43 AM »
Its a real pity that they never played the Ryder Cup or the Solheim Cup on the Kings Course.

There is a lot of room around the course to lengthen it to suit the current tour pros

Mark_Fine

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2020, 09:52:18 AM »
This post does bring back memories.  I have always loved this golf course but it has been too long since I played there and the way things are now, it will likely be a while before I get back there  :'(

Someone did point it out, but I do remember the bunkers being more like the one pictured with the brownish off-white sand.  I have to say I am not a fan of the bright white sand in the bunkers though they will likely fade in time as they get contaminated. 

Mike Bodo

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2020, 10:06:34 AM »
Mike -

The green fees are quite reasonable: 150 pounds for the Kings, Queens or Centenary for people not staying at the hotel.

https://gleneagles.com/golf/green-fees/

DT
Thanks for the info, David! That's very reasonable. My goal is to put together an itinerary of Scottish courses to play next year or 2022 - depending on the whole Covid situation plays out - that consists of both seaside and inland courses. Most likely a 10 day trip comprising of 7 - 8 courses. TOC and Dornoch will be part of that itinerary, as it may be the only time I make it there to play those courses. However, I also want to play some of the less heralded courses I've been fortunate to discover and learn about on GCA and hopefully even meet up with a few of you while I'm there. Gleneagles being one of them. I'd likely be making the trek across the pond with my youngest brother, who is a former PGA professional and currently works for Trackman. Thus, unless we find a third or fourth to join us on the trip we'll have two slots available to make a foursome each course we play. I intend to put together similar itineraries for England and Ireland, but those will be separate trips. I have to get the home of golf out of the way first before I do the others. LOL! More to follow in the months to come, but I am grateful for the course expose's and historical information brought forth by Sean and many other GCA members in the U.K. and elsewhere regarding the lesser known and less frequented courses prevalent throughout the British Isles. The hardest part will be determining the courses I don't play when I am there.
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

Kyle Cruickshank

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2020, 02:53:01 PM »
Sean

That was a really enjoable thread and brought back great memories of my time working there, albeit on the PGA Centenary Course (puts hard hat on).  I was volunteering at the Solheim Cup last year and had a good walk around the Kings and Queens and i had forgotten what a brilliant site it is. 

The bunkers did undergo a big renovation in 2015/16? and Capilary Concrete was installed.  As much as it doesn't suit the eye, the amount of rain they recieve up there is substantial and the use of bunker liner will be a big benefit to the Greenstaff.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2020, 09:22:56 PM »
I’m ready to fight. Kings is better than #2. I live in NC and have played my local 6x vs 1x at Gleneagles. Am I an anti-homer. Am I rating as an 18 HC vs a tour pro?  Do I like elevation and blind shots too much?  Chanelling my inner Kavanagh here.

Sean_A

« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2020, 07:11:49 AM »
Kyle

I was refering to the shape of the bunkers.  I find them dull and lifeless, especially when in groups. 

Matt

High praise!  I am not convinced Kings is better than P2, but I rate it very highly.  For me it should be in the conversation for top 10 GB&I and best inland course GB&I. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back